*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Anyone using Voice Attack for this? I tried getting back into it but so many controls on my X55 HOTAS and it put me off, again sadly. I have the vehicle DLC whatever that was called.

Associate
Anyone using Voice Attack for this? I tried getting back into it but so many controls on my X55 HOTAS and it put me off, again sadly. I have the vehicle DLC whatever that was called.
Horizons :)

Yes, I use Voice Attack, although pretty much everything I need is mapped to the joystick anyway. My X52 has enough buttons (and most of them automatically applied correctly by Elite, I tweaked a few for comfort).

I tend to use 'landing gear', 'engage' <- for warping natch, and 'request docking' purely to feel badass. I can do them all with the joystick.

The other nice thing is that your ship can talk with you if you install EDDI. She'll read an external database and comment on the system you warp into, or station prices etc.

Associate
Horizons :)

Yes, I use Voice Attack, although pretty much everything I need is mapped to the joystick anyway. My X52 has enough buttons (and most of them automatically applied correctly by Elite, I tweaked a few for comfort).

I tend to use 'landing gear', 'engage' <- for warping natch, and 'request docking' purely to feel badass. I can do them all with the joystick.

The other nice thing is that your ship can talk with you if you install EDDI. She'll read an external database and comment on the system you warp into, or station prices etc.

Need more info on EDDI! That sounds awesome!

Associate
I've been using it for a while, I play in VR and my Hotas-X doesn't have nearly enough buttons. I'm not a huge fan of Voice Attack, mainly because there are some words it just won't reliably recognise no matter how much I train the speech recognition engine.

Soldato
I've been using it for a while, I play in VR and my Hotas-X doesn't have nearly enough buttons. I'm not a huge fan of Voice Attack, mainly because there are some words it just won't reliably recognise no matter how much I train the speech recognition engine.

I'm sure you're already aware. But you know you can use buttons as modifiers right (for example hold the thumb Square button and push another)? Using those you should have plenty of buttons. I did this when I had my HOTAS X and there was more than enough.

Soldato
The key with transitioning to a HOTAS with as many controls as yours (or even more, like mine) is to do it gradually. Start with the basics, ie menu, thrusters, weapons, basic targeting and your landing/jump.
Then gradually add in others like power management, scanning, weapon slots, cargo scoop, Wingman, subsystem targeting, and whatever else you need to use.

But do have a little think about what you use most, where you want it and how the functions are grouped.
For instance, I have all my targeting on a stick hat - Target ahead, nearest hostile, subsystem cycle and general cycle are the defaults, but I use a modifier key on the same hat to start targeting Wing members.
Same for thrusters, SRV steering, landing and jump controls, menu and panel navigation. You end up using even more control combinations, but it's also much easier to use them all because they're context-based and grouped with other similar commands, and you remember them all far easier.

Associate
I'm sure you're already aware. But you know you can use buttons as modifiers right (for example hold the thumb Square button and push another)? Using those you should have plenty of buttons. I did this when I had my HOTAS X and there was more than enough.
I've tried that in the past, but I have a lousy memory and kept getting mixed up and hitting the wrong button combination :)

Voice Attack, even with its dubious ability to decode my accent, works better for me. Plus I was already using it to be able to enter system names on the galactic map using the phonetic alphabet.

Soldato
I'm not a huge fan of Voice Attack, mainly because there are some words it just won't reliably recognise no matter how much I train the speech recognition engine.

Well use different words that it does easily recognise with your speech pattern then :confused: unless you are using HCS voice packs and even then if you are there are multiple words and phrases to achieve the same thing.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting this but not sure with all the mixed reviews on steam, can I get some honest opinions? I'm looking for an epic space based time sink that isn't EVE!

Associate
Then there's buyouts to pay for when you die. That can get upto 45mil a pop if you have the right ship/load out. My corvette is 22mil buyout and that is considered cheapish for that ship!

Yup! The insurance is the reason i don't play in open when flying an expensive ship.. If you die to pve then you are at fault, but pvp is a different ball game. I was in open for a community goal in my 30+million insurance fully a-rated and engineered combat vette and got ambushed by a wing of other large ships. I think i last 15secs....

If they reduced the insurance for pvp deaths to a fraction of what they are i think it would encourage a lot more to play in open.

@Vidar I never played EVE, but some people have sunk 100's of hours into this game with ease, it can be picked up pretty cheap and you can immerse yourself in it and play at your own speed / style. Give it a whirl!

Soldato
Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting this but not sure with all the mixed reviews on steam, can I get some honest opinions? I'm looking for an epic space based time sink that isn't EVE!

Really comes down to what you want to do. If you like the idea of having to really fly a spaceship and enjoy all the complexities around that, if you like exploring the vast emptiness of space, if you are happy to play a very sandbox orientated game full of lots of silly flaws.... Elite is probably a game you'll get on well with. I watched this video a while back on Youtube and aswell as being entertaining it does cover the topic of the game's rating well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa0b2Kd2xhU
tl;dr version = if you like space you'll probably like it, if you want fast pick up and play storyline you'll hate it.

Personally I love the game despite some really stupid issues and lots of repetativity. This coming from someone with 4000+ hours of game time in Eve Online and currently on a break, I'm up to something like 150 hours in Elite now.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Lets be honest here.

Yes its a great game for about 200 hrs after that it tails off into....... boring very quickly.

So for the price of 3 movie visits you get a significant amount of stuff to keep you entertained, if you run VR then you can add another 100hrs just flying around our own solar system.

Soldato
Yes its a great game for about 200 hrs after that it tails off into....... boring very quickly.
I think you are right here, I feel like I'm starting to hit that wall where I'm getting frustrated with the lack of content variation - missions in particular. I've got the Chieftain which I like but there is too much of a grind for anything beyond that, compounded by Frontier doing ill thought out nerfs to any way of making money.

Not played much for the past week or so, but got next week off so might start doing a trip to the centre of the galaxy and see where that goes.

Soldato
The nerfs are a PITA. What happened to paying for a game "as is" and the developer confines changes to fixing game breaking crashes, not tweaking gameplay because in their view people are advancing too quickly?

Back
Top Bottom