*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Soldato

Cheers. eBooks look perfect, Chrome demo was a bit short but I found another video of Chrome beta on another android device and was very impressed tab switching looks very good.

Going to read a few more reviews but this device so far seems ideal for me. :)

AbsenceJam said:
If you want to read books (not comics or textbooks) for any amount of time then grab a Kindle or other e-ink reader. Backlit displays really suck in comparison for reading books.

I disagree, I do a lot of reading on my iPad and have no problems with the backlight, but would prefer the smaller form factor of the Nexus, but not just books, magazines, email, browsing etc so all round e-ink is not what I'm after.

Last edited:
Associate
How does the Tegra 3 in this match up to the Exynos in the S3? Really tempted to get one (the price is too good), would want them to be a similar in performance as possible really.

Man of Honour
OP
How does the Tegra 3 in this match up to the Exynos in the S3? Really tempted to get one (the price is too good), would want them to be a similar in performance as possible really.

The Tegra 3 isn't as good as the Exynos 4212 in the S3 (CPU and GPU wise), but it's perfectly capable. I imagine they'll feel fairly similar in use.

Associate
The Tegra 3 isn't as good as the Exynos 4212 in the S3 (CPU and GPU wise), but it's perfectly capable. I imagine they'll feel fairly similar in use.

Cheers. My S3 can play videos straight from my DSLR. Would like this to be able to do the same.

Associate
The forthcoming Kindle and the well established Galaxy Tab (7.0) series will obviously be fighting for sales with the Nexus. Having owned the Galaxy Tab 7.0 for three months it was a joy to use but was surplus to my requirements hence I why I sold it.
The Nexus has nothing to fear from the Kindle, I imported a Fire for £160 and its exactly the same hardware as the Blackberry Playbook, weak dual core, 7" 1024x600 running an extremely gimped version of Gingerbread with Kindles awful UI over the top.

This is leaps and bounds ahead of the Fire and almost half the cost of the Galaxy Tab 7.7.

Engadget have also confirmed it supports MHL so that means you can get ah MHL adapter for HDMI out, you can pick one up for £5, looks like ill be buying one.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll look for the 16gb Nexus when I'm in Hong Kong :D

Don't really like the £200 price though. Was hoping £160ish for 16gb. It's really just going to be a couch web browser companion for me so £200 is a little hard to swallow.

If the Ainol Aurora II can be found for £100 in Hong Kong when I'm there, I'd definitely just get the cheapo Chinese tablet and flash make it stock ICS.

Soldato
Engadget have also confirmed it supports MHL so that means you can get ah MHL adapter for HDMI out, you can pick one up for £5, looks like ill be buying one.

Engadget said:
Thankfully, ASUS's proprietary connector found on the Transformer tablets doesn't make an appearance here, but neither do we get a dedicated HDMI output, which is a bit of a bummer. (You can, of course, use an MHL adapter if you like.)

I wouldn't call that confirmation, just a rather bad assumption. Google would've listed MHL instead of micro USB in the spec list. They probably haven't included it to save money -MHL chips cost a bit- and push the Q.
Even USB OTG isn't confirmed, it's just all wild speculation until someone tries it out/Google say something.

Back
Top Bottom