• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official ATI Radeon HD 6970 & 6950 Reviews, Discussion and Overclocking Thread ***

Associate
Anyone's fan speed up very fast several times on bootup? my vapor-x didn't use to do this lol and also the fan seems a tad noisy.:(

Oh well time to test.:)

Mine does it's just the PSU test far as i know or gigabyte boards seem todo it as a pretest, It's normal i would say.:o

Associate
Are you only using GPU-Z to check the frequencies? Any 3rd party software has a chance of being very wrong with tech thats just released. CCC would be the best bet but again not 100% if the card is not 100% offically supported by the software.

Associate
Well that's the thing I have not been using only GPU-Z to check and I always had the same values reported (even in the Catalyst Control Center it shows 500/1350 instead of 250/150).
And it seems accurate as now that I'm with no drivers installed and the correct 2D frequencies the GPU temperature has lowered compared to before (44°C vs 52°C).

Associate
As promised, I have ran a few benchmarks on the 2 6950s I received today.

I've only done Metro 2033 and Crysis Warhead so far, and I've not tried any overclocks as yet.

I've included results from my old 5850, a single 6950 and crossfire 6950s for comparison purposes.

Metro 2033 - using DX11 maximum settings at 1920 x 1080, no PhysX. I cut out all the graphs and stuff like that because it'd take up too much space.

Metro2033-5850stock.jpg

Metro2033-6950stock.jpg

Metro2033-CF6950stock.jpg

Crysis Warhead

CrysisWarhead-5850stock.jpg

CrysisWarhead-6950stock.jpg

CrysisWarhead-CF6950stock.jpg

I may try overclocking later on or tomorrow and post the results.

Soldato
I've not used a Catalyst hotfix driver before only the official release ones would install that over current like usual be fine? (then installing again over top of this is ok aswell when the 11.0 released is fine?)

You have to be careful, because if you've actually installed the 10.12's the installer won't install the hotfix as the driver number on the 10.12's is higher.

Normally you can install over the top if the driver number is higher no problem, regardless if its a hotfix or official

In this instance I would uninstall the 10.12's first then install the hotfix to ensure the driver is properly installed. This is AMDs proper 69** driver it appears.

Associate
Just received and installed my HIS 6970 and I have a question for those of you who also have one. What are your 2D frequencies? seems to me that the well known Catalyst "bug" is preventing my card to use the proper 2D frequencies (250/150) and is instead stuck with 500/1375 :(

You possibly have a browser window open with a youtube or some flash based app in the background, try closing your browser.

I recently had the same problem when I bought a 2nd 5870, just one of them was locked at 500mhz core, and it took me a bit of frustration to figure out what was going on.

Associate
You possibly have a browser window open with a youtube or some flash based app in the background, try closing your browser.

I recently had the same problem when I bought a 2nd 5870, just one of them was locked at 500mhz core, and it took me a bit of frustration to figure out what was going on.

Tried that already, even with nothing open the Catalyst Control Center still shows 500/1375 :(

Associate
I unfortunately can not try the card in another PC no. As for the general restore default option in the Catalyst Control Center and in the Overdrive yes I have tried several times but no luck :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys, i've tried to read through all this info and my head hurts. :(

Can someone help me with my decision please....

Sell my 4870 1Gb for £80 and basically pick up a new 6970 2Gb for £200? Yes or No? :)

Thanks.

Soldato
A

CrysisWarhead-CF6950stock.jpg

I may try overclocking later on or tomorrow and post the results.

Excellent results there for Crysis crossfire, the important bit is the min fps, and that looks pretty good ;)

If You get a chance could You try half an hours game play and see if You have any stutter/slowdowns.... cheers

Soldato
Guys, i've tried to read through all this info and my head hurts. :(

Can someone help me with my decision please....

Sell my 4870 1Gb for £80 and basically pick up a new 6970 2Gb for £200? Yes or No? :)

Thanks.

Do You mean 5870 ? and 6970's are £280 :confused:

Associate
Think at the money they are now ill be waiting for the next lot of new cards in the new year or applying the temporary fix of a second 5850 if I feel the need for more graphical oomph

Associate
Just been trying some overclocks but having done some research it seems they can't yet go past 840/1325 in crossfire (i.e. the max allowed by CCC).

I'm getting a BSOD if I try to apply any sort of overclock using MSI Afterburner, so looks like I'll have to wait for the next version before trying some proper oc's.

I'll give a Crysis a whirl for a bit and report back.

Back
Top Bottom