*** The Official Battlefield 5 thread***

Soldato
It seems to me that the people in this thread (and other discussions online) who want this next BF to have a BR mode really have a poor understanding of the franchise, how it's developed and what some of it's key problems are.

Let me try to explain.

Year after year DICE try to shoehorn more and more game modes into the franchise reusing the same weapon and vehicle assets and the same maps across all the modes. Most of these game modes end up being not played at all because either the maps do not suit that mode or the vehicle/weapon balance does not suit that mode. This is a reoccurring theme from one release to the next. Rush mode which people loved from BC2 and BF3 is practically unplayable now and that was very popular. Looking at bf1, war pigeons was a flop, rush unplayable, hardly anyone plays air superiority, supply drop is dead, frontlines not popular enough. The only new mode that has succeeded at all is operations, and that game mode fits the settings, maps, squad system and vehicle balance system. The enduring modes have been conquest and I can't believe it's not COD (Or TDM as some people call it).
The problem with DICE trying to fit so many game modes into one game is that the main modes suffer for it as development resource is wasted on modes no one is going to play after 2 months, but the main modes are not polished and the maps not curated to perfection for those modes.
Now lets just think about a BR mode. I'll take the apache helicopter, you can have the SMG. What about squads, where does the squad play with diverse squad roles fit into a BR game? How do you balance full spectrum warfare into a last man standing system, without removing most of the vehicles? How much development resource would it take from the core franchise? Given there will be at least 10 recent BR games in the market simultaneously, why would people play this one and not another? (Especially if they're all essentially the same game in a different $9.99 super rare dress)

DICE have been trying to test the waters with a competitive mode (Incursions) which they are really struggling to get that working within the full spectrum warfare squad/team based paradigm that is battlefield. It will probably become a separate game within the BF universe as it diverges so much from the core game, and for it to be a success I think it will have to be a separate game.
In the same vein, there is no reason a DICE couldn't make a good BR game in the frostbyte engine, but it shouldn't be a BF game mode it should be a polished stand alone game honed for that genre, and battlefield should stay as battlefield.

If DICE really do announce a BR mode for BFV then it's not battlefield, and I think it would probably kill the franchise.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It seems to me that the people in this thread (and other discussions online) who want this next BF to have a BR mode really have a poor understanding of the franchise, how it's developed and what some of it's key problems are.

Let me try to explain.

Year after year DICE try to shoehorn more and more game modes into the franchise reusing the same weapon and vehicle assets and the same maps across all the modes. Most of these game modes end up being not played at all because either the maps do not suit that mode or the vehicle/weapon balance does not suit that mode. This is a reoccurring theme from one release to the next. Rush mode which people loved from BC2 and BF3 is practically unplayable now and that was very popular. Looking at bf1, war pigeons was a flop, rush unplayable, hardly anyone plays air superiority, supply drop is dead, frontlines not popular enough. The only new mode that has succeeded at all is operations, and that game mode fits the settings, maps, squad system and vehicle balance system. The enduring modes have been conquest and I can't believe it's not COD (Or TDM as some people call it).
The problem with DICE trying to fit so many game modes into one game is that the main modes suffer for it as development resource is wasted on modes no one is going to play after 2 months, but the main modes are not polished and the maps not curated to perfection for those modes.
Now lets just think about a BR mode. I'll take the apache helicopter, you can have the SMG. What about squads, where does the squad play with diverse squad roles fit into a BR game? How do you balance full spectrum warfare into a last man standing system, without removing most of the vehicles? How much development resource would it take from the core franchise? Given there will be at least 10 recent BR games in the market simultaneously, why would people play this one and not another? (Especially if they're all essentially the same game in a different $9.99 super rare dress)

DICE have been trying to test the waters with a competitive mode (Incursions) which they are really struggling to get that working within the full spectrum warfare squad/team based paradigm that is battlefield. It will probably become a separate game within the BF universe as it diverges so much from the core game, and for it to be a success I think it will have to be a separate game.
In the same vein, there is no reason a DICE couldn't make a good BR game in the frostbyte engine, but it shouldn't be a BF game mode it should be a polished stand alone game honed for that genre, and battlefield should stay as battlefield.

If DICE really do announce a BR mode for BFV then it's not battlefield, and I think it would probably kill the franchise.
This. Many times this. Rush hasn't been fun since BF3.

Soldato
i dont see why anyone would want a BR Mode in BF... There are so many BR Games around surely you don't need more?

Just read this thread and the number of people who think it's a good idea. That one of them claims that BF has been rubbish since BF2, and then suggests the answer is to add a BR mode says it all.

Associate
Just read this thread and the number of people who think it's a good idea. That one of them claims that BF has been rubbish since BF2, and then suggests the answer is to add a BR mode says it all.

Crazy... i don't see any harm in one being added sure but I know it will become DICE/EA's Main focus! washing out the rest of the Game and MP Experience which would be a huge shame

Soldato
No it hasn't been fun since Bad Company 2 !! the game before B3 ( which was awful)

It was still playable and fun in bf3 but the abundance of non line of sight weapons and lack of cover started the rot. It was at it's peak in bc2 though I agree. Damavand Peak, Norshar Canals and Metro were great bf3 rush maps (Who didn't like the parachuting in Damavand Peak). It didn't work well in bf4 and was completely screwed in bf1. The mode that took over (starting in bc2 but getting stronger in subsequent titles) was conquest. Operations in bf1 was an attempt to return to the attacker vs defender style mode while giving some sort of narrative and context to the mode.

Associate
@HazardO Fair points, I appreciate where you're coming from. I've played a lot of BF3 (and 4) so I remember how those game modes used to play. Absolutely I would hope that they focus on getting the core game modes nailed.

As you’ve said, whether its DICE and/or EA, they’ve always tried to add more game modes (and mostly failed). Likely because even if they had the most perfect Conquest and Rush modes in Game 1, trying to release Game X with only Conquest and Rush wouldn’t be “innovative” enough. Would Veterans of the series love a WW2 setting only developed for those 2 games modes? Yes, of course (so would I) but alas its 2018 game development now. So what if they nail Conquest and Rush this time round, with some token TDM on the side, however the “additional” mode is BR? Is BR really worse than the other random games modes that fall by the wayside? Edit: For arguments sake, lets assume BR is balanced and enjoyable, not shoehorned in.

IMO people would play a DICE / Frostbite BR game because even with the number out there already, no one has nailed the “realistic” genre yet. PUBG is probably the closest, but they keep taking one step forward and two steps back.

Soldato
@HazardO Fair points, I appreciate where you're coming from. I've played a lot of BF3 (and 4) so I remember how those game modes used to play. Absolutely I would hope that they focus on getting the core game modes nailed.

As you’ve said, whether its DICE and/or EA, they’ve always tried to add more game modes (and mostly failed). Likely because even if they had the most perfect Conquest and Rush modes in Game 1, trying to release Game X with only Conquest and Rush wouldn’t be “innovative” enough. Would Veterans of the series love a WW2 setting only developed for those 2 games modes? Yes, of course (so would I) but alas its 2018 game development now. So what if they nail Conquest and Rush this time round, with some token TDM on the side, however the “additional” mode is BR? Is BR really worse than the other random games modes that fall by the wayside? Edit: For arguments sake, lets assume BR is balanced and enjoyable, not shoehorned in.

IMO people would play a DICE / Frostbite BR game because even with the number out there already, no one has nailed the “realistic” genre yet. PUBG is probably the closest, but they keep taking one step forward and two steps back.

BR isn't worse as such than some of the hairbrain gamemodes they have tried, I just don't see it being a fit for the mainline BF franchise. The engine itself could be used in one though. Having said all that, I think DICE could be more innovative in a Bad company or Hardlines flavour of Battlefield and people would be more willing to accept that a variant of those might not feature conquest classic.

I could see BC3 set as a sort of history of BC through multiple eras as the single player element and then perhaps have a BR game in each of the eras (with era specific weapons and vehicles) available for each map. That IMO would be a better fit as BC is more focused on infantry combat than the tanks and planes of the main franchise, thereby allowing a balanced BR game mode set in a wide range of eras and an interesting array of personal weaponry.

Associate
Fingers crossed for some tight, gameplay driven game modes and not a bloated mess. Inevitably if it tries to please everyone, it will end up pleasing no one.

I am intrigued what they do with premium and DLC to be honest... perhaps this will be the title that finally understands that if you gate off maps behind paid DLC for a multiplayer shooter they will have a very short longevity before the natural migration back to vanilla maps.

Soldato
If they still want to sell extra crap I don't mind if they sell cosmetic items, but I agree about fragmenting the player base with map DLCs. I would like to see destruction back which they have seemingly forgot about last few games.

Soldato
The premium gate was a big problem for player populations on different maps. My concern is the live service model (which they used first in battlefront 2) will mean we end up getting as little content as battlefront 2. I don't think Battlefield players will go for the £5 or £10 tank skins TBH so I don't see where they will get their ongoing revenue from. Controversially I'd advocate a subscription model, which would encourage frequent content updates to get people to continue paying subs. It would remove the us vs them situation and allow people to go off and play another game for a couple of months then come back if they wanted. It would also give rapid feedback from the community as to whether the devs were going in the right direction or not. I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with this idea though.

To be fair in the mainline BF series I think premium has always been worth it given the content and the hours I've got for my money, but it wasn't worth it in hardlines or battlefront.

Another leak:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/8lj7yh/this_image_was_just_posted_on_the_official/

reddit said:
The post was quickly deleted. The caption was something like "Learn how battlefield v revisited WW2 with a twist"

Last edited:
Caporegime
The premium gate was a big problem for player populations on different maps. My concern is the live service model (which they used first in battlefront 2) will mean we end up getting as little content as battlefront 2. I don't think Battlefield players will go for the £5 or £10 tank skins TBH so I don't see where they will get their ongoing revenue from. Controversially I'd advocate a subscription model, which would encourage frequent content updates to get people to continue paying subs. It would remove the us vs them situation and allow people to go off and play another game for a couple of months then come back if they wanted. It would also give rapid feedback from the community as to whether the devs were going in the right direction or not. I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with this idea though.

To be fair in the mainline BF series I think premium has always been worth it given the content and the hours I've got for my money, but it wasn't worth it in hardlines or battlefront.

Another leak:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/8lj7yh/this_image_was_just_posted_on_the_official/
I still want a BF4 style, modern-ish huge scale persistent map/universe with 24/7 server, say 15kmx15km with 100 players or more each side, like Planetside 2. I'd subscribe to that monthly.

Back
Top Bottom