***The Official Black Panther Thread ere***

Soldato
Thought it was OK. Would I recommend it's seen at the cinema, no not really.

Would I pay to see it again, no. But I'd watch it on TV.

There was nothing earth shatteringly new about. Purely the context of where the film was set. Extremely over hyped.

Soldato
I enjoyed the film, despite it being kind of generic superhero movie other than the African setting. I did have free tickets though, not sure I would have been happy paying full price. The biggest problem for me though is the drip of a main character. I found him a bit boring especially since most of the supporting characters were a lot more interesting.

Soldato
It was a solid movie, competent not brilliant. It was up against some quality comparisons in the MCU, Cap 3 and Thor R in particular had much more emotional resonance and benefitted from much more filled out characters. It was good but no more I think 6 or 7 out of 10. Probably would have scored higher 5 years ago but the MCU has really raised the bar.

Caporegime
I quite liked it, saw it last week with the missus and she liked it a lot.

At first I wasn’t that keen on it but after watching it, have to admit it’s one of the better Marvel movies that have recently come out.

I knew I recognised the bald woman as michonne from walking dead. Just threw me off that she was bald lol:p.

Would I see it again?? Definitely.

Soldato
I just got back from watching it, I enjoyed it a lot. It's not my favourite Marvel film I've seen recently, that honour goes to Thor: Ragnarok, but then that was probably my favourite ever Marvel film, so it's not a fair comparison. In my opinion it's up there with the first Guardians film, Iron Man 1, Thor: Ragnarok and Captain America: Civil War as the best Marvel films.

Man of Honour
Only just seen it.

It was alright. Not entirely sure what all the fuss was about tbh. It was alright, a run of the mill Marvel movie. Nothing spectacular.

The normal weak story, occasional comedy, easily ended generic bad guy, some spectacular effects and scenery. Would have loved some more Serkis. He was the most interesting character tbh. Would be quite happy for it to be a standalone movie, but nope, there's going to be a sequel because... ummm... money?

Oh, and was it me or was the CGI in the final fight really ropey?

Soldato
Watched this yesterday. I seriously don't get what the hype was about, average movie with over-used and questionable CGI effects. The fight scenes were meh (the ones not completely CGI) and were way inferior to Blade back in 1998 tbh.

The acting wasn't the best and Martin Freeman's character just seemed pointless too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Black Panther is top 10 MCU for me.

From a review that I think was spot on

Basically, Wakanda's success and prosperity are due to them actively being a hidden secret to the world, thus remaining impervious to the influences of Western civilisation and culture. T'Challa (Chadwick Boseman), on the cusp of his coronation, candidly expresses anxieties of his country's involvement in global affairs because he justifiably fears the price of exposing his nation's valuable resources considerably outweigh the benefits. At the same time, we're continuously shown a fledgling king surrounded by other advising him on the positive effect his reign could produce, such as his childhood crush Nakia (Lupita Nyong'o) and his sister Shuri (Letitia Wright).

T'Challa's harshly stern stance on isolationism make him somewhat blind to the struggles and challenges of African descendants, particularly the children of those who were taken as slaves and Westernised. This is where Erik "Killmonger" Stevens (an absolutely fantastic Michael B. Jordan) comes in as the film's central villain. Only, he's not like any other Marvel villain we've seen before. His motives are highly complex and deeply problematic, born from years of racial injustice and oppression which have shaped his worldview of the West and his feelings of abandonment by a nation that prospered by turning a blind eye. Killmonger espouses a clear libertarian capitalist outlook, a desire for exploiting Wakanda's resources not only for profit and advancement but to turn the tables of the West and virtually become a nation of colonisers. Essentially, he adopts a distorted, extreme view of Malcolm X's famous quote that violence for liberation is not only permissible but a form of self-defense and even called it intelligence.

As is typical of any MCU feature, the two characters must come to a head in a climactic grandiose spectacle, but it's ripe with a deeper, richer meaning as they fight one another in their vibranium-designed suits. This is a battle of opposing philosophies and conflicting desires for the future success of their people. And now, given our understanding of Killmonger, free of the white South African Klaue's (Andy Serkis) influences, alluding to another troubling racial history of colonisation, his final words are all the more tragic and poignant. Added to that, his defeat simultaneously alters what should be T'Challa victory into something that feels more like a setback, the realisation of the failure in the Wakandan king's political stance. Coogler's Black Panther undertakes a gravely important subject matter, engaging in an intensely uncomfortable discussion about race with profoundly moving results, and the genius of it is that he does so in the guise of an elaborate, visually-stunning superhero movie, making it arguably the best of its genre and of the MCU.

Soldato
THE most overhyped Marvel film since Ultron.
Boring, slow, dire CGI, carried by a fabulous cast made to play out terrible characters.

Did absolutely nothing for me and the casual racism it portrayed is not something we should be applauding really even if it is black on white.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Have to say it was alright but it wasn't "OMG best movie ever". I can see why people are saying its been massively overrated simply because its got a 95% black cast and all the nods to African culture. Black Panther himself is dull as hell and has almost 0 personality or charisma. The best characters were the big bad guy and Andy Serkis who should have had a far larger role in this.

I'm not one of the people who rate every marvel film on a scale of 7-10/10 and I would rate this as fairly middle of the road 6/10. Probably about as good as Civil War.

Back
Top Bottom