*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Man of Honour
Just an unbelievable number of galaxies....

This video pans across a new Hubble image of galaxy cluster Abell 1689. This cluster acts like a cosmic lens, magnifying the light from objects lying behind it and making it possible for astronomers to explore incredibly distant regions of space.

This new image combines visible and infrared data from Hubble’s Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS) to reveal this patch of sky in greater detail than ever before, with a combined total exposure time of over 34 hours.

Soldato
our whole city's street lights have been turned off as of today from 12-5am

have to say the dark sky viewing of stars seems to have greatly improved

not so sure about crime rates - but we'll see - if I needed to go out to the car I'd definitely need a torch now as literally pitch black (rear service road - away from the houses)

I like the idea a lot but think 12 is a little early, a great start though and timely for all the comets n stuff we hope to be able to see soon.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
NASA's Grail mission sets out to answer whether our planet once had 2 moons. We already know that The Moon is part of Earth which broke away when a large body crashed into the planet but nobody has been able to explain why the far side of the Moon is less smooth than the Earth facing side and the current theory is that there was a smaller moon which slowly merged to become the Moon we see today in a solar -to quote- "splat" :D

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblo...g-vanished-companion-todays-most-popular.html

Saline in the comments has a valid point, this is one of those articles that isn't sensationalising anything with a grabbing headline or making fantastic claims. This is a pure scientific investigation. We are given the theory, shown how it's being investigated and the data analysed and we await the findings :)

Last edited:
Soldato
nobody has been able to explain why the far side of the Moon is less smooth than the Earth facing side
If less smooth = craters then...

Because objects possibly impacting on the Earth facing side were likely instead to hit Earth?

So the far side of the moon was more likely to be hit by objects because there wasn't something else in the way?

Man of Honour

Comet ISON (C/2012 S1) may become a dazzling sight as it traverses the inner solar system in late 2013. During the weeks before its Nov. 28 close approach to the sun, the comet will be observable with small telescopes, and binoculars. Observatories around the world and in space will track the comet during its scorching trek around the sun. If ISON survives its searing solar passage, which seems likely but is not certain, the comet may be visible to the unaided eye in the pre-dawn sky during December.
This animation shows two views of comet ISON's path through the inner solar system. The first is a view following the comet along its orbit. The second is a view perpendicular to ISON's orbit.
Like all comets, ISON is a clump of frozen gases mixed with dust. Often described as "dirty snowballs," comets emit gas and dust whenever they venture near enough to the sun that the icy material transforms from a solid to gas, a process called sublimation. Jets powered by sublimating ice also release dust, which reflects sunlight and brightens the comet.

On Oct. 1, ISON passes within about 6.5 million miles (10.5 million km) of Mars. As it goes by, it may be visible to some of NASA's Mars rovers and satellites, including the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and Curiosity.

Then, on Nov. 28, ISON will make a sweltering passage around the sun. The comet will approach within about 730,000 miles (1.2 million km) of its visible surface, which classifies ISON as a sungrazing comet. In late November, its icy material will furiously sublimate and release torrents of dust as the surface erodes under the sun's fierce heat, all as sun-monitoring satellites look on. Around this time, the comet may become bright enough to glimpse just by holding up a hand to block the sun's glare.

Sungrazing comets often shed large fragments or even completely disrupt following close encounters with the sun, but for ISON neither fate is a forgone conclusion. Whatever happens, scientists will be able to learn more about comets by how it interacts with the sun's tenuous atmosphere, the corona.

Following ISON's solar swingby, the comet will depart the sun and move toward Earth, appearing in morning twilight through December. The comet will swing past Earth on Dec. 26, approaching within 39.9 million miles (64.2 million km) or about 167 times farther than the moon.

I hope that it doesn't disappoint.

Soldato
Man of Honour
The Sky At Night could be axed - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-one-year-after-Sir-Patrick-Moores-death.html

Petition here - https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-bbc-please-do-not-axe-the-sky-at-night

I can't fathom the BBC considering this. Surely this kind of program is the exact reason we pay our license fee? It's recognised world wide and has inspired and educated countless numbers of people. What other regular astronomy program is there?

Thread about this here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18544007

Soldato
Got some custom made collimation knobs for the dob, a lot better than the cheapo plastic things from the US, and half the price! :D

Hopefully can fit them this weekend in preparation for Kelling next weekend :D :D

Also a pic I took a week ago I forgot to share here, then again I may as well just send it to you Spook as you're the only one who will be looking :D :p

Quick Moon by Tibbz2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom