**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Ok, Google.

Any ideas on how to force this February update? Is it out generally for everyone now?
Who's your carrier?

Edit: to do it manually.

Join this: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.google.android.gms

Go into apps> see all> find Google Play Services >App details at the bottom> update.

Then check for updates in the normal way. install the Feb update.

To go back to stable GPS visit the link above and unenroll. Then go back into apps > Google Play Services > hit the three dots top right and uninstall updates.

Then it will update to the public version of GPS.

That should be all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, Google.

Who's your carrier?

Edit: to do it manually.

Join this: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.google.android.gms

Go into apps> see all> find Google Play Services >App details at the bottom> update.

Then check for updates in the normal way. install the Feb update.

To go back to stable GPS visit the link above and unenroll. Then go back into apps > Google Play Services > hit the three dots top right and uninstall updates.

Then it will update to the public version of GPS.

That should be all.

Thanks for that. I'm enrolled but I don't get an update option in the app in settings. I'm on 3

Soldato
what thin case would you guys recommend? something with it's own buttons not sank in like the spigen lite case that I have now, it's proving a bit of a pita to press the buttons sometimes. I'm mostly looking for scratch/screen protection not so much the bumps.

I use the ringke fusion clear case, it has the buttons moulded but I've not had an issue. In the reviews a couple of people compared it favourably with your one. For under 10 pounds it's very good value. Only issue I have is it pulls in dust, that dust seems to be able to get into the gaps so have to regularly clean it. For me though I'm more concerned with a break then a scratch. Still would prefer no case and tbh if I wasn't bothered with that then I'd do that, the phone is well designed for no case imho (the XL)

Soldato
Lol at Google. Now been waiting over 2 weeks for them to generate a Home Mini code. Every time I mail them asking for an update they say something like "we're sorry this is overwhelming for you, but the system is broken"

It's not overwhelming, I just want the Home Mini which I am entitled to! With the missus in plaster it would be really handy if she can't get to her phone.

Soldato
During this time did you have a dead phone, blank screen?

Only ask as I clicked on the instal and as I wasn't paying attention the phone now appears dead, but I'm hoping it's just doing its thing for 40 minutes!

No it just had the screen of updating step 1 of 2 then eventually went to 2 of 2 then told me to click to restart and update.

Associate
Cheers for the reply.

Panic over, all back up and running! :)

I think I didn't click on the final step and think it then times out and the phone gets switched off. You then need to keep the power button pressed longer than normal to get it to power up, once powered up it finishes the update.

Soldato
Cheers for the reply.

Panic over, all back up and running! :)

I think I didn't click on the final step and think it then times out and the phone gets switched off. You then need to keep the power button pressed longer than normal to get it to power up, once powered up it finishes the update.

Strange. I drove half way to work and just initiated the restart when I stopped at Starbucks.

Associate
What is the latest version, I have 8.1.0, security patch 5 Feb 2018.

Does it install in the background as I had a prompt this morning 'new software version' and it installed and restarted in under 1 minutes

Permabanned
OP
Is the difference between the 2 and 2XL purely screen size, all other internals are the same

Looking to move to the XL you see but concerned about pocket size..

Thanks

There are two differences: screen size and battery size. The smaller unit was manufactured to Google's specifications by HTC and the larger unit was manufactured by LG.

Back
Top Bottom