**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
As predicted, sub par hardware and priced up there with the big boys. I'd love to see the sales of these devices compared to Samsung and other androids.

Every release they're behind the others yet charge the same :/

Soldato
Every release they're behind the others yet charge the same :/

Sweeping statement. Who else has Soli? Fastest face unlock available. Likely the best stills camera on a smartphone. Stock Android. They might not be things you're interested in, but 'behind others' is a bit of a generalisation that isn't exactly true.

I got my times wrong and cancelled my order and placed again. Then realise I'd ordered 5:20pm the first time! Oh well, only gone back a day and there's a good chance I can't collect it until the 31st anyway.

Man of Honour
The max storage of 128GB and the base storage of 64GB is absolutely ridiculous. Why are Google always 1-2 years behind in the component specs dept all the time? Also the 64GB is priced what the S10e was at launch whilst offering fewer usable features like half the storage, no expansion, smaller battery etc.

I would really like a regular Pixel 4,, but the specs vs that price are an absolute no. I guess I'll be using the Pixel 4 camera port once it's out for the astrophotography stuff.

Also £100 extra for 64GB more storage? Since when has storage cost that much!!!

Can't win! We now have a really nice looking Pixel phone.... let down by the hardware vs price.

Edit*
The gestures are gimmicks. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding nobody. Google aren't the first to use them, LG and others had them years ago and look how well utilised all of them were. Fast face unlock is great, but useless if you're wearing a scarf/coat with collar that covers your lower face and so on. So you still have to enter your code which ends up being slower than a FP sensor that takes milliseconds.

The camera side of things looks great but as it's 90% software even as the guy stated on stage, the ported camera apps will be used by other brand users just fine like we do now with the previous port. I am interested in how they tackle the 19 stops of dynamic range loss when shooting a night sight scene with a full moon in the frame. That's something he said to watch this space for and is something really useful and will be used by literally everyone who uses their phone camera at night (or wants to but can't because of limitations currently).

The annoying part is that he said they don't see any point in an ultra wide angle lens because they feel a telephoto lens offers more scope. This is complete false. AN UWA lens offers far more scope for creativity considering he then told everyone to go and be creative with the Pixel 4 camera.

Samsung's use of the UWA lens is two-fold. One to capture much more in a scene for stills, and two to be used in video for super steady shot for EIS which is really good. Since Google didn't mention anything about video recording at all, we can expect the video side of things to still be garbage.

Such a shame.

Last edited:
Associate
The Pixel 3XL is £40 more expensive than the newer 4XL on Google store. :p

I think I might be owning an iPhone for the first time, very soon.

Yep me too. My Pixel has been steadily failing and I’ve been ‘forced’ to borrow an iPhone XR for now. I’m very impressed to be honest. Battery life, smoothness, FaceID, overall stability and quality of apps is first rate. Really shows me what I’ve been missing. OK they are expensive, but I could probably still sell an iPhone X for £400ish now whereas I’ll be lucky to get £120 for a working Pixel 2XL, depreciation is a bit of a leveller at the end of the day.

Caporegime
Another utterly dull conference with very little new information and the most boring, uninteresting woman speaker I've ever heard in my life. If she's not on suicide watch I'll be surprised.

Don't think either Apple or Google have covered themselves in glory this year.

Soldato
Don't think either Apple or Google have covered themselves in glory this year.

Apple have done their usual trick of minimal upgrading and leaving the big stuff for a future device, but the new iPhones are still desirable and will sell bucketloads.

The Pixel 4 is just another wasted opportunity. An okay Android phone in a sea of good Android phones, with a few “crazy” Google gimmicks thrown in.

Soldato
The most underwhelming phone release in a long time. - Average specs, over hyped features, a presentation full of marketing BS and a high cost :rolleyes:

I'm more impressed by the Realme X2 Pro phone. All the features of the Pixel 4 but with a wide angle camera, more storage and only £349.

Soldato
Yeah small storage options are because Google want you to consume all their cloud services. I mean, who doesn't want YouTube Music? :p

I think pricing + incentives with the standard 4 should be good enough - but the XL premium seems high.
With regards to the specs, Google seem to be going after the iPhone market directly wanting some of the typical apple plebs where spec doesn't matter so much but user experience and 'cool' factor does.

Soldato
Why on earth do Google always offer somewhat subpar hardware specs relative to the competition? The Pixel 4 should have had the snapdragon 855+ and 8GB ram, Oneplus are a much smaller company and they can offer those specs, so why not Google? I also find the lack of a wide-angle lens a really odd choice. Their argument seems to be that they believe people will get more use out of the telephoto lens and they wanted to build on their smart zoom features, but personally I'm a big fan of the wide-angle on my S10 and it's something I genuinely use a fair bit.

Back
Top Bottom