**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
RIP Pixel 2. One drop too many (including my son lobbing it the length of the garden on to concrete steps) has killed it.

Smashed glass on the rear. Camera now no longer working and charging port issues. Would cost more to repair reliably than replace ☹️

Soldato
So it has! It also seems to have recorded music from before this functionality was added. Very handy although I do find from time to time it doesn't even attempt to identify the song!

The song has to be in the database in the google music app i believe which updated once a week, nothing is sent to google when identifying.

Associate
Now playing history is now here for the Pixel 2/XL, been waiting for this!

A nice addition!

Does anyone have any idea how long the history will be kept for?

A further enhancement would be if there was a simple way to 'Tag' a song that you like once it has been identified, for example double tapping the song details on the locked screen. Then when you view the history you can clearly see songs that caught your ear/interest. May be that's just me though... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting on ok with my pixel 2 XL
Only issue is I would prefer a headphone jack. Why are phone manufacturers getting rid of these?

Using that port for headphones just adds the chances a small tug at some point and you have possibly moved or starting to rip of the soldering from port to board

At least with 3.5mm jack its quite a secure port. I have always had issues with charge Ports and I try as be careful as possible. But they are most of the time easy to start breaking

Luckily the parts are are about £20 if goes

Other than that mine has been fine

Associate
Objectively over the last year I'd have to say mine has been pretty rubbish overall but yet I still like the thing more than almost any other phone I've had despite the problems! Which shows how good it can be when it wants to work properly. That said, the problems seem to be getting somewhat less frequent as the software matures. I'll be hanging on to it for at least another year. I did think of going for the iPhone XR as I get it free from work but having played with one, it really didn't do it for me, and the camera is definitely a step back.

Associate
I'm glad I love my 2XL because the way google are going it looks like I will be keeping it as long as I kept my Nexus 5 :D
I still get daily comments from friends and family about how good the pictures are and rightly so. That is the sole reason I bought it really.
Also the reason I returned the cheaper but just as fast if not faster One Plus 5T before buying the 2XL, as a father there is nothing worse that taking pictures of the things you love and then viewing them on a TV or pc monitor and seeing how rubbish they really are. :)

Soldato
Just made the jump to the xl3. The xl2 is off to the Mrs. We had two contracts running a year apart. Can't say I would recommend the upgrade to anyone in a XL2 it's pretty much like for like.

Associate
Does anyone's Pixel 2XL wake itself or do other weird things in their pockets.

I've found mine woken and trying to dial or even sometimes unlocked in my pockets.

Rebooted twice in 2 days in my pocket.

I'm wondering whether I'm catching the power button in my pocket, or whether my skin is waking the screen, or my finger is accidentally going on the FP reader, either way quite annoying. I've never had another phone that did this for a long time! Probably since the likes of the Nokia dumb phones!

Soldato

I've found mine woken and trying to dial or even sometimes unlocked in my pockets.

I'm wondering whether I'm catching the power button in my pocket, or whether my skin is waking the screen, or my finger is accidentally going on the FP reader, either way quite annoying. I've never had another phone that did this for a long time! Probably since the likes of the Nokia dumb phones!
My 2XL did that as well, not too often but more often than I'd like. I couldn't figure out why it was happening. But I always got a bad feeling I'd dialled someone or sent a jumbled up text. Not an issue now as it's sold and I'm moving on with a 6T.

Soldato

Yeah, mine was going through my contacts sending emails to people the other week. Of course I could have forgotten to lock it when I put it in my pocket I guess...

Associate
Yeah, mine was going through my contacts sending emails to people the other week. Of course I could have forgotten to lock it when I put it in my pocket I guess...

Yeah it's one of those where you can suspect a problem with the phone but equally it could be "user error" but clearly it's not just me it's happening to so....

Back
Top Bottom