**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
I was going back and forth on this one to replace my S10+, since I'm off on honeymoon shortly and want to take better pics than the S10+ can manage. However, the negatives just seem to keep piling up.
  • Can't use the new assistant if I use my GSuite account on the phone - jeez, thanks for that Google, it's my main email address
  • Can't use the new assistant if I want to use Back/Home/Recents navigation - fab, another great move
  • Can't use Soli anywhere it hasn't been approved globally. I understand the regulatory reasons for this but still...
  • Only 64GB storage - on their top end phone, really? My sister's £315 Pixel 3a has the same amount!
  • Face Unlock won't work with a lot of apps until they're updated, and this is Android, so it'll be months before that happens
  • Refresh rate limited to 60hz at most brightness levels :rolleyes:
  • No more unlimited original quality storage
  • No dual sim
  • No ultrawide - silly decision
  • Battery on the small side - again, silly
  • Price is too high - but it'll be price cut in a month or three. Why Google, WHY?? Why not launch the phone at a cheaper price in the first place?
I don't want to hate on the phone because I'm a total Android fanboy. But seeing this go up against what Google seems to want to compete with - the latest iPhones - is like watching your team get pounded in the local derby. It's just plain frustrating that they haven't done a better job.

Anyway, hope anyone who is getting one enjoys it. I guess I'm just feeling particularly salty today.

I feel your pain, although some issues can probably be worked around.

Assistant: Is that true about it not working on the 3-button nav? If so, pretty silly. Mind, I'm sure I read the new assistant was actually USA only for now (may be mistaken).
Soli: Overhyped
Storage: Can't really argue
Face Unlock: Can't really argue, will probably be ready for the big time with the Pixel 5 :)
Refresh Rate: Can be locked to 90Hz in developer options
No unlimited original storage: Can't see the big deal, even the normal option covers anything up to around 15 mpx doesn't it?
Dual SIM: Thought it had an e-SIM? That's the way most phones are going, if so, non-issue, as you technically get the ability
Ultrawide: Yes that is annoying, but I've got decent results with my 2XL by using Photosphere. Not ideal, but possible, and most phones I've read about say the UW lens isn't as good quality as the main lens anyway
Battery: No argument there, the XL is the only model to consider IMO
Price: Yes its high but just wait another month :p

Gosh I sound like I'm defending it! I probably wont buy one either, but if the price was right (i.e. MUCH lower) then I would consider it.... and I think it will happen eventually as it's getting slated everywhere! It's not the release people hoped for but then it's probably not as bad as it's being painted either.

Also, with the bugs, I can't remember a single Google phone that hasn't been riddled on release.

Soldato
I still can't see where the 90Hz hype comes from having tried it on my 7 Pro, it was unnoticeable to me even when trying to notice it.

First time I tried a 7 Pro, I was very impressed by the smoothness. The second time, not so much, though I didn't have an extensive play. Maybe I was looking a something that didn't show it off at its best.

Either way, I've got an 120hz screen attached to my home PC and it's amazing. The smoothness compared to my second 60hz monitor is incredible.

Soldato
I was going back and forth on this one to replace my S10+, since I'm off on honeymoon shortly and want to take better pics than the S10+ can manage. However, the negatives just seem to keep piling up.
  • Can't use the new assistant if I use my GSuite account on the phone - jeez, thanks for that Google, it's my main email address
  • Can't use the new assistant if I want to use Back/Home/Recents navigation - fab, another great move
  • Can't use Soli anywhere it hasn't been approved globally. I understand the regulatory reasons for this but still...
  • Only 64GB storage - on their top end phone, really? My sister's £315 Pixel 3a has the same amount!
  • Face Unlock won't work with a lot of apps until they're updated, and this is Android, so it'll be months before that happens
  • Refresh rate limited to 60hz at most brightness levels :rolleyes:
  • No more unlimited original quality storage
  • No dual sim
  • No ultrawide - silly decision
  • Battery on the small side - again, silly
  • Price is too high - but it'll be price cut in a month or three. Why Google, WHY?? Why not launch the phone at a cheaper price in the first place?
I don't want to hate on the phone because I'm a total Android fanboy. But seeing this go up against what Google seems to want to compete with - the latest iPhones - is like watching your team get pounded in the local derby. It's just plain frustrating that they haven't done a better job.

Anyway, hope anyone who is getting one enjoys it. I guess I'm just feeling particularly salty today.

Man your focusing on the neagtives ... Some of these are really mute points. Storage size, dual sim, battery is fine on XL.

Also fix for refresh rate when brightness is under 75% coming.

Soldato
Ha ha banter. Google some troll back because that onePlus has a ***** camera :D
Its not all about camera imo.

Have to look at the overall package and OP is doing a better job. Still no 8gb, no 855+ even when phones came out before the Pixel 4 had this SoC.

Google taking the consumers for mugs

Soldato

Have to look at the overall package and OP is doing a better job. Still no 8gb, no 855+ even when phones came out before the Pixel 4 had this SoC.

As long as you’re not bothered by the camera then yeah sure.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
But it runs at 60Hz and it still has rubbish battery life...

One of the videos I watched someone disabled the high refresh rate and it made basically no difference to battery life.

Link? Because everything I've seen so far suggests otherwise.

I have a 16 month old daughter. So for me camera is the priority.

If the camera on the OP7T matched the Pixel I'd have been all over it already. Sadly every OP device I've tried I've been disappointed by he camera in one way or another. :(

Maybe I've been spoilt by the Pixel and now nothing can match it, I dunno. Just no other phone camera seems to take pictures like the Pixel's do.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Pixel fan, I really want the 4XL. But the price along with the issues is got means it is making it very difficult for me to press the button on it.

Back
Top Bottom