**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
It’s their differentiator I doubt they will be removing it. I also understand they will be releasing a flat version which is what I want.

The next logical step will be hiding the earpiece and front facing cameras behind the actual screen if that may be possible. I mean it will be at some point. Just when really.

I miss the days where phones had flat edges (think iPhone 5/SE)

Soldato
This is where Google marketing fails. Notch is a really bad name to use as it has negative connotations. You'll see Apple never ever refers to a notch in their phone.
That's because apple see it as a design compromise (which in their case it is) and they actively try and hide it's existence. See current iPhone adverts with the wallpaper they use.

In android world it's become a sad trend due to most manufacturers trying to be apple wannabes (excluding Samsung thankfully). Seeing Google stoop to this level is really quite surprising.

Soldato
That's because apple see it as a design compromise (which in their case it is) and they actively try and hide it's existence. See current iPhone adverts with the wallpaper they use.

In android world it's become a sad trend due to most manufacturers trying to be apple wannabes (excluding Samsung thankfully). Seeing Google stoop to this level is really quite surprising.

Yep, I find it incredible that Google with all their trillions and weight have followed a trend that knowone really wants. As others have said it was pointless doing a notch when the screen is not end to end.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Sigh, I can't stand Android in any form except stock and really want the Pixel 3 but the prices to me are just too far out there. I managed to get my 6P for £30 a month not long after it came out and for a 2 year contract that was great but only 2GB data. But looking at about £56 a montb for ~4GB data and a 3XL (and not much less for the 3). Nah!

I'm stuck on Oreo but my 6P still serves its purpose well enough. There's just not much new to make that kind of money worth an upgrade.

Are you an Android PR representative or something?

The notch offers precisely nothing. Basically no apps show you more content and instead just make it one colour so all you have is a ridiculously tall status bar. Heck even Google's own apps do this!

The notch exists on the iPhone because it was the only way for Apple to stretch the display to the edges, top and bottom. You'll notice the iPhone XS has no bottom chin. Yet the Pixel does rendering the notch on it pointless. They could move the screen down a bit and achieve exactly the same screen size.

Samsung are the only Android OEM to do it properly. And Google should do better than just copy what Huawei does.

What? I hate the notch too, but don't go saying it offers nothing. Looking at my xl 2 right now, the centre of the notifications is blank with content in the sides, so if that was pushed up the phone, I'd have more space.

I hate the notch on this, way too big, and I hate edge to edge too, I think a small chin and small for head like the Samsung phones is spot on

Soldato
As a Pixel 2 XL owner, I just can't see any reason to switch to the P3XL right now. I fully expect the P3XL to be available for around £550 in a month or 2, but even then I'm not convinced it would be worth my while switching - what's the point?

I'm disappointed that Google didn't release a Pixel Watch, it's one line they seem to be steering well clear of but wearables are becoming more popular are they not? Anyway, it'll be a Huawei Watch for me now so not like I have no options.

I was almost disappointed to see the Slate has been released as I have just bought a Samsung Tab S4 and would have been all over a Pixel tablet, but the cost for a decent spec model has made it much of a muchness for me. I hope the slate sells well as I may upgrade to one in a year or two. It's really great to see Google invest in the tablet market as I always need to have one and I hate iPads.

All in all, a wee bit of a poor year in terms of upgrades for a Pixel fan... but definitely some moves in the right direction and great to see the camera is still a big focus for Google as it's been tremendous since the original Pixel release.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato

Spot on post.

My understanding is that this set of Pixels are the last ones that are made by the non-HTC inherited team at Google. So from the 4 and onwards a new set of engineers will be working on the Pixel - hopefully this means no notch.

With the amount of resources Google has, they really should be able to do what Samsung does at least.

Soldato
Sigh, I can't stand Android in any form except stock and really want the Pixel 3 but the prices to me are just too far out there. I managed to get my 6P for £30 a month not long after it came out and for a 2 year contract that was great but only 2GB data. But looking at about £56 a montb for ~4GB data and a 3XL (and not much less for the 3). Nah!

I'm stuck on Oreo but my 6P still serves its purpose well enough. There's just not much new to make that kind of money worth an upgrade.

I can get you 20% discount at EE if that helps you ?

Soldato
Well I've just been browsing for the reg pixel 3 and found it at 43 a month 50gb data O2 contract 24 months no Upfront phone cost quite a Bargain if you ask me after looking on the carriers website. Could have had cashback had i remembered 5 minutes ago. Damn.

Soldato
Well I've just been browsing for the reg pixel 3 and found it at 43 a month 50gb data O2 contract 24 months no Upfront phone cost quite a Bargain if you ask me after looking on the carriers website. Could have had cashback had i remembered 5 minutes ago. Damn.

£12 a month for 50gb is a pretty respectable offer

hang on, if its this offer it's 100gb for £49 a month

https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/o2-contract-mobile-phones/google-pixel-3-64gb-just-black

juggling the various memory sizes and non-xl to xl, you can get some very tasty deals

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
What? I hate the notch too, but don't go saying it offers nothing. Looking at my xl 2 right now, the centre of the notifications is blank with content in the sides, so if that was pushed up the phone, I'd have more space.

I hate the notch on this, way too big, and I hate edge to edge too, I think a small chin and small for head like the Samsung phones is spot on

That is because Google decided to do that in readiness for the notch, (Oreo update if memory serves) you now get that daft dot to say you have more notifications rather than just showing you. THAT is a waste of space. ;)

I remember when notifications would go all the way over to the clock.

Soldato
£12 a month for 50gb is a pretty respectable offer

hang on, if its this offer it's 100gb for £49 a month

https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/o2-contract-mobile-phones/google-pixel-3-64gb-just-black

juggling the various memory sizes and non-xl to xl, you can get some very tasty deals
It was however I scrolled down and there was a 25gb packaged doubled data to 50gb for 43 a month solid no Upfront and no cashback redemption. I've just gone back on to look and the offer I got has now been removed the cheapest is now £48 I think they made an error and the offer I got should have had a cashback redemption.

Back
Top Bottom