*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Did I actually get two? Or are they artifacts of some kind (ignore the plane trail bottom right).

P1000607-L.jpg

The big original can be found here, I didn't want to post 10mb in the thread.

http://lx3.smugmug.com/Nature/LX7-Astrophotography

And sorry, I started another thread because I wasn't aware of this one.

Difficult to tell, I think if any of those 2 are a meteor it would be the feinter one on the left...

Excuse my utter ignorance... but how can you have an 80degree FOV eyepiece? Surely your telescope prevents that due to its optics?

Well when I put this in my scope it will give 40x magnification, with 80 degrees AFOV (apparent fov), not FOV as we see things :)

Basically if you had 2 eyepieces giving 40x, but one was 80 degree and one was 50 degree, you would see the same object in the centre of each eyepiece, at the same size, but you would see a lot more around the object in the 80d EP due to the extra fov it has...

I'm not too sharp on the technical specs, so excuse me if I haven't answered the question too well...

Well when I put this in my scope it will give 40x magnification, with 80 degrees AFOV (apparent fov), not FOV as we see things :)

Basically if you had 2 eyepieces giving 40x, but one was 80 degree and one was 50 degree, you would see the same object in the centre of each eyepiece, at the same size, but you would see a lot more around the object in the 80d EP due to the extra fov it has...

I'm not too sharp on the technical specs, so excuse me if I haven't answered the question too well...

My brain doesn't compute that :( So does it sort of fish-eyes the image to cram more in? But if that's the case then surely everything would appear less magnified? Argh!

My brain doesn't compute that :( So does it sort of fish-eyes the image to cram more in? But if that's the case then surely everything would appear less magnified? Argh!

It seems that way, but it isn't :)

The image you see is still flat, but is spread over a larger area, I'll take a pic in a sec to help explain

Basically, as you look down the EP, you will see the image... In a low fov EP the image will be in a small portion of the EP, whereas larger fov EP's have a much larger image and larger 'window', as highlighted on these:

kkjqQxj.jpg.png

The 80 degree on the left, a standard 50 degree on the right

^^ Wow! So when you put your eye to them, with the 80degree there is simply a much large image (canvas) for you to see?

I image the 80 degree is a much nicer way to look at nebula and stuff? And what about things like the moon?

^^ Wow! So when you put your eye to them, with the 80degree there is simply a much large image (canvas) for you to see?

I image the 80 degree is a much nicer way to look at nebula and stuff? And what about things like the moon?

Yes, it's a lot easier to see the image too, once you've looked through a UWA EP they say looking through regular ones is like trying to see an image in a pin***** size space! Can't wait to see what it's like!

Yeah low magnification wide field eyepieces are good for faint things like nebulas, galaxies, and some clusters, as these objects are easier to see at a lower magnification as you can see more of their light, high mag EPs cut out a lot of light and make them look worse if anything, so bigger isn't always better!

High mag eyepieces are better for things like looking at the Moon as you say, anything bright (Moon, planets, double stars, brighter clusters), as you can get a more detailed view without worrying about making it too faint...

Yes, it's a lot easier to see the image too, once you've looked through a UWA EP they say looking through regular ones is like trying to see an image in a pin***** size space! Can't wait to see what it's like!

Yeah low magnification wide field eyepieces are good for faint things like nebulas, galaxies, and some clusters, as these objects are easier to see at a lower magnification as you can see more of their light, high mag EPs cut out a lot of light and make them look worse if anything, so bigger isn't always better!

High mag eyepieces are better for things like looking at the Moon as you say, anything bright (Moon, planets, double stars, brighter clusters), as you can get a more detailed view without worrying about making it too faint...

And you can get UWA (ultra wide angle) low and higher mag lenses I assume?

Well I've decided my next project will be fitting the dob with a setting circle and digital angle gauge...

Hopefully I'll have the money in the next month or so to afford doing it, however I really want to get it done before the 7th Sep ready for the EMS2 star party

We need some more pics of the scope set up with all the extra bits you bought for it Tibbz :)

Not much to show yet I'm afraid (apart from all the eyepieces so far)

Hopefully later this year maybe in a month or two I'll have the setting circle done, a dual speed focuser fitted and some knobs to replace the damn allen key screws!

Back
Top Bottom