**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Good price that! It's a good phone, I'm happy with mine. The only thing I don't like is that if you rest it on a flat surface and type on it, it rocks from side to side - the size and position of the off-centre camera means it doesn't stay flat. That's really quite annoying.

Good price that! It's a good phone, I'm happy with mine. The only thing I don't like is that if you rest it on a flat surface and type on it, it rocks from side to side - the size and position of the off-centre camera means it doesn't stay flat. That's really quite annoying.
A case doesn't help?

I'm still having issues using Google pay. Keep getting messages about not being compliant. What modules is everyone else using and what, if any, apps is on your magisk deny list?

Even my bank app is detecting I'm rooted and I've made sure it is on the deny list. Cleared cache etc.

I'm still having issues using Google pay. Keep getting messages about not being compliant. What modules is everyone else using and what, if any, apps is on your magisk deny list?

Even my bank app is detecting I'm rooted and I've made sure it is on the deny list. Cleared cache etc.

Can't you just unroot, or do you need something specific to be rooted?

Hello,

Last night while looking for a new Android phone I stumbled on the Poco X5 5G 6/128GB on the UK Xiaomi website with 30 minutes left at the sale price.
Not seen it before but it seemed like it had the main features I was after and as the deal was about to expire I ordered it without doing my usual weeks of research (they do free postage on 14 day returns).

Now having had a look at the reviews for the X5 (non Pro) I see it's considered a decidedly average phone in its range.
As someone who's not looking for the best just the best for my money, my question is, does an average smartphone in the £280 range become an above average smartphone when bought for £160? :)

Spec: 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 695, 120Hz AMOLED display, 5000mAh battery, 5g, IP53, Gorilla Glass 3, NFC, MicroSD card slot, 3.5mm jack, 33W charger included, 2 year manufacturers warranty.

Is there a better all round phone (not bothered about camera) available for the same price in your opinion?

Thanks.

Hello,

Last night while looking for a new Android phone I stumbled on the Poco X5 5G 6/128GB on the UK Xiaomi website with 30 minutes left at the sale price.
Not seen it before but it seemed like it had the main features I was after and as the deal was about to expire I ordered it without doing my usual weeks of research (they do free postage on 14 day returns).

Now having had a look at the reviews for the X5 (non Pro) I see it's considered a decidedly average phone in its range.
As someone who's not looking for the best just the best for my money, my question is, does an average smartphone in the £280 range become an above average smartphone when bought for £160? :)

Spec: 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 695, 120Hz AMOLED display, 5000mAh battery, 5g, IP53, Gorilla Glass 3, NFC, MicroSD card slot, 3.5mm jack, 33W charger included, 2 year manufacturers warranty.

Is there a better all round phone (not bothered about camera) available for the same price in your opinion?

Thanks.
For £160 I doubt you'll find better.

I got the X4 Pro 5G last year, intending it to be a "stop-gap" phone, but I'm still happy with it and can't see a reason to replace it/

Can't you just unroot, or do you need something specific to be rooted?
I rooted and unlocked bootloader due to wanting to try a custom rom. I'm still using MIUI ROM so may yet just re-lock bootloader if I'm going to have issues but will keep trying to find a workaround.

For £160 I doubt you'll find better.

I got the X4 Pro 5G last year, intending it to be a "stop-gap" phone, but I'm still happy with it and can't see a reason to replace it/
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, looks like Poco have been downgrading their lower end phones the past couple of years, no longer the amazing value the previous models used to be.
Seems £160 is probably nearer what the RRP should have been.
Really want it to be a decent enough phone though as it'll save me £90 compared to the Samsung A34 I managed to half talk myself out of.

Cheers.

FYI, not sure if it's the cheapest but if anyone's interested in a phone just for a 120Hz AMOLED, Xiaomi UK are selling the Redmi Note 12 4G for £119 with the £10 off voucher this week.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, looks like Poco have been downgrading their lower end phones the past couple of years, no longer the amazing value the previous models used to be.
Seems £160 is probably nearer what the RRP should have been.
Really want it to be a decent enough phone though as it'll save me £90 compared to the Samsung A34 I managed to half talk myself out of.

Cheers.

FYI, not sure if it's the cheapest but if anyone's interested in a phone just for a 120Hz AMOLED, Xiaomi UK are selling the Redmi Note 12 4G for £119 with the £10 off voucher this week.

I didnt need it but ordered Redmi Note 10 5G for £84.50 not amoled but is 90hz adaptive more so for backup or if family / friend needed phone asap

Poco F5 can be had for £225 on AliExpress from the official Poco store using Hotukdeals50 and buying in USD. Seems like the absolute best value for money I've seen for a while.

Poco F5 can be had for £225 on AliExpress from the official Poco store using Hotukdeals50 and buying in USD. Seems like the absolute best value for money I've seen for a while.
I'm pretty sure with an order of that value they don't automatically collect VAT for you, so there's a good chance you will pay 20% on top of that plus a handling fee from the courier. Also I don't think you will get a UK warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom