**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

I was thinking the same, looking at flagship Xiaomi and there's either no option to buy or very limited dodgy import options on eBay. I couldn't even find anyone that stocked the Global 13 Ultra. I need band 20, and so a China model flashed to Global isn't good enough. I'd need a genuine Global version. Yet the review sites and news bang on about it, but no option to buy.

You can buy them direct via mi.com?
Also have a sale on today.

You can buy the 13 Pro for £540, which is a great price, but if you want the 13Pro with band 20 for use in the UK and Europe then you need the genuine Global version which was out of stock for a while but is now back available from Xiaomi UK for £1.1k :eek:

Anyone excited for the honor magic v2 ?,

This is the first folding phone that has me temped to convert, only 9.9mm folded thickness, 20:9 aspect ration on the front screen, 5000mAh battery, a supposed hinge life of 400,000!!

There is a Beta tester recruitment form here for UK,

Last edited:
Don't you just ******* hate it when you find a phone that ticks all the boxes and then you find out it' only available in India, or it's only available in Europe and Amazon add £100 on top to cover import charges. How can it cost £100 to import a £350 phone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for a new phone. Had my Redmi Note 7 for 4 years and it's done a decent job but time for an upgrade. The Redmi Note 12 is on the Mi website for £149 currently (reduced from £219 apparently but not sure if it's really valued at 219 or that's just a selling trick). Is the Redmi Note 12 decent? I've looked at loads of "best budget android phone 2023" articles and they all still list the Redmi Note 11 - even those dated September this year - so not sure if they're just outdated articles or the 11 really is better. I'm mainly just using for general browsing and a bit of social media. Not that fussed about camera quality.

Last edited:
Yeah tbf there's nothing wrong with my Note 7 other than every couple of days it just completely freezes requiring a restart. Spec-wise it does what I need it to, it's just getting a bit long in the tooth I think. If phones are anything like PCs then this usually means something (cpu/memory/hard drive) is about to pack up and I'd rather replace it before that happens. Unless someone comes along and tells me this is a common problem that's fixed with some OS hotfix or something then I think I'll get the Note 12 at £150.

Yeah tbf there's nothing wrong with my Note 7 other than every couple of days it just completely freezes requiring a restart. Spec-wise it does what I need it to, it's just getting a bit long in the tooth I think. If phones are anything like PCs then this usually means something (cpu/memory/hard drive) is about to pack up and I'd rather replace it before that happens. Unless someone comes along and tells me this is a common problem that's fixed with some OS hotfix or something then I think I'll get the Note 12 at £150.

I think the 120Hz AMOLED screen alone would make it a worthwhile upgrade for £129.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations for elderly parents? I got the Redmi Note 10 Pro for £129 in July 2022 so I thought going for Xiaomi again would be an ok idea. My parents just want a phone that can show qr codes at shop checkouts, keeping in touch when out etc. They have never had a smartphone before and even myself at times I get annoyed at Xiaomi. I'll constantly see recommendations to turn on wallpaper carousel and all that stuff. Obviously call reliability is also a main factor.

I tried yesterday to introduce my mother to the phone. I had my brother call on WhatsApp and got her to answer but when attempting this, she put her finger on answer but when taking it off she like flicked the screen upwards and it vanished. That was enough for her to get worried.

I don't mind paying more if it means a more user friendly ui (maybe max £150). I have a 20% off voucher on another site that brings the price of the Redmi A2 to £48 or the Redmi 12C to £64. Can I really pass that up compared to something like a Galaxy A14 for £130 (3 year extended warranty on that). I'm hoping that Samsung maybe has a more forgiving user interface to make it worth the extra.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations for elderly parents? I got the Redmi Note 10 Pro for £129 in July 2022 so I thought going for Xiaomi again would be an ok idea. My parents just want a phone that can show qr codes at shop checkouts, keeping in touch when out etc. They have never had a smartphone before and even myself at times I get annoyed at Xiaomi. I'll constantly see recommendations to turn on wallpaper carousel and all that stuff. Obviously call reliability is also a main factor.

I tried yesterday to introduce my mother to the phone. I had my brother call on WhatsApp and got her to answer but when attempting this, she put her finger on answer but when taking it off she like flicked the screen upwards and it vanished. That was enough for her to get worried.

I don't mind paying more if it means a more user friendly ui (maybe max £150). I have a 20% off voucher on another site that brings the price of the Redmi A2 to £48 or the Redmi 12C to £64. Can I really pass that up compared to something like a Galaxy A14 for £130 (3 year extended warranty on that). I'm hoping that Samsung maybe has a more forgiving user interface to make it worth the extra.

You could put a different launcher on that could be more user friendly?

@Begbie I've never really looked at launchers but likely a good idea. Would I be able to like have icons that when pressed call specific contacts etc?

I also looked around more and most people think the 2GB is going to be a problem even for basic functionality. I can get the Note 12 for about £119 so I'm hoping that is a good choice. 4GB RAM.

@Begbie I've never really looked at launchers but likely a good idea. Would I be able to like have icons that when pressed call specific contacts etc?

I also looked around more and most people think the 2GB is going to be a problem even for basic functionality. I can get the Note 12 for about £119 so I'm hoping that is a good choice. 4GB RAM.

I'm pretty sure you can do this with even the default widgets?

I.e setup favorites and add widgets for the contacts. tap on widget and dial.

Not sure if it will do exactly what you're after but you could take a look at the in-built accessibility options. You could try navigation icons on bottom of screen rather than gestures.

Flashing a custom rom could be an option too.

Wallpaper carousel can be disabled by debloating the UI.

Do I just manually uninstall everything or is there a custom software that will do it all for me?
I don't have the link to the one I used at the mo sorry but it lists all the apps that are safe to remove/disable and you just tick the box next to each one that you don't want on the phone.

You will need something like a Windows device to run the debloat tool from though.

Tbh I just went on YouTube and followed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDmDrSZl2N4

I thought Xiaomi apps would be more rooted in or something and hard to remove. Wish I had did that a long time ago.

Does anybody know how you now customise swiping left to do other stuff on the lock screen? I now have a really bland page consisting of Google Wallet, Mi Remote and a flashlight button. Can I make it so it opens up an app or something?

Edit: I ended up ordering the Redmi Note 12 for £119. Seemed like a good idea. About £50 extra but better screen, usb-c, 33w charging and an extra 1/2GB depending on what Redmi I compared to. Plus going from 32GB storage to 128GB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom