*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
whether the new FSD will also be locked behind the cash store for 3 months, i am not sure ... it maybe you will be able to get the FSD in game as well from this afternoon in which case "yay" but if not, i think the preengineered ship with it on is around £15 worth of ARX. (I will be waiting)
New drives are available for in-game credits now, no ARX needed. Definitely a longer jump range than equivalently engineered normal drives. I haven't paid much attention to the other stats like power draw, so I'm not sure if they're an unambiguous upgrade over normal drives, or if there are still trade-offs.

Haven't had the chance to apply experimental effects to compare to the pre-engineered versions, but even without Mass Manager the new SCO drives are pretty close to the pre-engineered versions once you engineer them up to level 5.

Soldato
I've discovered the joy of voice macros. Saves me going to menu because I forgot which joystick button I mapped to something and then looking at my printout that shows me which joystick button is which.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've discovered the joy of voice macros. Saves me going to menu because I forgot which joystick button I mapped to something and then looking at my printout that shows me which joystick button is which.
you should get one of the (semi) official voice packs for it... they really add to the experience, loads of actors have made packs for it. if there is one you specifically fancy but its a bit pricey just keep eye on them, they often have offers. You do also need the full version of voice attack however, the freebie version wont cut it.

Last edited:
Soldato
you should get one of the (semi) official voice packs for it... they really add to the experience, loads of actors have made packs for it. if there is one you specifically fancy but its a bit pricey just keep eye on them, they often have offers. You do also need the full version of voice attack however, the freebie version wont cut it.

What I am using is completely free though as it's open source.

Soldato
fair enough, am not doubting it works, but the HCS ones are really good and imo worth the money - esp if on offer

out of curiosity do you ahve a link to your free one?

I wonder if we are talking about different things? Mine uses a voice command to simulate a key press. I don't get where voice packs would come into it? For example, I say "Night" to turn on night vision.
I can provide a link when I'm home, can't recall what it's called lol.

Soldato
the voice packs are 2 things in 1.... the 1st part which is technically "free" but bundled is what you are using, so it has 100s of different commands it recognises from target next vessel, engage supercruise through to request docking, open galaxy map or what ever.

the 2nd part is the voice recorded part which is the bit you officially pay for. in reality all it is is flavour, but it makes a massive difference imo and really completes the package.

so for instance, if you say enter supercruise, you may get a reply saying, acknowledged, firing up drive & preparing to engage.

but the thing which makes them so good (imo) is there are multiple recordings (iirc like 2500 in total) so it does not say exactly the same thing all of the time. Some of the packages are more science based, so you can ask your science officer to give you a report of the system you are in.

Last edited:
Underboss
the voice packs are 2 things in 1.... the 1st part which is technically "free" but bundled is what you are using, so it has 100s of different commands it recognises from target next vessel, engage supercruise through to request docking, open galaxy map or what ever.

the 2nd part is the voice recorded part which is the bit you officially pay for. in reality all it is is flavour, but it makes a massive difference imo and really completes the package.

so for instance, if you say enter supercruise, you may get a reply saying, acknowledged, firing up drive & preparing to engage.

but the thing which makes them so good (imo) is there are multiple recordings (iirc like 2500 in total) so it does not say exactly the same thing all of the time. Some of the packages are more science based, so you can ask your science officer to give you a report of the system you are in.

i like the sound of this !

Soldato
i like the sound of this !
full disclosure, i have one of the old ones, pre oddyssey. i need to pay if i want to upgrade mine to include all of the new stuff on planets surface, however i havent bothered (yet). voice commands make less sense to me when i am on my own and on foot, rather than in my ship anyway. (though i am sure having a voice in my helmet when doing exobiology could be immersive. i dont need to give a voice command however to release my gun from my holster ;) )

my undersanding is the on foot stuff is just as good however, but just make sure you know what content you are getting when you buy a pack.

Last edited:
Soldato
Substantial new paid elements added to an existing game after release :)

'Pay to win' elements (ships guns etc behind a paywall) added to existing game content :mad:

Bit disappointing to see these sorts of shenanigans from Frontier.

I was thinking of getting back into ED (got bored a while back trying navigate to and from Sagittarius 'A' and I did back the kickstarter years ago with the circa £100 to get the collection edition and all the additional paid expansions tier so leaves a bit of a sour taste they're doing a late stage cash grab like this?

Maybe selling cosmetics and expansions wasn't cutting it anymore for a 'live service' game?

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its dead its been dead for years, yet they still went full on pointless with a FPS.

I will never buy a frontier product ever again for what they have done to Elite.

Soldato
They also pretty much doubled the price of every item on the Arx store they other day too. Even for console players. The also accidentally forgot to mention this at any point before they did it.

Back
Top Bottom