*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

I've just seen the pictures you posted Cosimo. They look a bit like Stellarium. :) Nice shots of the "Big Dipper"!

Taken with a Canon Powershot G1X MkII on a GorillaPod Hybrid tripod. The night sky where we stay in Portugal is just amazing. There is no light pollution and it would be ideal for a large telescope.

Explore the Moon and Mars with Google Maps:

To start your interplanetary adventure, look for Earth mode at the bottom left of your map (on supported browsers). Click on “Earth,” zoom all the way out until you see the entire globe, and you’ll see these two celestial bodies pop up at the bottom of
your screen.

Spin Mars and watch the atmosphere change around the red planet; tilt the Moon and imagine yourself gliding along its peaks and craters; and to brush up on your astronomy, click on one of the thousands of labeled topographic features.

French scientists have created this 'trailer' for Rosetta's arrival at comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko on the 6th of August:

Rosetta will be the first probe ever to rendezvous and enter orbit around a comet.

This is an incredible project. I remember seeing something about this when they were launching it. It will be some shot if they hit it!

Here are a few of my 1st attempts at DSO imaging while we are at it

The Veil Nebula. Was 45 x 50sec subs but have not been able to stack them all as yet as Nebulosity is throwing Exception Errors at me.

The Dumbell Nebula. This was only 8 x 40 sec subs.

The Whirlpool Galaxy. Can't remeber how many this one was...think it is 40 x 20s subs.

Am still yet to get my polar Alignment down, hence the streaking in the pictures. Also need to work on getting a guider up and running. In the process of modding a webcam, but that is proving to be a challenge...which I accept.

None of the above images have had any post processing done to them yet, have ony been stacked and slightly stretched in Nebulosity......

EDIT:- Am getting a feeling I have donethis before on here with my Whirlpool pic.......

NASA's Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer (RXTE) satellite signals provide compelling evidence that the object, known as M82 X-1, is one of only a few midsize black holes known:

A new look at Triton:

Sail past Neptune's moon Triton, with data obtained from NASA's Voyager 2 spacecraft in 1989. The historical footage has been restored and used to construct the best-ever global color map of the strange moon.

The new Triton map has a resolution of 1,970 feet (600 meters) per pixel. The colors have been enhanced to bring out contrast but are a close approximation to Triton's natural colors. Voyager's "eyes" saw in colors slightly different from human eyes, and this map was produced using orange, green and blue filter images.

In 1989, most of the northern hemisphere was in darkness and unseen by Voyager. Because of the speed of Voyager's visit and the slow rotation of Triton, only one hemisphere was seen clearly at close distance. The rest of the surface was either in darkness or seen as blurry markings.

Back
Top Bottom