*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
It's the girlfriends birthday soon and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what books are worth buying. She is obviously a Brian Cox fan, but I don't know what his books are like.

I was looking at A Universe from nothing by Lawrence M. Krauss, as I think he's great.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
It's the girlfriends birthday soon and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what books are worth buying. She is obviously a Brian Cox fan, but I don't know what his books are like.

I was looking at A Universe from nothing by Lawrence M. Krauss, as I think he's great.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of subject are you looking at for a book??

Cox's books are nice and simple. Why does E=mc^2 is probably the most pop-sci book of Cox's and is pretty simple so good for those who don't know a massive amount about physics. However his book on the Quantum Universe is a bit more maths based towards the end, nothing extreme though.

Soldato
What kind of subject are you looking at for a book??

Cox's books are nice and simple. Why does E=mc^2 is probably the most pop-sci book of Cox's and is pretty simple so good for those who don't know a massive amount about physics. However his book on the Quantum Universe is a bit more maths based towards the end, nothing extreme though.

We're not Physics experts, so something quite basic would be better I think. She said a book by Michio Kaku was quite heavy reading.

Soldato
We're not Physics experts, so something quite basic would be better I think. She said a book by Michio Kaku was quite heavy reading.

Marcus Chown has a good basic series of books, including "Quantum Theory Cannot Harm You" and "Afterglow of Creation".

If you haven't read Hawking's Brief History of Time I suggest that should be the first thing to go for, superb book!

Carl Sagan's COSMOS isn't massively educational as such, but is a superb read for anyone interested in astronomy and the Universe.

Soldato
Marcus Chown has a good basic series of books, including "Quantum Theory Cannot Harm You" and "Afterglow of Creation".

If you haven't read Hawking's Brief History of Time I suggest that should be the first thing to go for, superb book!

Carl Sagan's COSMOS isn't massively educational as such, but is a superb read for anyone interested in astronomy and the Universe.

I'll have a look at those.

Thanks Tibbz

Back
Top Bottom