The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Associate
I've ordered the HP 24" instead now. Tired of being messed around by Dell!
The HP has a VGA to DVI cable for anyone worrying about not having the option of VGA. :)

Associate
A question to all 2408 owners.

A lot of users (US Forums) are still reporting a slight to strong pink tint visible on white in low light conditions (especially on the left side and bottom left corner).
Even with a properly calibrated monitor.

Do you experiment the same ?
Is it inherent to the 2408 design ?

Any workaround ?

Thank you for your answers.

Associate
Well, my 3rd 2408 decided it would start turning off by itself yesterday. It had some dead pixels but I was prepared to live with them, because I didn't want to go through the hassel of replacement.

Maybe my 4th will be alright, I hope and pray that it's a newer model like this one, but without the defects! (The 2 earlier models I had were awful in comparison). I'm possibly just starting to lose faith in this monitor...

Associate
Oc uk have finally notified me that they have recieved my faulty monitor and have ordered a replacement but Iv'e just looked on the site and seen there out of stock...So I spose that means more phonecalls to a lack lustra support team who only quote default replies and never seem to want to go the extra mile for you...

Happy Days..

400 pound to spend weeks without a monitor iv'e payed for..

Associate
I bought my 2408 as soon as they were available. Initially I was very dissapointed, I had the pink tinge on very small text, colours were far too vivid. After advice from Badass, I adjusted the settings and it now looks great. The pink tinge was still there though.

After about six months I noticed that the pink tinge had gone, it seems to have been run in if thats possible. I now like everything about this monitor, it has improved with age

Soldato
I bought a 2408 from overclockers, it's a june model. I don't have any of the problems most people have such as pinking, banding ect but I can't stand the lag. When I compare the mouse to my Sony SDM-HS94P it feels so laggy, you can easily see the difference and feel it. My OS feels slower because of it and gaming pfft.

When will the new firmware be available in the UK? I'm having to use my old LCD until I get the 2408 fixed.

Soldato
I bought a 2408 from overclockers, it's a june model. I don't have any of the problems most people have such as pinking, banding ect but I can't stand the lag. When I compare the mouse to my Sony SDM-HS94P it feels so laggy, you can easily see the difference and feel it. My OS feels slower because of it and gaming pfft.
I'm the same, my 2408 at work is awful, you can feel the lag just moving windows around the desktop, let alone playing games.

I've spoken to many who say their 2408s don't have this lag when in fact they do, it's just some people aren't sensitive to it. If you're one of those who is then it's very disconcerting.

Associate
If I understand you correctly, the pink tinge was on the left side of very small text? This has gone on my 2408.

No, I'm talking about the global color homogeneity of the panel.

On a LCD monitor (any LCD, not just the 2408), in a darkened room if you display a full white background and look at it, you can judge the "white homogeneity".

Usually, the white is never perfectly uniform in "whitness" and brightness. There is darker areas, yellowish areas, etc.

A lot of 2408 seems to have a pink tint on the left side (and sometimes at other places), (maybe due to the wide-gammut ?) especially in the bottom left side.

Sometimes this pink tint is strong, sometimes slight.

My question is: does this pink tint goes away with time ?

Does any user found a mean to reduce it ?

Soldato
I'm the same, my 2408 at work is awful, you can feel the lag just moving windows around the desktop, let alone playing games.

I've spoken to many who say their 2408s don't have this lag when in fact they do, it's just some people aren't sensitive to it. If you're one of those who is then it's very disconcerting.

Yeah I think it may be more noticeable if you have a high input mouse, 500Hz - 1000Hz.

C0mdot
I have seen the youtube videos, I have done my own tests too and there is lag. It's annoying in an online game. If you and you're enemy see each other at the same time and you die you always think it was the monitors input lag to blame. If you have a tweakish aim the lag is horrible.

I wonder how much the new firmware improves the feel of lag. I need to know where to go about getting a new firmware I heard the UK doesn't have it yet. I may just sell it on ebay and get an LG.

Last edited:
Associate
I have seen the youtube videos, I have done my own tests too and there is lag. It's annoying in an online game. If you and you're enemy see each other at the same time and you die you always think it was the monitors input lag to blame. If you have a tweakish aim the lag is horrible.

I wonder how much the new firmware improves the feel of lag. I need to know where to go about getting a new firmware I heard the UK doesn't have it yet. I may just sell it on ebay and get an LG.

i am prepared to give the HP a go and see if i can handle the 25ms. i've been using a CRT and only a CRT all my life so i should be the perfect guinea pig to test this repordly unperceptable amount of input lag (1.5 frames @ 60hz or whatever it actually is).

Man of Honour
I can't believe you are all still fussing about this monitor. It is a great monitor, not perfect, but much better than any other monitor out there! Still very pleased with my purchase after ignoring most of the negative feedback :)

Associate
I am waiting your opinion/review c0mdot. :)

Since you are in the same position as me (coming from CRT) your opinion is very important to me.

Does it never arrive? They should speed up the delivery. :)

Back
Top Bottom