*** The official beard thread ***

Associate
Found some unfragranced stuff on my travels today.

Xr3uZIa.jpg

Had a chuckle today, when showed a woman I know that I'd bought this & after mentioning what I normally use, she was surprised, until I pointed out "Well, beard is just hair isn't it" ;)

Associate
Soldato
You get 2 types of beard... the mans beard and the hipster doing it to be cool beard.

The latter bring shame to the game

I maybe go out 4-6 times a year, every time my man beard seems to make me friends and even got me free drinks on one occasion :D I'm happy o say there is nothing cool about me, I wear socks with my shoes for instance, definitely not a cool person :D:D

Caporegime
i use beard oil every day and a shed load of it. i have to. i have dry skin. as in anywhere that grows more than a tiny bit of hair on my head i get dry skin and it's bad.

i've never had spots/acne ever. my skin produces just enough oil to keep it good. hair saps away the oil drying it out.

so i shave my head every 2 weeks if i leave it longer than 2 weeks i get dandruff. same thing with beard. i have to shave it every week or i get beardruff. i also get dry skin sometimes around eyebrows but moisturising once every week or two keeps this at bay.

so to keep a beard i have to oil it daily. or i get severe itching bouts and dry skin all over my clothes and beard, etc. it doesn't look good.

i will look into these recommendations they look good and are cheap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shampoo-Co...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VG09129TH9FE7MFQ5N8P

https://www.amazon.co.uk/REUZEL-BEARD-FOAM-2-36-OZ/dp/B01FQ1LI76

wilko recently had all their l'oreal beardcare range on at half price. so i bought 4 of the beard wash and 1 of everything else. i regret now not buying more of the beard wash and the beard oil. they were all around £5 each and the l'oreal stuff is really good. normally priced around £12-£13.

the beard wash should last me a good while as i only use it once a week. as washing your beard is just stripping away the oils which i need. i rinse it lightly here and there when needed. i've been growing it for around 3 months now, another 3 months and it should be where i want it to be. i have trimmed it here and there but now i'm going to just blend it at the sides and let it grow fully at the bottom. i do shape it up at the neck line and sides so it's straight but i do this once every 2 weeks usually.

i have a wahl balding for my head. wahl magic clip for fading. andis outliner for lining up. andis profoil for shaving.

about £300 worth of shavers and trimmers but i have only paid for like 10 hair cuts in the past 10 years. so it pays for itself and will last a lifetime.

all of them are great i think i should have spent more on the shaving side and got a top of the range braun for wet use in the shower. that way i could keep on top of it rather than doing it once every 1-3 weeks.

just buy some argon oil instead of all these stupidly overpriced beard oils

its what they use for afro hair and works a treat. can pick a large bottle up for a couple of quid

couple of quid where?

i got some in boots clearance and it was £6 and that was in the clearance.

Caporegime
Excellent - I have noticed shaving boosts the speed your beard grows too, so for example those with goatees have faster growing chin hair. or at least that what happened with me

lot of crap. i'm sikh and baptised sikhs aren't allowed to cut any hair on their body.

so i have friends who shave daily and still can't grow a beard in their late 20's and early 30's and i have friends who have never shaved ever in their lives who have full thick beards.

it's genetics.

Associate
lot of crap. i'm sikh and baptised sikhs aren't allowed to cut any hair on their body.

so i have friends who shave daily and still can't grow a beard in their late 20's and early 30's and i have friends who have never shaved ever in their lives who have full thick beards.

it's genetics.

I did specifically say that's what happened with me. Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for someone else.

In 'full beard mode' my facial hair stops getting longer at something under two inches, and that was worn for about 2 years around 10 years ago. In goatee only mode, after 18 months of being 'clean' it reached my nipples in about the same period of time. Each hair was 4-5 inches long.

Like I said, my personal experience.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm sure it's simply just genetics, and no amount of shaving will make it grow thicker/faster/longer.

:) Maybe i was just down to me paying more attention to it - who knows. It was getting platted a lot in goatee mode - maybe it was that constant tugging hah!

Soldato
:) Maybe i was just down to me paying more attention to it - who knows. It was getting platted a lot in goatee mode - maybe it was that constant tugging hah!

I've done more research into beard growth than I care to admit, but it's unfortunately something you can't really fudge...

Trust me, I've tried :D

Associate
I've done more research into beard growth than I care to admit, but it's unfortunately something you can't really fudge...

Trust me, I've tried :D

All i'm stating is my own personal experience, and someone elses research will not change my own personal experience. There are many reasons why the growth may of been faster, maybe it's because I was eatting healthier or older or was out in the air more or doing more exercise or drinking more ale and less cider... it wasn't exactly a controlled experiment, but there was certainly a difference in speed and/or durability for me. May of just simply been the same speed but my hairs were falling out less frequently - who knows. It didn't feel like that though - wish i'd paid a bit more attention, I didn't realise there would be an internet debate about it!

Soldato
All i'm stating is my own personal experience, and someone elses research will not change my own personal experience. There are many reasons why the growth may of been faster, maybe it's because I was eatting healthier or older or was out in the air more or doing more exercise or drinking more ale and less cider... it wasn't exactly a controlled experiment, but there was certainly a difference in speed and/or durability for me. May of just simply been the same speed but my hairs were falling out less frequently - who knows. It didn't feel like that though - wish i'd paid a bit more attention, I didn't realise there would be an internet debate about it!

This is what happens when you post anecdotes on the internet, surely you've seen this before?! :p

Yes, all of those other factors probably contributed to improved growth/less loss.

Shaving your beard does one thing, it makes your beard shorter.

Back
Top Bottom