** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

Soldato
andyh said:
Thanks WJA96 for that, does that seem a little high to you?. I only have a modest overclock at 2.2Ghz on my 6300 which idles according to coretemp idles at 50 and underload is 56 (orthos blend test after 90mins).

Reduce the voltage. It sounds about right for an intel HSF and 1.325vcore. You probably also have a slightly higher than normal ambient temperature or poor ventilation in the case.

Soldato
andyh said:
Thanks WJA96 for that, does that seem a little high to you?. I only have a modest overclock at 2.2Ghz on my 6300 which idles according to coretemp idles at 50 and underload is 56 (orthos blend test after 90mins).

So is it your system temperature that you are concerned about or your processor temperatures? Your system temperatures seem high, but not unacceptable.

Given your very modest overclock, are you running any extra voltage? Are you running a stock cooler or an aftermarket one?

Soldato
EvilGrin said:
Anyone know if the Tuniq Tower cooler fits this mobo?

Whats the dimensions, the ac7 is allready a tight fit with the oversized stock northbridge heatsink.

WJA96 said:
The temperature reading is coming from a sensor located at or in the southbridge chip (black square near the SATA sockets)

That'd make sense since it seems to rise in line with how hot the sb feels and its a bit too hot to be a case temp.
I was thinking about putting a stack of old copper coins on my sb since it can near 50c.

Anyone know the cutoff date for when they stopped making coppers actually out of 100% copper. I think its 1992?

Is the top Northbridge voltage in the bios safe to use with the stock heatsink and air cooling ?

Last edited:
Associate
It seems that my idle temps are quite high, not sure if this as a result of poor airflow through the case (Lian-Li PC60). I am running stock volts with ACF7 cooler on the cpu, which seems to keep the load temps reasonable. I was looking at a new case anyway (Akasa Mirage/Eclipse) so that may help reducing the ambient temp in the case.

Associate
As promised quick run with the E6600, just to show 500 FSB wasn't possible on only the E6300.
As per usual, ignore the crappy time as the windows install is crud. Just using dual 32M to show system stability.

CPU and NB are now watercooled (though this result would be possible with aircooling also)
Ram used was GSkill HZ.

500_dual32m_6600.JPG

Associate
trojan698 said:
Nice results there, what vcore are you using? You get much vdroop?

Erm can't remeber off hand ~ 1.53 (no + over VID). Droop is ~ 0.05v.

Under 32M load (single instance) SB temp was ~ 47°C measured using laser thermometer. Pretty toasty!

Associate
silversurfer said:
Whats the dimensions, the ac7 is allready a tight fit with the oversized stock northbridge heatsink.

Tuniq Tower 120 Heatsink Dimensions: 131mm (W) x 108mm (H) x 153mm (D) - its a friggin monster. Its held up by 4 copper heatpipes though which I think should give it clearance of the northbridge heatsink... I hope :/

Out of interest - what fans do you guys use to acheive your 3GHz+ OC's with 6300's?

Associate
How far are people able to run 1T on this board, and with what ram/voltages? Struggling to get over 425 atm with the GSkill, not sure if its a board or ram limit.

EvilGrin said:
Out of interest - what fans do you guys use to acheive your 3GHz+ OC's with 6300's?

Stock intel cooler

Soldato
OC_A64 said:
As promised quick run with the E6600, just to show 500 FSB wasn't possible on only the E6300.
As per usual, ignore the crappy time as the windows install is crud. Just using dual 32M to show system stability.

CPU and NB are now watercooled (though this result would be possible with aircooling also)
Ram used was GSkill HZ.
[Proof Image]
I saw the E6600 at 500FSB and I though "B****** - he got it stable at 4GHz" but then I noticed it was 'only' on a 7 multiplier. I feel much better now. How hot was it with 1.5V through it? That should scare me, but I'm just powering it down now - after all - I've run it with 1.46V before :eek:

Associate
WJA96 said:
I saw the E6600 at 500FSB and I though "B****** - he got it stable at 4GHz" but then I noticed it was 'only' on a 7 multiplier. I feel much better now. How hot was it with 1.5V through it? That should scare me, but I'm just powering it down now - after all - I've run it with 1.46V before :eek:

Erm, temps aren't great at the mo due to the loop setup. There's almost no airflow through the rad (single 120.1 BIX) so temps are ~ 63 or so load. With the loop properly running @ 1.5 ish volts temps are ~ 57 load (orthos) at 3.6ghz. (That's from earlier testing on the P5B, havent run orthos on this board with the 6600 yet)

Soldato
OC_A64 said:
How far are people able to run 1T on this board, and with what ram/voltages? Struggling to get over 425 atm with the GSkill, not sure if its a board or ram limit.

I can run 410 with my Patriot Signature Line or 415 with the Crucial Anni's. I even tried the 2.35V setting on the RAM, but it didn't help.

OC_A64 said:
Stock intel cooler

It's actually quite a decent cooler, when all's said and done.

Associate
WJA96 said:
I can run 410 with my Patriot Signature Line or 415 with the Crucial Anni's. I even tried the 2.35V setting on the RAM, but it didn't help.

Cheers mate. Looks like this could be the weakness of the 650 chipset then perhaps. Most of the 680's have been running a bit higher than that. Did you find you hit a wall? Above that it wasn't stable no matter what?

EvilGrin said:
Hmm, so it should be pretty easy to get a stable 3GHz plus with an ACF7 or a Titan Vanessa-L and stay at sensible temperatures (under 60)?

Should be no problem assuming you don't need crazy volts.

Associate
Right, i'm away to order my gear (finally!) I've settled on the ACF7 cooler and i'm 90% sure i'm going to get the 2gb OCZ P26400 Plat Rev 2 kit, it seems some have had success with them. I'm having last minute jitters about the Ram though - Anyone have good experience of OCZ reliability? Do they have a decent warranty system?

Soldato
EvilGrin said:
Right, i'm away to order my gear (finally!) I've settled on the ACF7 cooler and i'm 90% sure i'm going to get the 2gb OCZ P26400 Plat Rev 2 kit, it seems some have had success with them. I'm having last minute jitters about the Ram though - Anyone have good experience of OCZ reliability? Do they have a decent warranty system?

OCZ support is brilliant I've heard, I'd spend the extra and go for the crucial 10th if I were you though you've probably heard that about 10 times by now. :p

Associate
EvilGrin said:
Anyone know if the Tuniq Tower cooler fits this mobo?
I just bought a P5N32-E and Tuniq Tower today and can confirm that it fits comfortably.

On a different note I'm haveing problems getting my system to boot. From a thread I made here.

I replaced my motherboard and CPU cooler today and have just finished rebuilding everything but after trying to power on the system wont boot at all. The little green LED on the motherboard lights up and whenever I press the power switch on the chassis the red LED on my Fatal1ty card flashes on for a second but none of the fans try to kick in.

Specs;

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Tuniq Tower 120
Asus P5N32-E
2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS2 PC6400
BFG 7950GX2
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
240GB Maxtor HDDs (2x120GB)
Asus 16x DVDROM
Asus 16x dual layer DVDRW
Tagan 530W EasyCon PSU

First of all I checked that the CMOS jumper was in the correct position and have tried booting with it in both positions to no avail. Then I thought that perhaps the PSU wasn't able to supply enough power and have tried disconnecting both of my optical drives, both HDDs, my sound card and graphics card and yet the PC still fails to boot. The CPU fan doesn't even try to kick in. I've also made sure to remove my PS2 keyboard as I recall hearing of certain 680i based boards failing to boot with PS2 devices. All I can think of trying now is to reposition my RAM DIMMs, after that I'm stumped.

Back
Top Bottom