*** The Official E3 2013 Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Oh dear......

Geoff Keighley had an interview with Don Mattrick (recorded pre conference) - here are some excerpts:

Keighley:"Did you know or did you anticipate the way the people would push back?"
Mattrick:"Absolutely - it's a super passionate community of people... till you use it [Xbox One] it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

Mattrick: "Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Mattrick: "The avarage internet connection is working the majority of the day - people are imagining that it isn't... It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall."

Man of Honour
The annoying thing is that I agree with DRM in principle (battling piracy is a good thing IMO), it's just the time frame that bothers me. Once every 24 hours is just a bit too often. If it was an online connection once every 3 days, or once a week, I don't think there would be anywhere near the uproar about it that there has been. I will still be amazed if MS don't change their standpoint on this at some point though, there has been too much backlash already surely for them to ignore it.

Soldato
Sooo many posts across this and the platform specific threads! Couple of questions:

Are the launch games for both platforms confirmed?
Is there someone to compare all the platform exclusives?

Soldato
The annoying thing is that I agree with DRM in principle (battling piracy is a good thing IMO), it's just the time frame that bothers me. Once every 24 hours is just a bit too often. If it was an online connection once every 3 days, or once a week, I don't think there would be anywhere near the uproar about it that there has been. I will still be amazed if MS don't change their standpoint on this at some point though, there has been too much backlash already surely for them to ignore it.

DRM almost never benefits the consumer and most of the time just causes issues. This is no more evident then on PC gaming in general.

The always required internet connection wouldn't be a problem if they acted like steam, all they need to do is make the game require some kind of activation and encoding for the first time it loads, then offline could be unlimited.

DRM should not be encouraged and should not be accepted any more then possibly steam level DRM.

But in the other hand, you have XBox 360 Piracy was higher and more rampant then PC piracy and you can almost be 100% certain that at launch someone will hack the console and release said hack to be able to play offline, look at Sim City for example.

Caporegime
What if you want to take your Xbox One somewhere without an internet connection or somewhere that you cant access the internet? (perhaps say you rent a holiday place for a few weeks e.t.c) You are stuffed. As someone said above, it wouldn't be so bad if you only had to activate the game once online and then you can play it as much as you want offline (a la Steam). This is just stupid. Just look at he backlash Ubisoft got with its always on DRM! Now a whole console is based around a similar system!

Caporegime
What if you want to take your Xbox One somewhere without an internet connection or somewhere that you cant access the internet? (perhaps say you rent a holiday place for a few weeks e.t.c) You are stuffed.

Who takes a ******* console on holiday? Waste of money if you need to take a console with you, might as well stay at home!

Soldato
Isn't Banjo Kazooie an Xbox exclusive too? It's not on the wiki page at all. So far Dead Rising, Below, Forza, Quantum Break and Ryse look like potential decision swingers for me. Plus my kids love the Kinnect.

Soldato
What if you want to take your Xbox One somewhere without an internet connection or somewhere that you cant access the internet? (perhaps say you rent a holiday place for a few weeks e.t.c) You are stuffed. As someone said above, it wouldn't be so bad if you only had to activate the game once online and then you can play it as much as you want offline (a la Steam). This is just stupid. Just look at he backlash Ubisoft got with its always on DRM! Now a whole console is based around a similar system!

According to Microsoft, if you want to play without a connection you can buy a 360. Yes they seriously said that.

Man of Honour
DRM almost never benefits the consumer and most of the time just causes issues. This is no more evident then on PC gaming in general.

The always required internet connection wouldn't be a problem if they acted like steam, all they need to do is make the game require some kind of activation and encoding for the first time it loads, then offline could be unlimited.

DRM should not be encouraged and should not be accepted any more then possibly steam level DRM.

But in the other hand, you have XBox 360 Piracy was higher and more rampant then PC piracy and you can almost be 100% certain that at launch someone will hack the console and release said hack to be able to play offline, look at Sim City for example.

No, DRM doesn't really benefit the consumer, it benefits the developers as for the people who can't get around the DRM or easily find a cracked version of the game they want, they may be forced to buy the game. I have no problems with that, as long as the DRM works.

The problem with having a system like Steam on the Xbox would be a complete and utter removal of the ability to trade in your games, something MS still seem (semi) commited to. If you buy a game, authenticate it, then turn it offline, what's to stop you selling the game instantly (or taking it back to the shop for a refund)?

The problem with Steam as well is that if your internet goes down without warning, you can't play anything at all. You can't put it into offline mode without actually being online first (unless I've been doing it wrong in the past). At least with the Xbox One, should you lose your connectivity, you still can play your games. Admittedly for only 24 hours (I've already said I think this should be extended to 3-7 days), but it still has that advantage.

Edit: I will happily admit I'd rather do without DRM and online checks, but I can see where they are trying to go with it and have no problem with the theory of DRM and protecting developers and publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom