***The Official Black Panther Thread ere***

Caporegime
Watched this morning and I came out feeling 'meh' nothing really blew me away, the comedy wasn't as strong as other Marvel films and apart from Martin Freeman this didn't really tie into any of the other films, I think we've had this too late and it shouldn't have been the last film before Infinity War.

And Andy Serkis. And the fact that it pretty much picked up from Civil War.

Caporegime
Watched this last night and really liked it. Okoye (Danai Gurira) was the stand out for me for sure, with Jordan playing a really good and sympathetic villain. Definitely more of a stand-alone film than I expected though, no need to see this in the lead-up to the new Avengers film (as long as you've seen Civil War).

Associate
It was good, not great. I still enjoyed it and it was far and above better than many Marvel films, as it managed to be different and flesh out another part of the universe. For me Andy Serkis played a great character and was a cut above.

I wouldn't recommend my friends to rush and go see it as soon as they can though.

But I am really looking forward to Infinity War.

Man of Honour
Just got back, I enjoyed it a lot.

Visually it was really quite different to other Marvel movies, thanks to the African influence. I'd say the story line didn't particularly push the boundaries of the marvel template, but having said that it all hung together well and there weren't anything I thought was bad.

Not at the top of the pile in terms of the action sequences. I don't know if it was my Cinema, but one of the opening scenes in Nigeria was very dark and it was hard to see what was going on.

Andy Serkis and Michael B Jordan were good villains - generally something Marvel struggles with. Serkis got more to do than Avengers: Age of Ultron. All the cast were really good actually...

Post Credits sequences:
Neither was particularly important. The first one could have been the end of the movie and the second one just shows Bucky - We already know he's on Wakanda and we've seen him in the trailer for the next Avengers movie. Maybe 'White Wolf' has significance I'm not aware of though?
Agree with all of this. Enjoyable in itself and pleasingly aesthetically different from other Marvel films. Feel no need to rewatch it but as a one off I'd give it 7/10.

Had a guy in the cinema who kept commenting to his girlfriend about things he was seeing... just, ridiculously banal things. When BP was covered in ice he loudly said “hmmm that looks cold” - ?!? Thanks for the insight! Jeez. On the way home we stopping off at traffic lights going "hmmm that traffic light is red, better stop".

Soldato
Of course it's not for black people but there's definitely a lot about the movie that means a lot to black people.

A film with fantastical, fictional charcters in a fictional enthno state which is only as advanced as it superficially appears due to external factors (a space rock falling out of the sky).......

'means a lot' to black people.......

simply by virtue of it being set mostly in Africa (albeit in a fictional ethno state inherently ripe for corruption by virtue of its primitive governance/leadership structure by any 'might is right' despot that comes along) with a mostly 'black' cast?

I do have to wonder whether some people in power in media circles are sometimes engaged in a covert, satirical, exercise whoose outcomes (if not necessarily its aims) actually serve to undermine any meaningful 'empowerment' of the 'oppressed' groups said people sometimes claim to champion in public....

Its looks like someone saw the 'We woz kangz. ... ' meme and went ...

'how about we turn that into a film?'

Its a bit dissapointing coming from Marvel who, up until now, have managed to include a somewhat diverse cast with somes good actors like Idris Elba in key roles.

To suggest that it's empowering (to 'black' people) to have a depiction of a fictional black ethno state which only derives its power and relative development from alien magic but which retains a primitive, tribalistic power structure seems to be a somewhat snide compliment based on the racism of low expectations

Personally i found it one of the more mediocre entries in the MCU and a bit of a let down after Ragnorak, which I quite enjoyed

Last edited:
Caporegime
To suggest that it's empowering (to 'black' people) to have a depiction of a fictional black ethno state which only derives its power and relative development from alien magic but which retains a primitive, tribalistic power structure seems to be a somewhat snide compliment based on the racism of low expectations

I guess ironically for some of the racist 4chan types the film actually depicts what they'd really like, states arranged along ethnic lines.

anyway, thought this was slightly amusing - certainly seems to be the case for some of the "critics"

TTOPoyE.png

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Sort of true, but from the trailer we have seen a fairly substantial part of Infinity War takes place in Wakanda, and Black Panther sets the 'place' up at least.

Absolutely. Like most things Marvel sets things up for reason. With Bucky recouping in (Wakanda) from CW it will tie in quite nicely with next film.

Soldato
I enjoyed it.

Was it one of the 'better' MCU entries? Nope.....not a patch on GotG or Ragnarok but it managed to keep my 4 year old daughter entertained for the 2 or so hours of runtime.....this is a feat in itself.

After the Infinity Wars trailer I was under the assumption that the Wakanda sequence related to an infinity stone that was perhaps based there. Hence the armies rushing at each other scene. No such mention of it in Black Panther though

The story was engaging and this is great bearing in mind that the action was limited to much a degree.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

but it managed to keep my 4 year old daughter
You took a 4 year old to a 12A? :o

I’m off to see this tomorrow, but I’m not holding out much hope. I found the Black Panther bits in Civil War racked on / boring.

Associate
So if anyone drinks Vibranium they'll have Black Panther powers?? Seemed to be only from the plants growing in that cave but it makes BP a bit lackluster if Billy nobody can become him....Open season for Vibranium plants?

Caporegime
So if anyone drinks Vibranium they'll have Black Panther powers?? Seemed to be only from the plants growing in that cave but it makes BP a bit lackluster if Billy nobody can become him....Open season for Vibranium plants?

Maybe it's a special mixture of Wakanda plant life, Vibranium minerals in the soil etc.

But there aren't any more plants left anyway.

Back
Top Bottom