*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
'Pay to win' elements (ships guns etc behind a paywall) added to existing game content :mad:
What "guns etc" did they put behind a paywall? I must've missed that. The only thing I was aware of was early access to the Python MkII via ARX, before it becomes available to everyone a bit later.

Associate
They also pretty much doubled the price of every item on the Arx store they other day too. Even for console players. The also accidentally forgot to mention this at any point before they did it.
Yeah, that was very dodgy. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they doubled everyone's existing ARX as well, but the way they've done this is not OK.

Soldato
there's talk about the game going pay to win for the future
if they did that they will loose most people

I don't see how that would bother anyone except for people who enjoy PVP. I've certainly never seen it as a competitive game, but then again I don't play with other people because I don't want to be ganked by some sweaty neckbeard.

Last edited:
Associate
there's talk about the game going pay to win for the future
if they did that they will loose most people
There's lots of talk about it, but it's all absolute rubbish. And as Noxia said, you can't "pay to win" in a game where there is no concept of "winning". It's just a lot of people being very, very silly :rolleyes:

Soldato
personally it doesn't affect me too much but I think people worried about this have a point.
when ARX 1st launched FD made a point of saying it wasn't a slippery slope and that arx would only ever be used for cosmetics .

now we have the python 2 and more importantly it's engineered as well.

now you may not care, it may not affect you (it doesn't affect me) but it is the very definition of P2W. (P2W isn't just about "winning" in direct PvP)
if you think it's fine that is ok , but it doesn't change it imo.

however the price increases do cheese.me off somewhat. I have 25000 arx which are now objectively devalued. some of the price increases are pretty rough to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still don't see it personally. Experienced players will have far better ships than the ones you can buy and engineered beyond the basic offerings. A new player isn't going to do jack ****, same as if I bought a F1 car and tried to race with experienced drivers.
ARX, never even looked at the store tbh, but I've never done ingame purchases in any game.

Last edited:
Soldato
I only play solo so I don't really care whether other people can get any kind of leg up, but I can also see things like being able to either directly buy mats with arx, or buy "prospecting" tools or whatever boost item to speed up mat gathering with arx, is going to upset the game, and it would be tempting for FDev to increase the grind for non payers, or at least not properly reform the grind tasks in the players favour. I still enjoy pottering about on my Steam Deck though, though mainly due to the amazement of running a game like Elite on such a cool device more than anything.

Edit: To be clear, they haven't yet done anything like this with mats yet on the store, but they did say they were going to "rework" engineering to make it easier for players to engineer ships faster, which me means either they are reducing the grind, or they are adding boosters for cash. And I know what I would put my arx on.

Last edited:
Soldato
What "guns etc" did they put behind a paywall? I must've missed that. The only thing I was aware of was early access to the Python MkII via ARX, before it becomes available to everyone a bit later.

I was talking more in general terms.

I.e cosmetic paid for items are one thing but placing 'better' guns/ ships etc behind a paywall is quite another thing.

Underboss
anyone know if its possible to put my epic games store copy of this game over to steam ?
i tried a couple of things i found via google, but not working , or i don't know how :(

i want to buy the Odyssey DLC from CD keys, but i don't wish to buy the base game again as its too much

thanks

Soldato
anyone know if its possible to put my epic games store copy of this game over to steam ?
i tried a couple of things i found via google, but not working , or i don't know how :(

i want to buy the Odyssey DLC from CD keys, but i don't wish to buy the base game again as its too much

thanks
It's £5.49 from CDKeys...

Underboss
anyone managed to build a good Fer De Lance for PVE ?

i thought mine was good now, but , maybe not

i can do low and medium intensity zones, but on the High ones, I'm fine against chieftains and challengers but when I'm up against an anaconda for example, my shields drop rapidly and then i get hit with missiles and then open my cargo hatch etc and I'm done in seconds ! :(

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Hit and Run from behind and below, do the Free Flip and 4 or 5 passes the Anoconda should be dead (if your engineered) Use the speed and agility of the FDL don't get in front of the Annoconda.

(better still get a Corvette and steam roll everything)

:)

Soldato
Played a bit of this during COVID but just downloaded again last week and can feel this starting to grip me :p

Any tips for newbies? I've done probably 12 hours over the weekend and got the controls working ok, and have been heading to resource extraction sites and tagging ships the space police are fighting for easy bounties.

But any tips/tricks/advice would be appreciated as it's a very overwhelming game!

Soldato
I have had so much enjoyment out of elite , however other than travelling from A to B I wouldn't get this to play on a deck. performance isn't great and the screen is too small. it isn't a good experience.
get it if you may play on your pc but other than that there are better games for the deck.

as for the game. start off simple. do data courier missions .
when you want to get used to combat do it in low intensity resource extraction and you get steal kills off police NPC's.

don't ever fly without the insurance excess of your ship ....
check out inara website for lucrative trade runs or local sources of goods it also has.some good start ship builds.

https://coriolis.io allows you to plan your own more advanced builds.

consider setting up a home around diaguandri. Ray gateway has a good supply of stuff and deep discounts.

start working on ticking the boxes for the engineers as soon as you can. sooner or later you will want their services. if you can tick their requirement boxes in natural gameplay it helps rather than having to grind them out.

eventually credits probably won't be a worry but starting off every credit counts. when you sell a ship you lose 10% but you do not lose anything when you sell parts of a ship. so for max profit strip your ship before selling but remember parts are modular so if you have an a rated size 3 fuel scoop for instance you may want to store that and use on a future ship.
this is even more.important if you have engineered some of your gear. generally don't sell engineered gear unless you are certain you won't need.it.

if you bought odyssey (and anyone buying now just get that from cd keys it's cheap as chips) then once you have a ship with good jump range and a fuel scoop, exobiology will make you money fast. go to unexplored space and you will earn even more cash.

Last edited:
Soldato
My only tip is to avoid using any of the more ridiculous money making short cuts as you will seriously destroy the best part of the game which is the first 100 hours starting from scratch and scrimping your way through the early ships. If you take the short cut you will be missing the most rewarding part of the game.

On the Steam Deck front, I have exclusively played on the Deck for the last 6 months when I got back into Elite. In fact it was the fact I can play it on the Deck which got me back into it. I am at the stage in Elite where all I want to to is casual stuff like material gathering, casual mining, running missions, driving around on planets in an SRV, exploring etc. Including combat, which initially was tricky to do on my Deck cos I had to really learn how to control the ships with two thumb sticks as opposed to a full on joystick, but once I learned it and set the Deck controls properly combat is as enjoyable. Full disclosure, this is with fully engineered ships, so survivability is easier, but still fun. Without engineered ships combat with Deck controls will be harder as you won't be as efficient in protecting your shield etc, but just tackle low ranked ships, or focus on getting your engineering unlocks first so you can forget about shield worries. If I was starting from scratch solely on the Deck then yes, it would be harder, but you would just take on what you can deal with at a more gentle pace, which actually would stretch out the best part of the game, i.e. the start.

Control-wise, with the two trackpads and extra rear buttons on the Deck I have all the usual functions mapped with button combos or menus on the trackpads. Really, once you set it up right it becomes second nature and it is quite remarkable how configurable the Deck is to control a game like Elite.

What I don't really do though is any Odyssey FPS stuff with the Deck. This is more to do with how fundamentally bland the FPS stuff is, but it does have to be said that framerate for the FPS stuff is only just acceptable on the Deck. But for anything in a ship, or in an SRV, the hardware of the Deck is just fine.

Soldato
Be interested to hear - Thinking of picking this up for my Steam Deck, but it sounds almost off putting in it's initial complexity
PC with a good joystick is ideal for the game I'd suggest as there is a lot of controls to make the most of the game. In my case I use a joystick + a throttle + a mini (analog) joystick on the thottle for vertical/lateral thrusters. Flight worked well with that.

Can't comment on what flying with a simpler setup is like.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a hotas but have swapped the throttle out for a 2nd stick.
the game does play really well as a twin stick
(and use a pad for the galaxy map,.SRV, on foot stuff and spectral analysis)

main pita is a have gotten a Xbox 1 elite pad and the game recognises it is different. so refuses to load my control profile. I need to make a new one and that takes some doing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom