The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Associate
woo, long thread. I'm sat here looking at a dell 2405 monitor that I've loved for years wanting to either upgrade to either:

1x 30" Dell monitor
2x 24" Dell or Samsung monitors

But all the bllx about input lag etc is making me wonder if I'm wasting my money. Given that I've been over the moon with my 2405 since I got it (or rather since I got the 2nd one as the first arrival didn't work!!) do I even care about what you guys are talking about?

Associate
lol, and here is where I bought my original 24" monitor :D

Seriously though, this monitor has been excellent for what I use it for which has included a lot of gaming. So should I get another Dell monitor if I'm happy with my old 2405?

Associate
> rochdale

rochdale- Up until the 2408's the Dell's have been known to be really good. So dont try and fix it if it aint broke. Stick with your 2405 and only upgrade when you know that there arent major issues or maybe try a Dell 2408 out and if you dont like it return it :)

In fact some of the older S-IPS dells have been the ones that have given the good reviews, the new S-PVA ones have not lived up to the quality.

Associate
After over 2 hours of phone dealings with Dell I managed to arrange a pickup to return these. Sadly Dell UK (Europe) cannot guarantee me A01's, so I have to return them and wait several months before getting them. Although I am considering Apple 23" (S-IPS) panels now.

(Dell customer service in Glasgow was great, but the Indian call centre has been absolutely useless).

Hope all goes well.

Usama - I think you should try and calibrate your screen, either using a Huey or Spider or do it initialy manualy. It will probably be far too bright, so you may want to reduce brightness to 50% and contrast to a max of 75% - but see what suits you. Which Revision of the 2408 did you recieve Usama? (It should either say it on the back of the screen or the sharpness ratings should be in increments of 10, not 24, in the OSD menu).

What is the difference between the different versions? And where does it tell you on the back.

Associate
What is the difference between the different versions? And where does it tell you on the back.

Check bottom left corner on the back of the monitor should say something like: REV A00 or REV A01.

If not, click menu button, go to display settings, down to Sharpness and see if the sharpness jumps from 25 to 25 or 10 to 10, when you change it.

Associate
Check bottom left corner on the back of the monitor should say something like: REV A00 or REV A01.

If not, click menu button, go to display settings, down to Sharpness and see if the sharpness jumps from 25 to 25 or 10 to 10, when you change it.

It jumps from 25 so...

Associate
It jumps from 25 so...

Then, according to what I have read, this seems like an A00 model. However, you may not nescessarily face any issues - depending on what sort of work you use it for? If you are after colour accurate work - you may have issues, even after calibration (or maybe not at all). Otherwise it may do just fine for you. If you are a gamer, you may see lag issues (not everyone notices).

Associate
I heard from Dell today that even the A01's are being returned by customers due to faulty issues. This is in UK / Europe. I am returning the two I have purchased and will probably go for Apple ones now. Shame, I really did like the 2408's. :(

Associate
I find it strange that Dell would admit to A01's being returned as they dont normally like to admit to anything. It took them ages to admit that there was a problem with the A00 revision.
But I'm not suprised that A01's are bring returned. They could be on revision A99 and I'm sure they'd still get monitors returned. Just depends what the reason is.. I dont suppose they told you that did they ?

Associate
I find it strange that Dell would admit to A01's being returned as they dont normally like to admit to anything. It took them ages to admit that there was a problem with the A00 revision.
But I'm not suprised that A01's are bring returned. They could be on revision A99 and I'm sure they'd still get monitors returned. Just depends what the reason is.. I dont suppose they told you that did they ?

According to my convo with the nice Dell Rep, she said that even now the A01's are being returned due to faulty issues. Im surprised she did mention it but didnt specify the problem. Our conversation mainly focused on the red hue problem, so maybe she was referring to that. I cant really say.

But its a shame to return these monitors, they are really impressive, but have some crucial problems.

I think i'll be switching to Apple, or wait till Jan to hear of a possible Apple new range, unless by then Dell fix issues...

Associate
The latest installment of my saga....

Guy from Dell called me up today (unprompted - scottish guy this time) to see how things were going. I explained that the monitor I currently have is the best one by far, but that I still notice the input lag and it does have some backlight bleed. We agreed that all these monitors will have a little bit of bleed but I confirmed that I didnt have any dead pixels, red tinges or the host of other problems that I have had.

Anyway, he told me that they couldnt do the sending to Glasgow thing as one of their factories still seems to be producing A00 revisions and they couldnt even confirm to themselves that it would be an A01 version sent for checking.

He said I had 2 options. Refund (might be tricky as I didnt but it from Dell but Overclockers), or I could wait until January when he believed all the back stock would be gone and the A01 would reign supreme (my words not his). So he's pencilled in a date in his calendar to give me a ring in the new year to see if an exchange could take place then (even sent me an email confirming which day he would ring - Jan 7th). I said I'd wait for his call.

He said a number of issues had been escalated regarding this monitors quality, but stated that a lot of people hadnt complained about any issues and are happy with their product (maybe true, but come on, the A01 firmware should have been available in June/July.. no excuse really to be still punting the A00's out).

I live to fight another day :) If this thread is still active in Jan, then I will post the outcome of the conversation.

Associate
Thanks for the input Gazzeero.

I wanted to return the monitors, didn't want to go through different A00's, as you did. I just wanted the A01, which they couldnt guarantee, so I arrange for return.

Arranged for pick on Monday 17th, no pickup
Called on Tuesday 18th to re-arrange pickup
Arranged for pickup Wednesday 19th, no pickup

Called on Thursday 20th to see what was going on and they supposedly didn't put through the pickup properly - how lame is that!!??

Anyway, arranged for pickup tomorrow, I hope that damn happens. I did a Dell customer survery and I wasn't being kind.

I really liked the Dell's, so may just wait till Jan to try A01's, or go for Apples S-IPS panels.

Associate
I have also found that they are really bad at picking up monitors.

1st one was picked up correctly.
2nd one was a day after it was arranged for
3 and 4 were about 10 days (!!!) after the date they said.

I didnt really mind as they were being picked up from reception at work, but the people in reception were a bit fed up as they kept having to negotiate their way around the box :)

I too gave them a bit of grief on a satisfaction survey, but I wasnt too harsh as I still wanted their help.

Associate
Just to let you know there's a seller one ebay selling the A01, at least we are guaranteed to get it, instead of gambling on getting a A00 or A01:)

Associate
I have just received a brand new 2408 A01 revision monitor directly from Dell, so I guess they are starting to flow through the pipeline! Build date of mine was early November.

Associate
I finally just received a new REV A01 BRAND NEW not refurb

I will run the input lag tests and post images using a CRT

I can't see any issues with this what so ever

Gazzero and others reporting issues are your REV A01 Brand new monitors or have they come as Refurb REV A01's? The reason I ask is prior to now 17/12 the only REV A01 2408WFP's around we're refurb replacements coming out of Dell, which is why I could understand there may problems.

Any tests you want done let me know

Back
Top Bottom