*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
main pita is a have gotten a Xbox 1 elite pad and the game recognises it is different. so refuses to load my control profile. I need to make a new one and that takes some doing.
Have you tried creating a new profile and then just cut-and-pasting from your existing profile? If ED thinks it's a different type of controller then there might be some additional/changed settings, but there's not much to lose if you're just messing with a new profile.

The bindings files are (at least for my install) in <Users>\<Your username>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Soldato
I have a hotas but have swapped the throttle out for a 2nd stick.
the game does play really well as a twin stick
(and use a pad for the galaxy map,.SRV, on foot stuff and spectral analysis)

main pita is a have gotten a Xbox 1 elite pad and the game recognises it is different. so refuses to load my control profile. I need to make a new one and that takes some doing.
What do you use for throttle then? Surely not (left) joy forwards/backwards?

Last edited:
Associate
In my case, I found I rarely need anything other than the throttle presets, which I've got bound on a hat switch. Plus the throttle increase and decrease bindings are on another one for the few occasions when I want finer throttle control (typically going slower than 25%).

Then for trying to find the elusive spot to set the Anaconda down in mountains, I've got forward/back bound on the left stick twist axis (along with the other translations on the other axes on that stick). Plus the rotations on the right stick, of course.

I don't have the throttle bound as an axis anywhere.

Still can't control the ship properly in FA-off, though.

Soldato
I use the twist yaw on my left stick for throttle

note it isn't twin sticks of a gamepad it's the joystick from my x55 hotas which the throttle failed on as my left stick (not ideal as it's a right handed joystick) and my right stick is my x56.

the right stick has pitch strafe and roll and the left stick is thrusters up down left right and then the twist axis for throttle.

the right grip switch is FAnoff and the left grip switch is silent running

right stick trigger fire 1 and left stick trigger fire 2

then the other buttons for various stuff and voice attack uses keyboard controls to mop up

Last edited:
Soldato
Still can't control the ship properly in FA-off, though.
it's worth sticking with FA off. I don't use it all the time but your ship is WAY more responsive with it off so if you want to do the battle star Galactica flip you have to turn FA off, flip then turn on again.
for practice start using it on the bigger ships and if you get into trouble turn it on again .

the T9 was the shop I started dabbling with it. it is less useful on the small ships imo

remember even with FA on your ship is more responsive with the throttle in the blue zone.

and never fly without rebuy :)

Last edited:
Associate
it's worth sticking with FA off. I don't use it all the time but your ship is WAY more responsive with it off so if you want to do the battle star Galactica flip you have to turn FA off, flip then turn on again.
for practice start using it on the bigger ships and if you get into trouble turn it on again .
Weirdly, after I switched to HOSAS I did the initial training again to get the hang of it and messed around there with FA-off and didn't really have a problem with it. But somehow that didn't translate when I went back into the game proper.

I should really put some practice into it as, like you say, it's useful.

the T9 was the shop I started dabbling with it. it is less useful on the small ships imo

I don't think I tried it in the T9, I'll give that a go at some point; once I'm back in the bubble.

and never fly without rebuy :)

After the trade CG a little while back that was stupidly profitable, that really isn't a problem.

Back
Top Bottom