*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Even though it's only airless planets atm, theres quite a lot of variation. Here is a nice one I took earlier :)

Screenshot_0038.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea you have to be really careful going down, especially on high gravity worlds. Or you can just never pull up :O

It's much safer to go in at an angle then you can boost out if things are going bad.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yea you have to be really careful going down, especially on high gravity worlds. Or you can just never pull up :O

I failed at everything there lol, no gliding and far too steep descent but learning curves are good in beta and that would have been around 30 mil down the swanny if it was the main game :D

After the patch, everything seems to be super sweet now. I can remain connected and things seem to work as they should. Good work FD.

Soldato
Should I get this?

-I like flying and flying around in Flight Simulator making my own goals
-I like the 'boring bits' of flight simulator like taxing and refueling...
-I like space
-I like RPGs where I make my own story

-I have never got into spaceship combat game before (and I've tried X3 2.0 or 3.0 or something and Freespace 2 with overhaul mod).
-I will be using a 360 pad and keyboard.

I got it the other day, and I've done all the tutorials and love the feel of flying and docking etc. But I've just started a new game and it dumped me at some station... and I have no idea what to do!

Soldato
I got it the other day, and I've done all the tutorials and love the feel of flying and docking etc. But I've just started a new game and it dumped me at some station... and I have no idea what to do!

Anything you want :)

Best to start with some missions. You can also make a TON of money doing community goals, which are usually a mix of things and run for a few days. E.g. station needs X of something and you need to source it yourself, the more you supply before the goal is reached the more you get paid (plus the profits from the actual trade). These are how the stations get built and the human bubble expands.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been on a planets surface for a bit this evening and managed to use the new wave scanner to decent effect :)
I have to say i prefer the way you find things with the wave scanner more than i do the discovery scanner when discovering a system of planets. This is how the discovery scanner should also have been implemented some way. The current dscan and you know where everything is takes away from the exploration IMO.

Below are some of the goodies i discovered on an ice planet -

Also on one planet i went to there was an Installation, i presumed it would have landing pads as it said no commodities market, but alas when i arrived there were no pads and no way to ask for docking, as below.

Soldato
I ended up getting this in the steam sale & so far it seems really enjoyable.
Have been using a xbox 360 pad, started with bounty hunting & have made around 600k in an hour in a sidewinder, have upgraded the power distrib & thrusters.

Just looking at other ships but am not sure the Eagle is worth getting over the sidewinder :confused: (can't seem to find any comparisons of agility which seems the main possible benefit?)

I have read that trading can be more lucrative so might save up for a trading ship.

Soldato
Yea, I wouldn't bother with the Eagle. They are really agile ships but they are lacking in most other areas really. Your next combat options are Viper or Cobra. Viper is basically pure combat and cobra is multipurpose. A lot of people use the Cobra religiously, it's arguably the most popular ship in the game. If you want to go trading route then a hauler or Adder are your best bets for now. Then you could get the t6 (can't remember how much they are).

Soldato
Got this game at the weekend, and really enjoying. I wonder if anyone can give me some tips about how discovery scanners and exploring work though? I get the overall gist, but there are some basic mechanics I'm not understanding I think.

Should you be able to get exploration for every system? Or are some well known enough that you can't? Is it as simple as: if there's nothing showing as 'unexplored' in the system, then you can't get data from anywhere in the system?
I expected to have to use my discovery scanner, but in some systems the moment I jump in I get a message to say some bodies are discovered. But then sometimes if I immediately use my scanner, it finds some extras.
I take it that doing the individual body scans is only of value for things showing as unexplored?

Soldato
Still don't have the install option for this. is it supposed to automatically appear?
Click on Support in the menu of the Launcher. This will take you to the Frontier support page, where you can download the latest Launcher, in case yours isn't up to date. Remember to close everything (including the webpage) before doing the install.
It worked for a friend having the same issue last night.

The new launcher should now have everything, assuming you bought into the Beta and all.

Just looking at other ships but am not sure the Eagle is worth getting over the sidewinder :confused: (can't seem to find any comparisons of agility which seems the main possible benefit?)
Each one on the shipyard page of stats has a 10-segment bar showing the manoeuvrability rating.
Eagle - 10/10
Sidewinder - 8/10
Viper - 6/10
Type-9 - 0/10!!

Those are the stock manoeuvrability scores, so beefing up will improve either ship.
The Eagle can be kitted out to do some pretty hefty damage - Three of those zooming around a Python can drop it in no time at all. I loved mine.

I have read that trading can be more lucrative so might save up for a trading ship.
Eventually, yes.
You need some savvy trade routes and a ship that can hold enough cargo though, or you'll end up spending more on just the fuel than you make from the trades.
Trading in Rare commodities is a good way to start.
Combat is more lively, though.

I'd suggest taking various different types of missions in your Sidewinder, upgrading your kit a bit and exploring all the different options - Mining, smuggling, combat, assassinations, cargo runs, data, exploration... See what you get on best with. Usually a combination/multitask will be the best to get you started, so something like hunting pirates in a RES or the USSes, while dropping in on WSSes and picking up stolen cargo, all on your way through systems (scan them for Cartographical data too) to complete missions...

Is there a favoured control method?
Joystick and Throttle (HOTAS) is the main one, I expect.
Got a range of choices, from £30 cheapy ones right up to the full monty, with rudder pedals and everything.

Should you be able to get exploration for every system? Or are some well known enough that you can't?
This is not my area of interest, but here's what I can tell you...
Generally, when it says Unexplored, that just means YOU haven't explored it yet. You can buy the system data when you use Galaxy Map (think you must be docked for this facility) if you prefer, in which case nothing will then be Unknown to you.

I always give the Disco scanner a charge up when I enter a system. This makes it go BLAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHH and you find the Unknowns. Sometimes the scanner stays active, while other times you need to charge it again. Sometimes new Unknowns only appear when you get closer to them. Not sure how this part works, so I just keep charging it periodically.

You can scan each new Unknown and get the details as you've probably been doing so far. If you then take this a certain distance from that system, you can sell that data - It's something like a minimum 20Ly from source, so if you're going on a long journey, scan every new system you go through. I think the further away you take teh data, the more it's worth?

Is it as simple as: if there's nothing showing as 'unexplored' in the system, then you can't get data from anywhere in the system?
I believe so, yes.... although it's merely Unknown. If it's Unexplored, then scan away. If you are indeed the first to explore that system, it's worth more money and your name is down as the one who discovered it. If you discover an Earth-like system, it's worth even more money!!

However, I believe you lose all your data if you die before getting it all back to a station to sell it.

I expected to have to use my discovery scanner, but in some systems the moment I jump in I get a message to say some bodies are discovered. But then sometimes if I immediately use my scanner, it finds some extras.
This is the bit I'm not sure on - It seems to be passive or active, depending on when you last charged it... and I just haven't bothered to look up how it works in the forum/manual.
That's why I charge it periodically/on entering a new system.

Hopefully someone will offer better insight than I....

Soldato
Click on Support in the menu of the Launcher. This will take you to the Frontier support page, where you can download the latest Launcher, in case yours isn't up to date. Remember to close everything (including the webpage) before doing the install.
It worked for a friend having the same issue last night.

The new launcher should now have everything, assuming you bought into the Beta and all.

Thanks but will this work with the steam launcher? Im conscience of having two instances of the launcher.

Caporegime
Is there a favoured control method?

I can't seem to get to grips with the standard M/KB. :(

Even a cheap joystick will make a huge difference to your gameplay. I use a Logitech Attack three which must be seven or eight years old and it's great. Sure if you have an Xbox pad already or are going to use it but for 'flying' games, joystick every time.

Back
Top Bottom