*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
Kelling the weekend :D :D :D

By wild guess I can probably say nobody here will be going (or cares tbh) but I'm excited! :D

An event every proper amateur astronomer should be excited for though so I have my reasons!

Soldato
I'm beginning to wonder whether you're going there for stargazing. :p:D

:D :p

I've been told the skies there are the best in the country, so I can really chomp through the messier list with the dob for once :cool:

Will also be looking out for a camera and proper mount in the stalls on the saturday :)

Do you have a scope or are you just an 'armchair astronomer'? :p

Soldato
We might have to move to Portugal for that. :p The night sky is fantastic where we go regularly!

You could take one of the portable scopes as a possibility? Aperture of a scope counts for nothing when you get dark skies, even large binos are great I would imagine!

I would love to go abroad for some good skies but the dob is a bit big for the suitcase! :D

Soldato
Well got here yesterday evening to be greeted by lots of cloud. Decided to have an early night and save my energy for tonight as the forecast is far better, fingers crossed!

Now time to visit the trade stands, then fix these new collimation bolts! :)

Man of Honour
Well got here yesterday evening to be greeted by lots of cloud. Decided to have an early night and save my energy for tonight as the forecast is far better, fingers crossed!

Now time to visit the trade stands, then fix these new collimation bolts! :)

Hope it stays clear for you tonight. Don't forget to take lots of pics. :)

Soldato
Last night was a bit of a let down compared to what the forecasts said. Cleared completely from about 10-12, then a massive bank of cloud came over. Gave up after waiting 2 hours and went to bed as most others did too. Was told it cleared up an hour after and was crystal, typical :rolleyes:

My telrad and EPs dewed up pretty early and I just gave up with my visual altogether, just couldn't be bothered with it, and turned my attention to the camera before the clouds returned. Ended up teaming up with someone to find some objects in their dob afterwards. Plenty of shouting at idiots driving through the site with high beams on their cars and people turning on lights in their tents etc. :rolleyes:

Great weekend as a social meeting, was a great laugh, shame about the weather really.

An angered statement from last night that sums up most people's thoughts on the matter: This hobby is ****ing ****! :p

Soldato
How much would people say that is all worth? :eek:

Some serious kit there Tibbz, it's great to be part of this universe :)

Yup, a few kits there just in the local area of people were worth nearly 20 grand!! :eek::eek:

Nice pics Tibbz, did you get any astro images?

Nothing special really, shoved the camera on a tripod for a bit and got a few widefield bits which turned out okay. I need to process them to tease some more stars out and I'll post them in here tomorrow evening hopefully :)

Back
Top Bottom