*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
First widefield attempts finished.

Slightly better, played with processing them:

Cassiopeia widefield by Tibbz2, on Flickr

Cygnus widefield by Tibbz2, on Flickr

Shame Cassiopeia has such a light sky, but it was right over Boston so can't be helped. Cygnus and the MW was nice and dark overhead though :)

Used a 1000D and regular 18-55mm lens @ 18mm, ISO 800, f4.5, 10 x 30 second subs. Stacked in DSS and processed in GIMP.

Soldato
Good stuff Tibbz.:)

Cheers. I'm happy with it being my first attempt, and managed to get andromeda and the double cluster into it, even when imaging on a static tripod.

Well chuffed :D Looking forwards to playing with some proper imaging cameras and mounts next weekend at my first star party (as well as observing of course)

Here we go a free Universe programme.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

Wow forgot about that... Haven't played it in ages because it always used to crash!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Interesting article today on BBC about new findings that could mean Life kick started on Earth via fragments from Mars since a key ingredient needed for the reaction needed for early life to form wouldn't have been possible on Earth billions of years ago but would have been on Mars which still had its magnetic field and therefore atmosphere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23872765

Associate
First widefield attempts finished.
]images]
Shame Cassiopeia has such a light sky, but it was right over Boston so can't be helped. Cygnus and the MW was nice and dark overhead though :)

Used a 1000D and regular 18-55mm lens @ 18mm, ISO 800, f4.5, 10 x 30 second subs. Stacked in DSS and processed in GIMP.

I like the Unprocessed cygnus a little more :) I think. I prefer the darker sky, even though you cant see quite as many stars.

Brilliant focus, and a nice shot of the Coat Hanger :)

Soldato
Interesting article today on BBC about new findings that could mean Life kick started on Earth via fragments from Mars since a key ingredient needed for the reaction needed for early life to form wouldn't have been possible on Earth billions of years ago but would have been on Mars which still had its magnetic field and therefore atmosphere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23872765

That's been talked about for years... We ARE the martians :)

Soldato
our whole city's street lights have been turned off as of today from 12-5am

have to say the dark sky viewing of stars seems to have greatly improved

not so sure about crime rates - but we'll see - if I needed to go out to the car I'd definitely need a torch now as literally pitch black (rear service road - away from the houses)

Soldato

not so sure about crime rates - but we'll see - if I needed to go out to the car I'd definitely need a torch now as literally pitch black (rear service road - away from the houses)

That's fantastic! Where about is this?

Do you recon it makes much difference?

Soldato

Wow that's great! WHere abouts? I hope this becomes more widespread!

I don't live in a town/city/village so I don't have a massive problem, but Boston gives off quite a bit of light pollution to me East so it would be nice for that to shut down :D

Man of Honour

This video shows part of the IMAX short film "Hubble: Galaxies Across Space and Time". This film transforms images and data from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope into a voyage that sweeps viewers across the Universe and back into cosmic history. The film pans through the vibrant and diverse panorama of thousands of galaxies in an image from the Great Observatories Origins Deep Survey (GOODS). The ensuing 3D journey through these galaxies provides more than just a new perspective in space; it also takes the audience back in time. Because light takes time to journey across space, the galaxies farther away from Earth are seen further back in cosmic history. The virtual voyage reveals galaxies as they appeared billions of years ago, when they were still in the process of forming.

Soldato
Got back from a superb weekend at EMS2, my first star party, and it might be hard to beat!

After a forecast of flooding at the weekend, we ended up with two crystal clear nights of observing, well chuffed. I only got 10 new Messiers to add to my list, as most the time we were sat just looking up, chatting, or I was going round drooling over some of the rigs there! (£20,000 for one telescope set up!)

Finished off a top weekend with a look at the Sun through a specialized scope (again pricey at £3500!) for the first time, stunning!

Soldato
Nice one Tibbz, did you get any pics of any gear setup or the sky's :)

Unfortunately I didn't, as I didn't have a camera with me :(

Everyone is just getting back too, so there aren't may other pics up yet, but this is one from early on yesterday night from a chap who's pitch I was sharing (My dob is the one on it's side at the very bottom! :p)

t73rvwt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom