*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
^^ Fingers crossed!

When will we have a thumbs up, it's made it around the Sun?

Think its closest to the Sun is on the 28th next month, I think it's still quite big so has a large chance of getting round, but will certainly not be as good as some people hyped, maybe a decent binocular sight though.

Permabanned
Hey guys, I've been interested in astronomy for years now and own a very small telescope and was just wondering when Comet Ison will be visible to the naked eye?

Also, when will a 70mm refractor be able to see it? just been so long out the hobby I'm light years behind on current astronomical events. Need to start looking up again.

Soldato

Thanks for the link...

I assume this is a typo - "ISON’s average speed throughout October will be 81.725mph," and should be 81,725?

But the important stuff:-

Comet ISON is roughly heading towards the centre of our Solar System. It will pass within 1.2 million miles of the Sun’s surface on 28th November when it reaches perihelion (the point when its at its closest to the Sun) before being whipped around to head back ‘roughly’ in the direction it came.

Comet ISON's PathAs ISON makes its outbound journey, it will pass over the northern hemisphere of Earth at a distance of around 40,000,000 miles on 26th December. If ISON lives up to the hype, you could expect to see the Comet with the unaided eye anywhere between the middle of November until the middle of January 2014 (depending where you are on the planet).​

Associate
Finally got around to getting the telescope unpacked last and was rewarded with a really clear view of Jupiter and 4/5 moons, really clear skies made the job a bit easier, must get around to calibrating the finder with the scope though, took ages before I could I got the 'holy #%$@! That's Jupiter!" moment :)

Tired now, seemed a good idea at 4am!

Soldato
Finally got around to getting the telescope unpacked last and was rewarded with a really clear view of Jupiter and 4/5 moons, really clear skies made the job a bit easier, must get around to calibrating the finder with the scope though, took ages before I could I got the 'holy #%$@! That's Jupiter!" moment :)

Pics of the telescope would be nice bud :)

Associate
Nothing special, just an 8" Dobby.

photo.JPG

Associate
Thanks for letting me know RIZZEE, something good for me and my Dad could go do whilst I'm back home. I loved the pics he use to take from the ISS, hopefully some of them are in the book!

I'm sure it's been asked on here before, but what would be a good starting telescope? In the range of £150-£200. Its always been something that i've wanted to start doing, but just haven't. Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Nothing special, just an 8" Dobby.

You say nothing special, but I think 8" dobs are the best visual scopes possible due to the perfect balance between size, price and some stunning views :)

Great choice :)

Lining the finder scope up isn't too difficult, start by pointing the dob at the moon, then put the finder crosshairs onto the moon, then move to jupiter to fine tune it :)

I would recommend a Telrad finder or something similar for a dob, the straight through finder is back breaking work when trying to find things high in the sky :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for letting me know RIZZEE, something good for me and my Dad could go do whilst I'm back home. I loved the pics he use to take from the ISS, hopefully some of them are in the book!

I'm sure it's been asked on here before, but what would be a good starting telescope? In the range of £150-£200. Its always been something that i've wanted to start doing, but just haven't. Thanks in advance.

For visual observing, especially beginning out too, dobsonians are always the best choice :)

For that price you could get a new Sky Watcher 6" dob, or an 8" one second hand I reckon :)

Soldato

Try again in 2 months (first few days of Jan), when it will be at its closest and you'll be able to see it at a more sensible time (eg: 10pm) :)

Back
Top Bottom