***The Official Asus Eee PC Thread***

$199 Laptop :eek:

http://www.eeeuser.com/wiki/eee_pc_701

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FEeLJltAHRE (bob your head to the funky music lol)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLJJw6WRqM

"US, Europe, China, and Taiwan will begin to receive the first shipments of the Eee PC 701 in September, according to an article in Digitimes. The first shipment will target 20,000 units and the article speculates that it will most likely be the $349 “mainstream” model. The lower priced $199 and $239 models will come in subsequent shipments."

I really hope the UK get a good price on these, these are ideal for me, ultra portable, comes with all the software that I'll ever need, the perfect laptop for browsing the net on the move, with a price point as set above I really think this is the start of something special, I really think this is going to revolutionise the mobile computing industry, most cheap laptops these days can't play games anyway and have very poor battery life and they are far from portable, most end up just getting used for surfing the net and basic admin work, the Eee PC 701 is an ideal replacement for low end laptops, hopefully if these become a hit other companys will compete and we'll have a decent selection of cheap ultra portables to choose from, I've allways invisioned that in the future tecknowledgey will become so cheap that everyone will be able to join in, I think this is a small stepping stone towards that vision.

Introduction
The ASUS Eee PC 701 is an ultraportable notebook computer with an estimated starting price of $199 USD.1) It was developed jointly by Intel and ASUS based on Intel's Classmate PC project. Unlike some others in its weight class, notably UMPCs, this computer features the traditional clamshell design, touchpad pointing device, and laptop keyboard. Its appeal lies in its combination of portability, low cost, relatively high performance, and ease of use.

Specifications
Display: 7″ TFT-LCD @ 800×480
CPU: 900MHz Intel mobile processor, most probably Celeron M ULV 353
Chipset: Mobile Intel 910GML Express
OS: customized Xandros Linux with “Easy” and “Standard” GUI modes
Graphics: Intel UMA (shared memory) with external VGA-out connector
Memory: 512MB DDR2-400 RAM
Storage: 2, 4, 8, or 16GB SSD (2GB model may not be available in USA)
Wired communications: 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, 56K modem
Wireless communications: 802.11b/g Wi-Fi (Atheros AR5BXB632)), possible Bluetooth integration
Ports: 3 or 4 USB 2.0, MMC/SD(HC)/MS(PRO) card reader, microphone and headphone
Webcam: 300K-pixel video camera
Audio: Hi-Definition Audio CODEC; built-in stereo speakers, microphone
Battery life: 3 hours (4-cell NiMH: 5200mAh, 2S2P); different models may get different batteries
Dimensions: 22.5 x 16.5 x 2.1~3.5 cm (8.9 x 6.5 x 0.9~1.4 in)
Weight: 0.89 kg (1.96 lbs)
Colors: grey/white, charcoal/black
Price: $199-$299 in USA, could be more expensive in Europe and elsewhere
Hardware
Unlike some others in its weight class, notably UMPCs, this computer features the traditional clamshell design, touchpad pointing device, and laptop keyboard. However, it uses a solid state drive (SSD) based on non-volatile NAND flash memory, rendering it less susceptible to shock damage. Disk-access times are substantially lower than that of mechanical hard drives, as well, but sustained transfer rates (read and write) will likely also be lower. In practical use, the SSD allows the computer to boot quickly while consuming less power and extending battery life.

The exterior design is fairly symmetrical. It appears the touchpad (slightly recessed) has one large button, but it reportedly hides a second3) (as is the case with ASUS's A8 series of notebooks); a marked scroll strip can be seen on the right edge. The keyboard is smaller than full-size, as would be expected, but the widescreen display does not fill the panel space and leaves an unusually wide bezel all around. The surrounding black area is used for a webcam (top), ASUS logo (bottom), and stereo speakers (sides). The chrome power button resides on the right side of a sturdy-looking hinge, and a horizontal array of four different-colored status LEDs lines the front-right edge. These are indicators for power (green), low-battery warning (red), disk access (blue), and Wi-Fi (aqua), in that order.

The removable battery sits at the bottom-back, which raises the possibility for extended packs for longer runtimes. Also on the bottom is a centrally located panel cover secured by two small Phillips-head screws, and this is surrounded by a series of vent holes for a reportedly quiet fan (no vents on the sides). There is much speculation on the purpose of the panel cover, but the most plausible is to allow RAM and/or flash-memory expansion, and possibly replacement of the built-in Wi-Fi adapter (presumably a Mini PCI card). Finally, four rubber feet (two round ones at the front, two long at the back) elevate the notebook off the surface for proper airflow.

On the left side of the computer are, from front to back: 3.5mm (1/8”) headphone and microphone ports, two USB 2.0 ports (one may be removed), and RJ11 and RJ45 jacks. On the right side are: MMC/SD(HC)/MS(PRO) card reader (one slot), two USB 2.0 ports, VGA-out connector, and Kensington lock. (A possible design flaw may prevent simultaneous use of the latter two.4)) A DC power-input jack (+9.5V x 2.315A = 22W) is the only connection on the back; it is to the left of the battery when viewed from the front. The AC-DC adapter/charger is reportedly very small, akin to that for a mobile phone.5)

Processor
900MHz Intel mobile processor, most probably Celeron M ULV 3536):

Packaging: Socket 479
Manufacturing process: 90nm
FSB: 100MHz x 4 = 400MHz
Multiplier: 9
L1 cache: 64KB
L2 cache: 512KB
Voltage: 0.94V
TDP: 5.5W
Chipset
Mobile Intel 910GML Express7):

supports up to 2GB single-channel DDR-333 or dual-channel DDR2-400
GMA 900 integrated graphics (166MHz/160MHz @ 1.05v)
ICH6-M southbridge
Graphics
Intel UMA (shared memory) with external VGA-out connector; supports dual independent displays

Memory

512MB DDR2-400 RAM

Storage
2, 4, 8, or 16GB SSD with Silicon Motion NAND flash memory8) (2GB model may not be available in USA)

Connectivity
Wired communications: 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, 56K modem
Wireless communications: 802.11b/g Wi-Fi (Atheros AR5BXB63), possible Bluetooth integration
Physical Dimensions, Appearance
Dimensions: 22.5 x 16.5 x 2.1~3.5 cm (8.9 x 6.5 x 0.9~1.4 in)
Weight: 0.89 kg (1.96 lbs)
Colors: grey/white, charcoal/black
Battery Information
Battery life: 3 hours (4-cell NiMH: 5200mAh, 2S2P); different models may get different batteries

Software
Operating System
The computer reportedly boots in under ten seconds (ASUS claims within fifteen) and shuts down in five. The OS is an ASUS-customized variant of Xandros Linux with “Easy” and “Standard” GUI modes designed for novice and advanced users, respectively. (Early prototypes appear to run a modified version of Xandros Desktop Professional, but final production models will likely ship with a variant of Home Edition or Home Edition Premium.) “Easy” mode consists of a custom tabbed interface, organized by task, with large icons under each tab to launch applications, files, or websites. “Standard” mode is essentially the normal Xandros desktop (but without Xandros branding) and resembles the Windows XP desktop environment, in particular the “Luna” visual style.

"Easy" mode
Horizontal tabs run across the top of the display, and, once clicked, the active tab's icons are laid out in a 5×3 grid below. As is the norm, icons must be double-clicked to launch. According to one report9), there is no need for a second (right-click) touchpad button in this software environment, which ASUS calls their “one-click intuitive interface.”

There are currently six tabs, in this order: Internet, Work, Learn, Play, Settings, Favorites. They present the following icons, in their respective order (from left to right, top to bottom):

Internet: Web, Web Mail, Information, Web Storage, Messenger, Skype, Network, 3G (may be removed), eMagazine, Wikipedia
Work: Documents, Spreadsheets, Presentations, Google Docs, PDF Reader, Mail, Calculator, File Manager, PIM, World Clock, Palm Pilot Tool, Anti-Virus, Screen Capture, Project, Dictionary
Learn: Typing, Tux Paint
Play: Penguin Racer, Solitaire, probably more (order unknown)
Settings: Volume, Full Desktop, Restart, Wallpaper, Console, Printers
Favorites: unknown; probably lists most-used applications from the other tabs
(Note: ASUS says they are working on adding more open-source educational programs to the current list10), hence the existence of few icons in the Learn tab.)

In addition, always present in this mode are a Menu button at the lower-left corner of the screen and a red “off” button in the lower-right (next to the digital clock) to quickly shut down the system. These features are missing in the “Standard” mode; the Menu button is replaced by a Launch button.

"Standard" mode
Typical of a Linux graphical desktop, this mode can presumably be activated by selecting Settings → Full Desktop in the “Easy” mode. The default desktop icons are Trash and Home. Also by default, there are two switchable desktop sessions. Shortcuts to the console, Firefox, Thunderbird, file manager, and Show Desktop (in that order) are to the right of the Launch button on the bottom panel.

Included Applications
AbiWord - word processor
CodeWeavers CrossOver Linux - allows running Windows programs (may be removed or offered as trial software)
Gnumeric - spreadsheet program
KPresenter - presentation program
Kopete - instant messaging client
Mozilla Firefox - graphical web browser
Mozilla Thunderbird - email client
MPlayer - media player
OpenOffice - office suite
PDF Reader (unknown)
Penguin Racer - game
Skype - VoIP program
Solitaire - game
Tux Paint - bitmap graphics editor for children
Xandros Antivirus (powered by ClamAV)
Xandros Control Center (customized version of KDE Control Center)
Xandros File Manager (replaces Konqueror in KDE)
Xandros Photo Manager (powered by digiKam)
Windows and Other OSes

ASUS claims the computer can run Windows XP, presumably with appropriate driver support from the manufacturer, but that OS will not be included to keep the price down. Various Linux and BSD distributions should also install successfully, thanks to the use of Linux-compatible hardware. Due to the lack of an integrated optical drive, however, users who wish to install Windows or an alternative OS must boot from a USB device (usually flash memory or an external CD/DVD drive).

Earlier versions of Windows will probably not work without proper drivers (perhaps with the exception of 2000, given its NT roots and similarity to XP). Running Windows Vista is most definitely out of the question, not only because of the need for drivers, but also because of the computer's performance and space constraints (notably CPU, RAM, and graphics capabilities). Compatibility with Mac OS X is uncertain, but the Pentium M-based CPU lacks support for the SSE3 instruction set required by Apple's Rosetta dynamic translator. Rosetta enables applications compiled for the PowerPC architecture to run on x86 processors. (Note: It is prohibited to run Mac OS on non-Apple hardware under the EULA.)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice, I wonder if Bioshock will run on it :confused:

I shall be getting one of those if they really are that cheap and good ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
heh, that would be ideal for when I take my gap year, can carry it around with me + external hdd and store all my pictures easily!!!. Though in 2 years time there should be a faster version :)

Even so Im tempted to get one of them, be usefull in lectures, and for surfing the net wirelessly etc!

Caporegime
Don't htc make one just like this but with a touchscreen instead?

The HTC Shift http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_shift-1934.php

800x480 7" screen
1GB RAM
30GB HDD
1.2GHz Via Cpu
wifi, gprs, edge, bluetooth, 3g, hsdpa (3.5g)
vista business
1.2mp video camera

I don't seem them as revolutionising anything. They are just small laptops, small screen, crippling resolution, might as well get a pda, at least that fits in your pocket, has 4x the battery life and your not stuck with slow 3g either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Energize said:

800x480 7" screen
1GB RAM
30GB HDD
1.2GHz Via Cpu
wifi, gprs, edge, bluetooth, 3g, hsdpa
vista business
1.2mp video camera

I don't seem them as revolutionising anything. They are just small laptops, small screen, crippling resolution, might as well get a pda, at least that fits in your pocket.

HTC Shifts are expensive.

Could get a PDA for the same price, quite a decent one in fact... but these new cheap, small laptops are more like computers, so will probably have more applications, speed and features.

Associate
samsung make a mini-touchscreen pc thing but its expensive, and on the site it comes under the pda section: link to it it also uses a 1.8inch hard drive rather than flash memory. not a 100% new idea but i can see it being popular.

Energize said:

800x480 7" screen
1GB RAM
30GB HDD
1.2GHz Via Cpu
wifi, edge, bluetooth, 3g, hsdpa
vista business
1.2mp video camera

I don't seem them as revolutionising anything. They are just small laptops, small screen, crippling resolution, might as well get a pda, at least that fits in your pocket therefore truly portable.

Are you serious, first of all the HTC shift is like £800, the ASUS Eee PC 701 is $199 dollers, you then say that it has crippling resolution but advise getting a pda, yes I'm sure the pda resolution is very workable surfing the net :rolleyes: , this $199 laptop does everything that I use my £399 completely unportable peice of junk laptop for, I want something that I can shove in my back-pac and is'nt gonna way it down that has a qwerty keyboard so I can surf the net and respond to emails on the move, this for me is perfect, I really think this is going to take off, mainly due to the price point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
lowrider007 said:
Are you serious, first of all the HTC shift is like £800, the ASUS Eee PC 701 is $199 dollers, you then say that it has crippling resolution but advise getting a pda, yes I'm sure the pda resolution is very workable surfing the net :rolleyes:

640x480 on a 4" screen is fine for browsing the net. Asus on the other hand are advertising their product as being practical for excel, and office work, which it clearly isn't. Htc have given no price info for the shift yet.

, this $199 laptop does everything that I use my £399 completely unportable peice of junk laptop for, I want something that I can shove in my back-pac and is'nt gonna way it down that has a qwerty keyboard so I can surf the net and respond to emails on the move, this for me is perfect, I really think this is going to take off, mainly due to the price point.

Unless your laptop is 17" or 19", or your incredibly weak shouldn't have a problem fitting it or carrying it in a backpack. I fit my 15.4" in one fine.

Last edited:
Energize said:
640x480 on a 4" screen is fine for browsing the net. Asus on the other hand are advertising their product as being practical for excel, and office work, which it clearly isn't.

so 800x600 is crippling on the asus laptop but 640x400 is fine on the smaller screen on a pda, o.........k........,and what makes you think that it's not practical for excel and office work, do you remember The Toshiba Libretto 70CT http://www.isi.edu/~brian/libretto/, this was a fantastic hit with business users due to its good battery life and being ultra portable, you should really do your research mate, I've had a keen intrest in portables for over 10 years and the Libretto became so famous in japan they even had fan clubs setup for them.

Unless your laptop is 17" or 19", or your incredibly weak shouldn't have a problem fitting it or carrying it in a backpack. I fit my 15.4" in one fine.

please don't be silly mate, anyone can carry a 15inch laptop around, just because many people would prefer not to have that weight on thier back does'nt make them weak, trying to insinuate that is just being childish :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Soldato
Energize said:
640x480 on a 4" screen is fine for browsing the net. Asus on the other hand are advertising their product as being practical for excel, and office work, which it clearly isn't. Htc have given no price info for the shift yet.

I will be traveling for a year however, so need something light weight as I will be carrying sleeping equiqment, tent, food, clothes etc etc :)

Caporegime
lowrider007 said:
so 800x600 is crippling on the asus laptop but 640x400 is fine on the smaller screen on a pda, o.........k........,and what makes you think that it's not practical for excel and office work,

Personal experience. I said 640x480 was fine for internet browsing not excel. And no I've never heard of the The Toshiba Libretto, because I've never met anyone thats had it, or seen it on any news websites. So it can't have been that popular here.

please don't be silly mate, anyone can carry a 15inch laptop around, just because many people would prefer not to have that weight on thier back does'nt make them weak,.

I barely notice the 2.2KG when it's on my back, nevermind the 1kg of the 12" laptops, it's not really an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, but this is awesome.

I'd definitely think about getting one of these. Lab tops for me a completely functional things. All I need is internet explorer and microsft office. The smaller the better.

If the price is £150ish then I will seriously consider getting one of these.

Back
Top Bottom