*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
I'm all for Devs fixing broken and unbalanced content, but rushing in with badly planned changes that don't fix the root cause of issues is frustrating. Most of the issues around the mission system could be eased if they blocked the ability to relog into the game and get a different set of missions, remove that and then they could fine tune and fix balance of individual machines without having such a game breaking affect when they get it wrong :/ Does feel like they don't playtest the game. But to be fair, I come from playing Eve, so I'm kinda used to that behaviour after many years of fixes like that in Eve! lol

Associate
Most of the issues around the mission system could be eased if they blocked the ability to relog into the game and get a different set of missionsl

They are working on that. The problem is the missions are stored on the servers so every time someone relogs & they get a different server they get a different mission board. They said they viewed not region locking players is more worthwhile than doing the easy fix so it will be fixed but not for awhile due to other priorities taking dev time.

Associate
OK, I've finally started to play this after having owned it since release (I have the lifetime expansion pass along with the base game) and I'm finding it quite hard going. I have the Thrustmaster hotas x controller and the oculus rift, although I'm not using the rift for now till I know what I'm doing.

I could use a little advice,

Is there a recommended bindings set that means I can do everything using the hotas from inside the rift, and is it available as a downloading file??

Just how long does the pain last? I'm here for the long haul but knowing when the light at the end of the tunnel will show up would be nice..

Associate
Well, that's a big question, the learning part is down to you. Everytime I pick this up again, after a leave of absence, I have to relearn everything.
I have a X52 flight stick and once I've got my Vive on I don't need to touch the keyboard again (apart from the galaxy map as I really can't get comforatable with that in VR).
Having bought a second account recently the starting missions are a great way to ease yourself into the game. You still have to learn how to fly but the mechanics for earning credits is explained.

I'm also a big supporter of VoiceAttack, it's nothing more than a voice controlled keyboard. You say a word or words and it presses a key or set of keys for you but it adds so much to the immersion. My little script for requesting docking is awesome and helps you feel like you're talking to traffic control directly.
Once you slip into VR you'll see it's all worth the 'pain'. Gliding around an asteroid field hunting bounties is beautiful, watching the local enforcement agents fly around you, trying to keep a loose formation with them as you all attack wanted pilots. Bliss.

Associate
Well I'm really determined to get to 'slightly better than useless' standard, but it is a really steep learning curve. I've printed out a blank hotas layout sheet so I can get everythingwritten in front of me so I'm hoping that will make life a bit easier to start with.
There are just so many controls my head hurts after not very long. Right now I am just going through the training missions repeatedly until the basic controls are learnt, and I've found a Horizons binding file today I'm going to try
tonight as it looks like it has most things covered thanks to using 4 buttons as modifiers.

I cant wait to get deep into VR though and I'm sure it's gonna be worth it :D:D:D

Associate
OK, I've finally started to play this after having owned it since release (I have the lifetime expansion pass along with the base game) and I'm finding it quite hard going. I have the Thrustmaster hotas x controller and the oculus rift, although I'm not using the rift for now till I know what I'm doing.

I could use a little advice,

Is there a recommended bindings set that means I can do everything using the hotas from inside the rift, and is it available as a downloading file??

Just how long does the pain last? I'm here for the long haul but knowing when the light at the end of the tunnel will show up would be nice..

I went with this one for the Hotas X - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=178834

although it's not the best for combat - the 2nd fire button is on the shoulder by default
and you will have to assign the drop from supercruise button, as, for some odd reason, he left that out - I changed it to the ST button instead of ship lights.
Takes a while to get used to, but has made a big difference.
S.

Associate
I went with this one for the Hotas X - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=178834

although it's not the best for combat - the 2nd fire button is on the shoulder by default
and you will have to assign the drop from supercruise button, as, for some odd reason, he left that out - I changed it to the ST button instead of ship lights.
Takes a while to get used to, but has made a big difference.
S.
I did look at crabs, but went with this one.. https://www.odingaming.com/2017/10/24/elite-dangerous-hotas/

Soldato
Do Courier Missions between Ceos & Sothis but be quick as FDev are nerfing it by adding more stations to the systems.

I believe this has now happened if the posts on the official forum are correct. However it still should be a lucrative area to make money as the missions will be confined to the two systems, just more drop off points. Will be a while before I test it though as now roughly 1/3 of the way to Beagle Point on a big exploration trip.

The hardest part of ED though (IMHO) remains trying to put forward an idea or opinion on the official forum without it getting shot down by the purists and zealots. For example maybe some means of respawning without losing weeks of progress and scan data if you accidentally die on a long exploration trip. I have never known such obsession over a game and resistance to putting in an option that might actually make it more fun. You wouldn't expect to get killed during FO4 Nuclear Option and get bounced all the way back to the showdown with Kellogg! ;)

Associate
The hardest part of ED though (IMHO) remains trying to put forward an idea or opinion on the official forum without it getting shot down by the purists and zealots. For example maybe some means of respawning without losing weeks of progress and scan data if you accidentally die on a long exploration trip. I have never known such obsession over a game and resistance to putting in an option that might actually make it more fun. You wouldn't expect to get killed during FO4 Nuclear Option and get bounced all the way back to the showdown with Kellogg! ;)

The reason why you lose the data is because it is stored on your ship & your ship has been destroyed so I can't see that every being changed tbh… if you fly out into uninhabited space you'll just have to be careful not to put yourself in a position were your ship is in danger of biting the dust. Regarding suggestions, the devs popup on live streams quite often so you can always try to ask them directly.

Associate
The reason why you lose the data is because it is stored on your ship & your ship has been destroyed so I can't see that every being changed tbh…

I'm in some agreement with the original post. If your collected materials can be preserved on loss of your ship, so can data. Surely there must be some way of backing up data to be kept with the commander.

Soldato
So I finally have this and jeez it's so much more complicated than I expected and I'm not even out of the tutorials yet!

I've gone with the Hotas Warthog which I got very cheaply elsewhere, and downloaded the official profile for it. I'm just trying to get a grip of the ship controls, editing the control profile to what suits me. I'm definitely wanting to try this with rudder pedals now as I'm finding the throttle mini stick just isn't sensitive enough for stuff like scooping up mined materials off of asteroids, I keep missing them or getting them by accident. Loving it though so far and would definitely love to try this in VR at some point.

Can you guys recommend any tips?

Associate
I'm in some agreement with the original post. If your collected materials can be preserved on loss of your ship, so can data. Surely there must be some way of backing up data to be kept with the commander.

You can't make a quarter of a billion credits in one go from materials though; it's a risk vs reward mechanic. The longer you stay out the more money you can make but the higher the chance you can lose the lot. I see no problem with it tbh.

Can you guys recommend any tips?

Don't 'grind.' You are not meant to win the game in 24 hours, just play it at a pace you are happy with & you'll enjoy it a lot more.
Set your Galaxy Map to Fastest Route
If you have a question just ask here or on one of the many Elite discords
Don't mine until the Q4 update & you can use Collector Limpets to collect materials - no need to chase them down yourself
Consider joining a Player Group; most will teach you the ropes & give you a greater goal to strive for.
If you don't want to do Open visit Mobius PVE: https://elitepve.com/
If you want to record your progress checkout: https://inara.cz/ & https://www.edsm.net/ (both can be updated automatically by installing Elite Dangerous Market Connector from https://github.com/Marginal/EDMarketConnector/wiki)

Soldato

This is the argument. We are in a Universe where on death your avatar magically spirits back 40,000 LY to where you started so we have this crazy half c0cked rebuy/respawn scheme where you survive, your materials in your rucksack do but not data or progress on your 34th century USB stick!

Associate
This is the argument. We are in a Universe where on death your avatar magically spirits back 40,000 LY to where you started so we have this crazy half c0cked rebuy/respawn scheme where you survive, your materials in your rucksack do but not data or progress on your 34th century USB stick!

Exactly. And if the risk/reward mechanic is crucial, then some approach where the data gets degraded in some way, or you lose the last 10% of the systems you scanned.

Associate
Guys do we have an official ocuk discord server or squad or anything like that? Would love to learn from some of you and get involved with stuff.

There is an unofficial OcUK Discord but it doesn't really have an Elite: Dangerous Community… https://discord.gg/p8G8jE6

I'm a member of Elite Torval & you can ask anything you want in the public tea room at… https://discord.gg/01208H0qcjUPFPbm6
Elsewhere, there is Galactic Academy which is pretty good at… https://discord.gg/0ov97zGV3VZlCnlX
& if you are PvE only then of course there is Mobius at… https://discord.gg/RrFfNmU

Soldato
Been playing this for a few weeks now and have got to grips with trade, type 7 is fully kitted out with an eye watering rebuy price for me. Combat I'm just not getting at all.

Would love to try this in vr though

Back
Top Bottom