The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Associate
There is some talk/rumours of a new firmware to this monitor (A02) and i would very much like to know if anyone else heard something similar?
I will buy this monitor soon and ofcourse it would be great if i could pick up a monitor with latest firmware.

It seems impossible to contact Dell support if you`re not owning a product yourself, otherwise i would have contacted them myself with this question and have it confirmed.

Associate
Thanks 'kumodrive', of course of course, no USB cable connected!! What a twit, don't know what I was thinking of! My excuses range from a rough night prior to connecting up my new Dell, to being highly suspicious of new equipment, seeing that I had sent back a faulty Samsung a couple of days earlier. Anyway all is fine now.

My 2408 was manufactured in November 2008 and has firmware A01, not heard of any A02 update 'blindboy'. Very happy with the unit, yes on some colours as others have reported there is a very slight lightness in colour to the left side of the screen, certainly not noticeable in normal use. No dead pixels, no buzzing whatsoever and no viewing angle problems, the latter I understand due to the s-pva panel. All in all so far excellent monitor.

Associate
I took ages deciding between the Dell, HP and NEC in the end I decided I preferred the H-IPS panel in the HP and haven't looked back :) the Dell seemed to get more and more expensive.

Associate
Well funny story...

I bought a 2407 from ocUK about 2.5 years ago, I've since been a little unlucky with various problems with it.

1st time - The Monitor Stand locked up, its was completely locked in the lowest position which made it nearly unusable, I contacted Dell to get a new stand, they sent a new monitor instead... go figure.

2nd time - a genuine problem, somesort of blue-image tearing, again called Dell and they replaced it pronto.

3rd time - this was fairly recently, it's getting close to the end of the warranty so I was cheeky and called them saying I had the same problem as last time, in hope they'd send me a 2408, they send another 07, oh well.

4th time - the replacement they sent again came with a locked monitor stand. So this time I kicked up a bit of fuss and said to support, 4 replacements in 2 years is unacceptable, can I get a different model? So he took pity on me and said we can send you another referb on next day delivery, or a 'factory new' model if you can wait a couple of weeks. I said a couple of weeks is fine.

So I arrange to have them deliver it to my work place and they advise to have the old monitor there for collection, I duly bring it along. About an hour ago a courier arrived, left my new 2408 (Rev A01 too!) with the receptionist and he left, no mention of collecting my 2407!!!

So now I've got 2 lovely 24inchers.... anyone know of how to fix this stand issue, or if I can buy a new one? :D

Associate
To release the monitor from the lowest position press down on the monitor (even when locked into the lowest position it can move slightly). Then, while pushing down on the screen, push in the release button hard and hold. While holding it, lift up on the screen or push up from the bottom and it moves up very easily :)

Ive had loads of dell stands lock on me but never needed to rma one for that reason alone :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
To release the monitor from the lowest position press down on the monitor (even when locked into the lowest position it can move slightly). Then, while pushing down on the screen, push in the release button hard and hold. While holding it, lift up on the screen or push up from the bottom and it moves up very easily :)

Ive had loads of dell stands lock on me but never needed to rma one for that reason alone :rolleyes:

Cheers Hesky, I'll try that when I get home

Associate
Gotta say it was pretty damn cheeky to send your 3rd monitor back just because it was reaching the end of warranty! the fact the replacement had a dodgy stand kind of served you right, karma playing its part there I think :D

So really it was only 1 monitor with the image tearing that had a true fault not 4 :o

Associate
Yeah it was, but the fact they're sending referbs as replacements means it doesn't make a lot of difference. Yes only 1 truly faulty monitor, but you'd think Dell Support would know to fix the issue with a stand and/or send a stand and not an entire new monitor to replace them?

Oh well I'm happy :D

Associate
Hi all,
Does anybody received an A02 yet ?
And does someboy knows whare the improvements/differences between A01 and A02 ?
Thank you for your answsers.

Associate
Hi all,
Does anybody received an A02 yet ?
And does someboy knows whare the improvements/differences between A01 and A02 ?
Thank you for your answsers.

Yes, there is a A02 revision out according to some users from the official Dell board, see this thread:
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19257239.aspx?PageIndex=1

As far as i understand there are not so much improvements from the A01 to this new one, some tweaking with the HDMI audio.

I bought a A01 about 1.5 month ago and i`m very satisfied with it so far, i havn`t noticed any pinkish background or input lag some users reported from this revision. I will probably buy another 2408WFP as soon as i have the money and run a dual screen setup:)

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for you answser.

The "pinkish" tint effect is very variable from one 2408 to another.
Sometimes it's not or barely noticable, on others 2408 it could be very marked.
But A01 seems ineed to have improved this issue.

I also have a 2408 (A01), and I'm very happy with it. ;)

Associate
I bought my A00 back in September '08 from OCUK and on delivery noticed the right side of the screen darkened noticably for the last 2 or 3 cm. I immediately emailed Dell and was told they would swap it for a brand new A01 when they shipped. I left it, waiting to hear back from them and then forgot about it. Since having problems with my new Dell laptop I've emailed the original support guy (UK-based I think) about a week and a half a go to find out why I'd been forgotten. Is it likely I can still get a new A01 swap out? I don't really want a refurb, and was promised an A01 as soon as they were available...

Associate
Do any of you guys find the monitor to be too bright? I've heard that even if you set the brightness to 5%, it can still be too bright for some. Is this true or just hyperbole?

Associate

Its works really well, had the same problem with lock stand thank you :)

Does any know if the warranty can be transfer? I have tried dell, but just be passing to different dept with no help cos there is no "service tag" on the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Do any of you guys find the monitor to be too bright? I've heard that even if you set the brightness to 5%, it can still be too bright for some. Is this true or just hyperbole?

It is a bright monitor but "too bright" no way. When mine first arrived I seriously thought about sending it back as the colours were so different to my previous Samsung. Now 9 months later even though it is a Revision A0, I couldn't be parted from it. Buy one, you won't regret it!

Man of Honour
It is a bright monitor but "too bright" no way. When mine first arrived I seriously thought about sending it back as the colours were so different to my previous Samsung. Now 9 months later even though it is a Revision A0, I couldn't be parted from it. Buy one, you won't regret it!

Same here! Love this monitor...one of my best purchases ever!

Associate
What contrast, brightness and sharpness settings are common for this screen? I've totally forgotten what I set mine to, and the replacement looks a bit off, but I can't seem to find te same balance that I had before...

Back
Top Bottom