*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I'm interested to know what people think about what happens when you die.

I mean, you can't lose everything. I think the original Elite had you return to your last base station with nothing gained, and a few missiles lost with a bit of damage to repair. It was costly, but not crippling. Why change that?

Soldato
I got my commander name (not really surprised, it's just my surname as I wanted something personal).
I just popped the wife's name in for NPC - which was also accepted.

I was amazed when the list of most commonly requested names appeared. I really thought people wanted the game to be personal to them, not named after some sci-fi character.

Associate
I got my commander name (not really surprised, it's just my surname as I wanted something personal).
I just popped the wife's name in for NPC - which was also accepted.

I was amazed when the list of most commonly requested names appeared. I really thought people wanted the game to be personal to them, not named after some sci-fi character.

Same here, Commander FartInferno doesn't really have a commandery ring to it :) Although it would be a cool name for a space station or planet :D

Don
Bit worried again reading this weeks DDF thread. The way it reads is that even between two close star systems you will need to make multiple hyperspace jumps between them to via intermediate dark worlds (such as dwarf stars, rogue planets etc). The whole reasoning is to bottleneck players into the same "space lanes" to encourage player encounters.

Soldato
Bit worried again reading this weeks DDF thread. The way it reads is that even between two close star systems you will need to make multiple hyperspace jumps between them to via intermediate dark worlds (such as dwarf stars, rogue planets etc). The whole reasoning is to bottleneck players into the same "space lanes" to encourage player encounters.

I think that sounds OK... you need some sort of mechanic to bring people together. EVE has it's stargates - this sounds better on first impressions.

Associate
Could mean juicy pickings for a group of pirates as well, will have to wait till it gets archived for a butchers as i only have access to the normal and PBF.
Still seems interesting to a degree, but then if it goes ahead hopefully during alpha and beta play will just show how good/bad it really is.

Don
Had a discussion with a dev so I'm more comfortable with it now, plus it opens up a meaningful purpose for explorers to discover these dark worlds.

Edit: It could in fact be quite awesome how they deal with it.

Soldato
Folks... where does it give you the choice to select the print art?
Also where is the thread concerning "death" in the backers forum? whats the title of the thread as I cant see it.

Last edited:
Don
Not particularly impressed with the result of last weeks discussion piece around death/ship loss.

They're proposing 2 modes
Casual - lose your ship and you will automatically respawn at the last station with a new ship, minus your cargo/consumables like missiles and fuel
Hardcore - you need to manually activate an escape pod within 5-10s of your ship being "destroyed" if you do this it's like casual mode, if you forget or are extremely inept you die and need to start again in hardcore or just continue with your character in casual mode.

You can switch from hardcore to casual but not the other way round.

Meh.

Don
I think most people seem to be unhappy with it. What happens when you lose your ship was quite divisive in the discussion thread, but it's like they've completed ignored everyone and chosen something that doesn't really please anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom