***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Soldato
True story, just felt you was having another dig with your usual anti Android pro Apple posts. Apologies if this wasn't one of them :p

I dont dig at Android, i just retort dig at those who dig at IOS ;)

I've said time and time again, my previous phones were an HTC Hero which broke inside warranty, and couldn't be replaced so they gave me a Wildfire. Which also broke .. so i got free upgraded to a Desire, which also broke, and they (being o2) offered me either a replacement Desire, or £300 credited onto my account to use in phone bills.

I took the £300 credit and moved to my other-halfs 3gs, which is still going strong even though its had wine spilt on it twice now! and dropped into the bath, which supposedly kills all phones but this must be a super phone or something.. its indestructible.
And now a 4s :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I know I am well aware, just have a stroll into the GPU section "going to buy a 580 for my 19" monitor at 1280x1024 with no plans on upgrading to a better one in the future :D

It's just a shame very few people on here actually want to discuss new hardware and possible benefits... Just a bunch of lol boys around here these days :(

Most of the sample camera shots being uploaded are coming out blurry with poor exposure/white balance, some bloggers are saying only 1 in 5 are good.

I could say the usual "omg its got a rubbish camera! SGS2/4S iz da bomb!" or try to understand why*

*It's probably down to the basic zero lag buffering software.
The camera's taking ~15 full frame images every second and chooses the one at the precise time you activated the shutter button/press the screen.
The hardware (or software) just isn't quick enough to adjust the exposure/focus fast enough for that buffering speed.
Also, it seems rather silly they haven't included additional software that selects the best image within that given time frame, the camera app probably has access to 30+ pictures within that time frame your pushing the button.
For example: Nikon's new CX format camera uses a similar buffering technique and has additional 'Smart Photo Selector' software. It uses exposure, focus/sharpness, facial recognition etc to choose the best pic from the buffer. (needs a dual core EXPEED 3 SoC to do the heavy processing, who needs all this power eh? ;))
Qualcomm also integrate Scalado's SDK IP in to snapdragon SoCs (S3 onwards and currently only used by that HTC T-Mobile thinngy phone http://www.pcworld.com/article/241955/smartphone_camera_battle_iphone_4s_vs_the_android_elite.html)

It's probably best they turn off the buffering mode until the software's more mature/suited to the hardware. ...ahh balls to it.

OMG the camerazs rubbish! Who needs exrtaz pwer!! trolololol!!11!

Caporegime
I would settle for it just being as good as what came previously. If they are going to charge a top of the line price, then I don't think it's silly for people to expect that the components are at least as good as the device that the same manufacturer released 6 months previously. The fact is that it has worse components instead, but will more than likely still have a premium price (though I'd be happy if they prove me wrong with the price).

Whilst I agree with what you said there mostly, there are points to the GN that far outweigh the pro points of the GS 2 and IMO qualify the extra cost although if it is priced at over £500 then no way.

This is how I look at deciding between the 2 mobiles, also you have to remember so far the only thing which isn't as good is the GPU really and for the other things like battery, camera etc. we won't know until expert and user reviews (remember the atrix battery? Big ass battery but Iirc the battery life is worse than the GS 2 etc.) the camera could be a good bit better than the GS 2 (and from some reports it seems to be the case that it is), higher MP does not mean better and on this forum you would think that the majority of people would know that this is the case, once again iphone 4=5MP, look at the outcome of it:

Galaxy Nexus:

+ much better screen
+ Pure stock google mobile
- No SD card slot
- not as powerful GPU

For me those 2 plus points are well worth getting the gn over the GS 2, the only bad thing but not a deal breaker is no SD slot, the GPU as long as it is enough for the next 2 years and does everything that most of us use our smartphone for, then no problem there.

The screen is what really does it for me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's just a shame very few people on here actually want to discuss new hardware and possible benefits... Just a bunch of lol boys around here these days :(

I am all up for discussing the future with regards to hardware and what will actually use the full power, however when it comes to a new release and if the mobile doesn't have brand new hardware then a lot of people call it a fail etc. when it really isn't since there is nothing that uses the full potential apart from maybe the very odd rare thing.

If you want to talk about future possibilities with regards to HW and SF then create a new thread, simple :)

Most of the sample camera shots being uploaded are coming out blurry with poor exposure/white balance, some bloggers are saying only 1 in 5 are good.

I could say the usual "omg its got a rubbish camera! SGS2/4S iz da bomb!" or try to understand why*

*It's probably down to the basic zero lag buffering software.
The camera's taking ~15 full frame images every second and chooses the one at the precise time you activated the shutter button/press the screen.
The hardware (or software) just isn't quick enough to adjust the exposure/focus fast enough for that buffering speed.
Also, it seems rather silly they haven't included additional software that selects the best image within that given time frame, the camera app probably has access to 30+ pictures within that time frame your pushing the button.
For example: Nikon's new CX format camera uses a similar buffering technique and has additional 'Smart Photo Selector' software. It uses exposure, focus/sharpness, facial recognition etc to choose the best pic from the buffer. (needs a dual core EXPEED 3 SoC to do the heavy processing, who needs all this power eh? ;))
Qualcomm also integrate Scalado's SDK IP in to snapdragon SoCs (S3 onwards and currently only used by that HTC T-Mobile thinngy phone http://www.pcworld.com/article/241955/smartphone_camera_battle_iphone_4s_vs_the_android_elite.html)

It's probably best they turn off the buffering mode until the software's more mature/suited to the hardware. ...ahh balls to it.

OMG the camerazs rubbish! Who needs exrtaz pwer!! trolololol!!11!

Once again;

Iphone 4 camera, outcome quality ?????

;)

It most likely is a software problem, not a hardware problem and especially not due to the GPU or the "low" MP.......

Last edited:
Soldato
Im disappointed i have to say. Screen looks nice and i quite like the design and ics but the gpu is poor for a top end phone and what is it with samsung and cheapo plastic? It looks like another sgs2 plastic fantastic recycled pop bottles effort.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Have you bothered to read or watch videos on how it is made and how it feels or have you just glossed over the specs and gone off on one?

To me it seems more like the latter!

Soldato
FFS!!!
Will people please STFU about SGII's plastic and iPhone's uber cool glass!!!

I owned an SGII and i currently own a 4S. The SGII did not feel cheap! It did not feel crap! It did not make me feel inadequate! It felt really nice and a quality product!

Comparing it my 4S i actually prefer the construction of the SGII because it was lighter! The 4S is a brick in comparison!

I could put the SGII in my pocket and forget it was there! Loved the lightness!!!

Get a friggin grip!

Associate
For me those 2 plus points are well worth getting the gn over the GS 2, the only bad thing but not a deal breaker is no SD slot, the GPU as long as it is enough for the next 2 years and does everything that most of us use our smartphone for, then no problem there.

The screen is what really does it for me.

And there you have my dilemma, because a large high res screen and ICS are a priority for me too. But keep in mind that the higher res screen is going to tax the GPU more, and in 2 years time that GPU is going to be 4 years old.

Maybe that will be fine, but maybe it wont. I'm not sure what the next two years are going to bring for mobile graphics and it bothers me to get a device that isn't as future proof as it could be - and worse, not as future proof as other devices already on the market.

Caporegime
FFS!!!
Will people please STFU about SGII's plastic and iPhone's uber cool glass!!!

I owned an SGII and i currently own a 4S. The SGII did not feel cheap! It did not feel crap! It did not make me feel inadequate! It felt really nice and a quality product!

Comparing it my 4S i actually prefer the construction of the SGII because it was lighter! The 4S is a brick in comparison!

I could put the SGII in my pocket and forget it was there! Loved the lightness!!!

Get a friggin grip!

Indeed!

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4s-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-drop-test-video-17188427/

Soldato
LOL @ p4u pricing!!!
no way Im going into 2 year contract with over £40 a month !!!!
there is no way for going 2 years with any contract!! [ ok maybe for £10 with 500mins, 500txt and at least 1gb ;) and free mobile of course hehe]

if those prices are right, I will consider sim free mobile and sim only contract.
or, just go for sgs2 as it should be way cheaper ;)

Soldato
I was wondering whether to wait for the nexus or just buy a galaxy s2 a few weeks back, I just bought the S2 and I'm so glad I did, If I had waited I would have only been dissapointed

Back
Top Bottom