*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Permabanned
Custom keybind overwritten with a default setup by the patch as expected. Only changes I could see was some new keys to control the new GalNet audio playback. Was able to get my old custom binds back by copy pasting those new Galnet Audio keybinds to the end of my old V2.0 custom file and also change the major version number to "3" and also rename the file to include the 3 version to be safe.

So for info in case anyone else is wondering why their controls have been reset here is what I did to quickly get back what I had before:

1) Start the game and go into control settings, and see that your beloved finely tuned V2.0 custom key bind files has gone.
2) Force a new V3.0 custom keybind file to be created by picking a random control and setting a random key, doesn't matter which, just needs to create the new custom file.
3) Quit the game. Go to the keybinds folder which is in C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Frontier Developments\Options\Bindings. In there there should be the new Custom.3.0.binds file and your old custom.2.0.binds file, maybe with a .backup extension. Preferably you made a backup before to be sure, but it appeared to create one anyway and store it in this folder.
4) Open your old bindings file in a text editor and change the version number on the second line in the file from "2" to "3" where it says MajorVersion. Mine now says <Root PresetName="Custom" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0"> Don't know if this is critical but I did it anyway.
5) Open the Custom.3.0.binds file in another window and scroll to the bottom. Copy all the GalnetAudio lines from this file to the end of your old custom file, making sure to insert it above the final </Root> line. Mine looks like this.

Code:
<GalnetAudio_SkipForward>
        <Primary Device="{NoDevice}" Key="" />
        <Secondary Device="{NoDevice}" Key="" />
    </GalnetAudio_SkipForward>
    <GalnetAudio_SkipBackward>
    </GalnetAudio_SkipBackward>
    <GalnetAudio_ClearQueue>
    </GalnetAudio_ClearQueue>
</Root>

6) Save your new proper custom keybind and give it a new name. Not sure if it matters but I think it needs to end in ".3.0.binds", so mine is "MSFF2.3.0.binds". It should then in theory appear in the drop down keybind list next time your start the game.

Your mileage may vary but this worked for me.
Thanks for this, ill give it a try.
I see your using the Microsoft force feedback 2 stick? Best stick ever made imo, there so good i purchased 2 of them.

Associate
I have owned this game for two years but could not get into it but last Christmas I received a HTC headset and with a cheap HOTAS it is visually incredible but the Hot fix this week appalls me.
Do they do this often?
stop missions because of there own lack of competence at basic testing. I had hoped that by version 3.02 the game would not just look like a AAA title but have the mechanics.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well when i played along long time ago far far away in a distant room in some house somewhere :)....the engineers put me off because you would grind and when you roll it gives you worse stats, it can give you better.
This really annoyed me and i stopped playing, thing is i stopped playing before cause of the grind since Powerplay BS and engineers put me off again for another 16 months.
So has it changed at all.... i heard it was in the pipleline? I used to keep up on ED but not bothered for a while, im tempted to login again!
Were is SPG? Ill get his opinion too as before i stopped playing i agreed with SPG after having played since Original Alpha and KS backer.

In all honesty I have not fired the game up.

After reading of the patch notes, I decided to give it a miss to the next update, while pretty looking planets, a new ship and a smidge of Alien content is super splendid its still the same with a shine on top.

Engineers does not really effect me anymore, The trade calculator while nice for folk who need money its not for me :)

I am also having a blast on PubG which is a little like electronic crack and the reason i am constantly tired as playing till 0030 is not good for you at my age.

Soldato
There is currently a major problem with the Galaxy Map post 3.0. If you try and scroll it, judders to a halt and the game CTDs. Wasn't an issue in 2.4. This makes it impossible to plot jumponium or neutron boost jumps which can only be done by manually manipulating the map and finding a suitable star in the general direction you're headed.

I've actually scaled back my time in the game to an hour or less a day. Mainly because exploring you are constantly jumping and getting that bright sun in your face particularly if you detail scanned it. Really affects the eyestrain. Tried playing with the gamma settings to no avail and Google Fu reveals there is nothing that can be done in game to darken the visor and display.

Associate
There is currently a major problem with the Galaxy Map post 3.0.

It is fine for me & I have not heard anyone else having this problem. Graphics driver?

I've actually scaled back my time in the game to an hour or less a day. Mainly because exploring you are constantly jumping and getting that bright sun in your face particularly if you detail scanned it.

Don't scan it so close. If you are doing the system anyway there is no point to scanning near the arrival point plus they only pay about 3k so you'd probably make more money not scanning it at due to the time saves; only neutron stars, black holes & white dwarfs are worth more than a couple of grand.

Soldato
Well I finally made it to Sagittarius-A, registering my achievement on the official forum. Long haul out there but worth it I think, even longer coming back and I'm now dabbling with neutron star boosting which was going well until I misjudged something and got a nasty overheat. I *think* my ship is still in one piece but kind of broke out the sweats a bit.

Associate
Well I finally made it to Sagittarius-A, registering my achievement on the official forum. Long haul out there but worth it I think, even longer coming back and I'm now dabbling with neutron star boosting which was going well until I misjudged something and got a nasty overheat. I *think* my ship is still in one piece but kind of broke out the sweats a bit.

What ship are you using? I ask as different ships tend to be more sensitive to overheating.

Soldato
Still yet to do a long visit away from the bubble, not been further than the Orion Nebula. Pretty awesome views there though, some day I'll head to Sagittarius A and Colonia... In the meantime having far too much in the Chieftain I bought. Looks cool, decent jump range, lots of damage. Much preferring it over the Python I bought!

Associate
Asp Explorer. I think the secret is getting as close to the tail end as you can, if need be returning for a second pass.
When I tried it out in my AspX a while back , I came to the conclusion that I wasn't gaining that much in terms of distance versus time given the extra time it took to set up the jump and the plotting a viable route etc. Gave up on it as if I'm travelling that far I prefer to just jump honk jump, with half my brain switched off.

Soldato
When I tried it out in my AspX a while back , I came to the conclusion that I wasn't gaining that much in terms of distance versus time given the extra time it took to set up the jump and the plotting a viable route etc. Gave up on it as if I'm travelling that far I prefer to just jump honk jump, with half my brain switched off.

Having taken some serious damage in a botched neutron approach last night, think I will revert back to conventional travel. Most of my AFMU resources consumed repairing the damage and the DSS is gone so I can't readily find landable planets to harvest the materials to refill it. Luckily the canopy and hull intact but my quick run back towards Deciat has now become a struggle back to the closest outpost with a repairer. Such is the world of ED!!

Soldato
When you say the DSS is gone? As in 0% health? If so can you try a reboot/repair to get it back online with minimal health?

I only discovered the reboot/repair feature yesterday after panicing during a fight. Went to a Threat 2 distress call USS yesterday and got shot at by 5 small ships in my Chieftain, lost thrusters completely (from full health) in about 30 seconds having killed one and was then dead in the water, luckily I drifted away from the enemies and had time to google what to do. Reboot/Repair got me up to 2% thruster health and able to get back to a station.

Soldato
This really annoyed me and i stopped playing, thing is i stopped playing before cause of the grind since Powerplay BS and engineers put me off again for another 16 months.
I have only unlocked and used 2 or 3 Engineers, really. I don't believe you should have to spend ages buying the absolute best stuff, only to then have to grind more to Engineer and overclock it *just* to get by in a PvE game.
So I just play with mostly whatever I can buy at stations, already. I do alright, take down most trouble, etc...

and the reason i am constantly tired as playing till 0030 is not good for you at my age.
Blimey... That's barely midnight - How old does that make you, then? I thought I was old, calling it a night a 0300!! :p

Soldato
I haven't found that engineering stuff is a requirement for PvE at all, everything I've done I could have done just by buying a better ship / being a better pilot etc. Just quite enjoy tinkering with the engineering to improve ships. Some of the grind to unlock them is plain stupid though. Multiple 300LY round trips delivering 10 of a speciifc item at a time as you can't buy more just to unlock someone... Damn you Broo Tarquin! If only I didn't want pimped lasers so much.

Associate
Been having a blast with this so far and literally just bought Horizons too :D I'm currently in a Viper MKIV which is reasonably tricked out and have a bit over 3 million in credits so far. Not gone very far at all since I have been running missions mostly since I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to get the best prices for trading etc (I remember it being so much easier in the previous games).

Overall though loving it (even with playing on mouse and keyboard :D)

Stoner81.

Associate
I'd stick with missions for money tbh but if you want to have a second punt at trading then https://eddb.io/trade/commodity is invaluable.

Thanks for the link bud most appreciated, I do agree that I making pretty decent credits off of missions now that I have some cargo space (30 ish or so I think) so I just scan the mission area and snag all the ones going to the same system and do them all at once. Lather, rinse and repeat :D

I must say mouse and keyboard is working quite well for me now that I have messed about with some of the key binding and gotten used to them.

Stoner81.

Back
Top Bottom