• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official ATI Radeon HD 6970 & 6950 Reviews, Discussion and Overclocking Thread ***

Associate
I thought I'll just drop this here. Another dozen or so reviews in the work.

cizkg.jpg

nice link, but the results seem to be varying massively. is resolution the main factor here is or is it a combination of things?

And

And

Associate
From the reviews I've read, nV have the fastest single GPU card, but it costs more and uses more power. The 6950 seems to be the one which will sell the most with decent performance and the best price. 6970 looks to sit between the two 5** nV cards. If pushed to give a result I'd say honours even, both manufacturers' new products have shifted more sideways than up.

Soldato
nice link, but the results seem to be varying massively. is resolution the main factor here is or is it a combination of things?

Most review sites bench at 1920x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF but some decide to turn off a few settings here and there. These reviews are easily accessible if you want to know the details :)

With that said, some review sites aren't really reliable with only some results varying from one review to another. Most don't even inform that they just copy the results from their previous reviews using different drivers. That much for fair comparison :rolleyes:

Depends if you think an average of a 15% increase in performance is worth it or not.

Actually it's more like 18-20%, we've yet to see how well AMD can optimise their drivers for 6900s. And believe me, they did a fairly decent job in the past few months, my HD5850 gained a handful of gains in various games.

Last edited:
Associate
dx 11 performance is improved vastly though and that's a big plus point. there isn't that much point looking at dx9 and dx10 games, coz for those the min FPS is still perfectly playable.

However the number of AAA dx11 titles are limited :(

Associate
Well i finally took the plunge and ordered myself a 6950, should be a nice little upgrade over my 4850 512MB.

Most i've ever spent on a graphics card, overtaken the £190 i splashed out for my x800xl way back when lol

Associate
Anandtech is, in my mind, the Granddaddy of tech review sites. I've found them peerless in consistency, detail and the quality of their writing too.

Everywhere else feels a little sordid, cheap and amateurish by comparison.

Associate
Anandtech is, in my mind, the Granddaddy of tech review sites. I've found them peerless in consistency, detail and the quality of their writing too.

Everywhere else feels a little sordid, cheap and amateurish by comparison.

Totally agree with you. The guys there really work hard at being as accurate and unbiased as they humanly can be. In truth that fearless unbiased writing does occasionally upset the odd vendor.:eek: But for my money there is not a tech site that gives as much depth and technical information as those guys do. I am still blown away by the last DDR3 ram article that Kris and Raja wrote, and not to forget the seminal work that Anand himself has done on SSD's. I do hope that they update the data with the 10.12 drivers, but I guess if they where to keep updating data for all graphic cards with each new set of drivers that the vendors release they will need twice the number of staff than what they all ready have.:)

Associate
well damn thanks a lot now im gonna have to get two 6950s.

In all seriousness im super excited

And only $309 its 40 dollar cheaper than the 2 GTX 570s i was planning on getting pretty good deal

Associate
They are the most horrible graphs I have ever seen, wtf?

Are they in order with the legend or do we assume 4way gets the highest score through to single card gets the lowest?

Hiya,

They are horrid graphs! They are in order of the legend. Translating the text says that in 2 way crossfire the scaling is great, about 100% but once you go to 3 or 4 cards then performance drops. They hope AMD can fix it in future drivers...

Associate
And what were the system specs the GPU's were tested in ? CPU , Mobo , RAM , HD speed etc , drivers :confused:

No consistancy therefore a waste of time. Pick your review site and choose what to believe :p

Soldato
Totally agree with you. The guys there really work hard at being as accurate and unbiased as they humanly can be. In truth that fearless unbiased writing does occasionally upset the odd vendor.:eek: But for my money there is not a tech site that gives as much depth and technical information as those guys do. I am still blown away by the last DDR3 ram article that Kris and Raja wrote, and not to forget the seminal work that Anand himself has done on SSD's. I do hope that they update the data with the 10.12 drivers, but I guess if they where to keep updating data for all graphic cards with each new set of drivers that the vendors release they will need twice the number of staff than what they all ready have.:)

They've always been the site I go to first, Raja and Bingo13 are on XS from time to time. I just wish they'd included 570SLI within this latest review, it is, after all, the closest competing setup to 6970 Crossfire.

Soldato

HardOCP in that spreadsheet appear to be the odd one's out. I don't think it's exactly fair to test cards at such a high resolution and take those results as the average. Results for 1600 to 1920 res should be being used ideally as those are likely the more common res for people buying these particular cards. The HardOCP results seem to favour the ATI cards (or am I going mad?)

Associate
Just received and installed my HIS 6970 and I have a question for those of you who also have one. What are your 2D frequencies? seems to me that the well known Catalyst "bug" is preventing my card to use the proper 2D frequencies (250/150) and is instead stuck with 500/1375 :(

Soldato
Just received and installed my HIS 6970 and I have a question for those of you who also have one. What are your 2D frequencies? seems to me that the well known Catalyst "bug" is preventing my card to use the proper 2D frequencies (250/150) and is instead stuck with 500/1375 :(

That's the result of the bug, but if it's well known, what's the cause? Are you running more than one monitor or something?

Back
Top Bottom