The *Official* Eve Online Thread

Soldato
I've not played in years but keep half an eye on the game - it has changed a lot in the last couple of years - lots of activities they've changed to make it more new/PVE player friendly etc. i.e. the whole war dec system, how aggression works and so on.

There is a whole "invasion" event on at the moment so if you are into the game probably a good time to come back but personally I can't justify playing the game any more let alone pay for it with the approach CCP has taken.

I hated when they changed scanning. I remember having to find warp points to drop off probes and scanning was a real skill. Best scan was a fully T2/named navy raven sat in space with no pilot. Thank god a pirate corp member was online that could.

Now you just pop them out, warp them off to overlapping locations and scan away. When you take the skill out of it it ruins it.

Man of Honour
I hated when they changed scanning. I remember having to find warp points to drop off probes and scanning was a real skill. Best scan was a fully T2/named navy raven sat in space with no pilot. Thank god a pirate corp member was online that could.

Now you just pop them out, warp them off to overlapping locations and scan away. When you take the skill out of it it ruins it.

I only know the scanning from approx. 2009 - wasn't a fan of the direction they started taking it with the changes coming around the time I stopped playing in 2015 - I swear the old system was generally less clunky as well as having an actual range of applicable skill.

EDIT: Not sure I'd have liked how it apparently used to be which I assume you are referring to where you had to drop every probe individually.

Soldato
I agree with @Rroff, the original method of scanning where you had to drop individual probes in specific points was unnecessary clunky and time consuming. I disagree it was a ‘skill’ to do, it was easy once you knew how to do it. It wasn’t actually hard and you could work it out spending 20 mins reading how it works. Players (including me) ended up with having to map tens of systems with various bookmarks to use the mechanic instead of playing the game which is stupid. It was just a poorly designed mechanic which was boring, wasn’t intuitive and didn’t encourage players to use it (aka not fun and broken).

The second system was far more intuitive and made better use of the UI. The only part I disagreed with was the concept of recovering the probes. They should have been fully consumable like ammo, once you launched them that should have been it (perhaps made cheaper/smaller to reflect the above). It would have added a logistical element to it.

Soldato
aren't all skills easy when you know how? and knowing how and putting that into practice was a completely different matter. You'd have to prep the whole system beforehand, have saved warp points that you knew would work. It was a skill to do it well and during wars could be a really essential role for tracking down the enemy.

The second system a child could use which to me took away from it, Eve was never meant to be easy but they've dumbed it down so much it became boring.

You call the original not fun and broken I call it hard but satisfying, If it's easy there is no satisfaction in it.

Man of Honour
Difference between things being hard because they need skill and hard because they are needlessly complicated or clunky.

The second system was far more intuitive and made better use of the UI. The only part I disagreed with was the concept of recovering the probes. They should have been fully consumable like ammo, once you launched them that should have been it (perhaps made cheaper/smaller to reflect the above). It would have added a logistical element to it.

While it might have been an interesting mechanics for k-space would have been a nightmare in wormhole space though without making the quantities so high it might as just as well have been infinite anyhow. At times we'd have 3 distinct chain directions with branches off those and people who'd continue on to scan known space and connections from there - sometimes even had 3-5 people out scanning and more than 50 systems on the map.

Soldato
Difference between things being hard because they need skill and hard because they are needlessly complicated or clunky.

This.

It wasn't hard because because it was difficult. It was hard because once you spent 20 mins working out how the mechanic works you had to spend hours upon hours flying around doping bookmarks en each solar system to be able to do it effectively.

It basically favoured those without lives and jobs and it was very unattractive for 'casual' players even though it needed very little SP to do it (further putting off new players). To top it off back then you couldn't share bookmarks easily between characters and accounts which meant you have to then do it on every character you want to have decent scanning abilities. Multiply that up by corp and alliances it suddenly becomes a huge time sink.

Soldato
I can't say it was needlessly complicated or clunky, but then, as I say, I enjoyed it :)

It basically favoured those without lives and jobs and it was very unattractive for 'casual' players even though it needed very little SP to do it (further putting off new players). To top it off back then you couldn't share bookmarks easily between characters and accounts which meant you have to then do it on every character you want to have decent scanning abilities. Multiply that up by corp and alliances it suddenly becomes a huge time sink.

Even now Eve isn't really a 'casual gamer' kind of game...

Spreadsheets upon spreadsheets, lots of website bookmarks for information/markets/maps, trying to stay on top of the latest in-game politics and markets.

Eve is a massive time sink, always has been.

Soldato
I only know the scanning from approx. 2009 - wasn't a fan of the direction they started taking it with the changes coming around the time I stopped playing in 2015 - I swear the old system was generally less clunky as well as having an actual range of applicable skill.

EDIT: Not sure I'd have liked how it apparently used to be which I assume you are referring to where you had to drop every probe individually.

From memory wasn’t your scanning interface always bugged?

Man of Honour
From memory wasn’t your scanning interface always bugged?

Can't remember specifics now I had some random issues around 2010 or 11 IIRC on my main account after they had a database crash until a later major update fixed it where some skills visually appeared to be trained to a certain level but weren't receiving the tight bonus amount.

Soldato
Can't remember specifics now I had some random issues around 2010 or 11 IIRC on my main account after they had a database crash until a later major update fixed it where some skills visually appeared to be trained to a certain level but weren't receiving the tight bonus amount.

I can’t even remember now but your had a big list of reasons why you couldn’t scan in your bio.

Or maybe someone else quoted you on their bio.

Man of Honour
I can’t even remember now but your had a big list of reasons why you couldn’t scan in your bio.

Or maybe someone else quoted you on their bio.

Someone else had it but 90% of it was made up by them - it is one of the reasons I started another account for a scan alt. IIRC certain wormholes I could never get to 100% on my main account despite having high enough skills, fit and positioning probes correctly - was sorted 18 months later or so when they did a big architecture update on the game with a database migration.

Man of Honour
Popped by the see any discussion around the null local thing having just seen it pop up on twitter. That's going to cause huge tears on the official forums. Haha.

Seems to be a 50/50 split from those who actually live in null between "about time" and "I'm unsubscribing all my 20 accounts" posts.

Associate
Is it too late to start Eve now considering how long it's been going. I see you could get a leg up by injecting skills but my wife would kill me if I spent more than the sub as we've just move house. Can I compete OK without doing that and if so where to go and what to do?

Back
Top Bottom