***The Official Asus Eee PC Thread***

one note is also in 2003 ....shouldnt be that bad in going from one type to another .... of versions of office .... nah id keep the linux distro tbh

id take a 8gb with 256 whck in a gig and have the camera and if it does end up with the bluetooth that too =D .... ocuk could you do a deal for that add the gig pweaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee =D

Last edited:
I'd like one of these.

It fits in that niche for me where I don't really need a laptop.
I imagine it will be ideal for people who use skype/msn a lot.

My wifes likes taking masses of piictures, but is not a mad PC user, so it would be ideal as a viewer.
You can pay a lot for a small viewer, but this thing does so much more.

If you want to run windows your gonna have to pay another £50 for it anyway and get a model with a big enough hdd to actually install it on. :p Unfortunatley £120 is the absolute minimum it can be due to tax. And the price has to be made relative to be fair, otherwise youd have americans complaining.

One thing I wondered is why have they put speakers on it? Anyone is going to be using headphones with it and it just makes it look bad. Sony have 11" screens on laptops that are almost the same size, they should have increased the screen size and got rid of the speakers.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure what you mean by 'be made relative'? They'd still be more expensive in England at £120 than they were in the US. That said, I still see them being depressingly close to a 1:1 £:$

Well by relative I mean cost the same to someone in the usa as it does to someone in the uk.

Say the avg wage in the us is $30,000 and the uk £20,000 then british people earn more in absolute terms than the americans so you increase the cost of goods by 25% when you sell to the uk so that it costs the same % of our wages as it does to the americans.

If you read a few forums it seems a lot of people thought wow thats cheap I'll have some of that.
Then it seems to go sour.
It seems it's been delayed..

We are expecting the Eee PC to hit the market Mid/Sept to Early/Oct.

Then the price seems to have changed. It's gone on pre-order on a large canadian site with prices below.

This seems to be the latest and least speculative information available.
ASUS Eee PC700 Celeron M 7IN 800X480 WLAN 10/100 DDR2 256MB 2GB LAN Linux Notebook (Eee700/2G/256M) (25881) $257.38 or 284.99CAD
ASUS Eee PC700 Celeron M 7IN 800X480 WLAN 10/100 DDR2 256MB 2GB LAN Linux Camera Notebook W/ Bag (Eee700/2G/256M/Camera) (25884) $285.10 or 329.99CAD
ASUS Eee PC700 Celeron M 7IN 800X480 WLAN 10/100 DDR2 512MB 4GB LAN Linux Camera Notebook W/ Bag (Eee700/4G/512M/Camera) (25885) $388.05 or 439.99CAD
The question is: are these the final prices for the United States as well, or do they include some sort of Canadian import tax or upcharge?

The flavour of linux I believe is xandros.
Seems very cross platform with windows.

I barely notice the 2.2KG when it's on my back, nevermind the 1kg of the 12" laptops, it's not really an issue.

Well you are a man(i think?) and you aint a little kiddy(i think?), and a lot of people have to carry a full backpack around quite often, which will become a strain sometime or another, Im in the market for a little silly laptop to play about with and to use for uni and these look quite attractive, the weight issue is a big one for me, as my backpack already gets packed up full for uni without a laptop ontop of that, and next year its going to be full of gym gear etc too.
So it being so lightweight is a bonus, since its going to be a lot easier to carry in my hands.
I do agree about resolution though, not sure if it will be sufficient for me =/

It's certainly tempting for that price. If they can get it in the UK for <200 then it would be ideal to carry around the country to various hotels.

If you read a few forums it seems a lot of people thought wow thats cheap I'll have some of that.
Then it seems to go sour.
It seems it's been delayed..

We are expecting the Eee PC to hit the market Mid/Sept to Early/Oct.

Then the price seems to have changed. It's gone on pre-order on a large canadian site with prices below.

This seems to be the latest and least speculative information available.
ASUS Eee PC700 Celeron M 7IN 800X480 WLAN 10/100 DDR2 256MB 2GB LAN Linux Notebook (Eee700/2G/256M) (25881) $257.38 or 284.99CAD
ASUS Eee PC700 Celeron M 7IN 800X480 WLAN 10/100 DDR2 256MB 2GB LAN Linux Camera Notebook W/ Bag (Eee700/2G/256M/Camera) (25884) $285.10 or 329.99CAD
ASUS Eee PC700 Celeron M 7IN 800X480 WLAN 10/100 DDR2 512MB 4GB LAN Linux Camera Notebook W/ Bag (Eee700/4G/512M/Camera) (25885) $388.05 or 439.99CAD
The question is: are these the final prices for the United States as well, or do they include some sort of Canadian import tax or upcharge?

The flavour of linux I believe is xandros.
Seems very cross platform with windows.

Looks like £200 will be the new starting price then, and for the tiny 2GB version. I just can't understand why they didn't go with a 1.8" hdd at least, as they have destroyed any hopes of them being able to be used for videos and music.

Looks like £200 will be the new starting price then, and for the tiny 2GB version. I just can't understand why they didn't go with a 1.8" hdd at least, as they have destroyed any hopes of them being able to be used for videos and music.

Ports: 3 or 4 USB 2.0, MMC/SD(HC)/MS(PRO) card reader

^^ that stuff looks adequate for videos.
Dont forget they have mini screens etc, not designed for videos really are they.
Bit carp if they are £200 for me thinkin about it, £300 could get me a real laptop, though not brilliant, norr with as good battery life, but more versatile for my needs etc.

Back
Top Bottom