***The Official Gran Turismo 5 Thread***

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Anti, V_R, check trust, not sure if posting here is against OcUK T&C's!

Just looking around at editions (Feel much better about it knowing I won't be using the PS3 pad!) and the collector's edition is about the most I'm willing to spend @ £60, but is there no option of 2 of the carbon fibre race cars? I thought initial press releases said the CE would get 2 of the 8 and the "Ultimate" edition would have al 8? Maybe I'm missing something? All I can see is the chromeline cars which don't look worth an extra £20! :(

Nice one, cheers. :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I have one small gripe about this game thus far and that is its 'ported' cars, fully interiored cars and DLC. It seems they have missed a trick here in trying to cram in all the cars old and new but not being able to spend the time in fully modelling and texturing all of them wheras DLC would have been ideal for this. It just feels odd to me that they haven't mentioned DLC and they have gone this route of premium cars in the shipped game. It's great they are putting them in, but I feel they could have made a just as fully featured and balanced game with half the cars fully featured with DLC to add in some popular favourites and other things. I think the car packs in Forza worked very well for them and with GTs attention to detail it could work for Poly too. So far we're only seeing the premium stuff and I think this will be a big downside/disappointment for me when my favourite car may be a half done port from GT4 and might not sound or handle like i expect, as well as look poorer :(

That said, it might be fine and I'm just nit picking. I just hope it doesn't take anything away from the game.

Also, has anyone seen or read about the Veyron being in the game? I don't like the Veyron, but it is an iconic car of our era and it would be a shame for it to not make the cut.

I hope to get a PS3 and this game for release but might end up getting for Xmas instead. Damned other half wanting to buy me a PS3 for xmas and her bday being a day after release!

Soldato
The cars run the same physics engine so it doesnt matter if the model started on GT4 its handling would be the same as if it were a premium. KY isnt a fan of DLC.

The veyron was in GT PSP and is pretty much guaranteed for GT5.

Soldato
It would be nice if we had the full list of Premium cars.
At least this way we could see what popular cars were not included.

For those that want to play using the standard tarmac view, then it wont make any difference to the gameplay if they are driving standard or premium.

The recent weather effects have shown that cockpit view is going to suffer from reduced visibility making it harder for a player. I can see people not using cockpit view more than actually using it. Although I agree from a sim aspect it is nice to have it with facetracking and should make the game more challenging and more authenic. The damage system is actually different for standard/premium cars but at least standard cars will have damage also.

Veyron is in and has the working rear wing, already are videos about showing it in action.

Soldato
It would be nice if we had the full list of Premium cars.
At least this way we could see what popular cars were not included.

I was wondering this a while back, with the 1000 cars there are going to be at least several different versions of the same car not including the different models. So there may be say 8 imprezas from different models and versions 2 of the most famous would be premium the rest standard. If this was used for many of the more popular cars ie 3 out of the 24 or so skylines ended up premium etc then im sure some of the less known cars could end up premium. I expect all the exotic cars to end up premium, well at least one from each type again. Until the game is in out i dont spose we will find out TBH.

Caporegime
The recent weather effects have shown that cockpit view is going to suffer from reduced visibility making it harder for a player. I can see people not using cockpit view more than actually using it. Although I agree from a sim aspect it is nice to have it with facetracking and should make the game more challenging and more authenic. The damage system is actually different for standard/premium cars but at least standard cars will have damage also.

thing is the cockpit has lesser viewing distanc and area than a non cockpit view anyway, but with a wheel it feels better and for me, it helps whent eh AI driver moves his hand off the wheel next to the gear stick giving me an indication that it might be nearly time to upshift

(i never played manual gears before i got my DF GT, ever, and i play GT since GT1.)

in the outside views etc i find myself not upshifting at the right time because aurally you cant tell if you are about to hit the limiter and its difficult to watch the thin revs bar at the bottom of the screen whilst driving.

at least inside (as long as the car isnt paddles) the driver takes his hand off the wheel and puts it near the stick 'ready' to shift, giving me an inclanation that i should be ready to move up a gear. ive started sticking to the NSX R because the red line goes right into the 9000s so even if im a bit tardy i dont just stop accelerating!

Soldato
thing is the cockpit has lesser viewing distanc and area than a non cockpit view anyway, but with a wheel it feels better and for me, it helps whent eh AI driver moves his hand off the wheel next to the gear stick giving me an indication that it might be nearly time to upshift

(i never played manual gears before i got my DF GT, ever, and i play GT since GT1.)

in the outside views etc i find myself not upshifting at the right time because aurally you cant tell if you are about to hit the limiter and its difficult to watch the thin revs bar at the bottom of the screen whilst driving.

at least inside (as long as the car isnt paddles) the driver takes his hand off the wheel and puts it near the stick 'ready' to shift, giving me an inclanation that i should be ready to move up a gear. ive started sticking to the NSX R because the red line goes right into the 9000s so even if im a bit tardy i dont just stop accelerating!

Some players find using headphones helps, but many I know learn to change gear just by two things, the engine tone and the max speed per gear for a particular car. Having the visual aid of the drivers hand can help yes. Although do take into account that some cars peak in power actually before the full redline limit,eg 8700 rpm rather than the 9000 rpm.

Soldato

I take it you don't drive in real life then?

If you do, god help us all.:(

Caporegime
I take it you don't drive in real life then?

If you do, god help us all.:(

of course i do. except in a real car when you hit the limiter (and my car has an 8250 limiter and a low ratio 6 speed box so its not a boggo car im talking about here) it bounces and makes u feel like you just maxed out an elastic band. and almost like you are going backwards. not to mention my car sounds like a banshee so i know when to shift.

also in real life im not doing flying laps of suzuka trying to stay on the circuit and over take cpu cars that are determined to ram me off the racing line?

IN GT5P at least it is not so obvious that you have hit the limit and as i say im not used to changing gear manually on it, plus im not used to driving 400bhp ferraris quite obviously.

so i dont really understand how your comment translates into my real world driving?

Mr Latte.

Some players find using headphones helps, but many I know learn to change gear just by two things, the engine tone and the max speed per gear for a particular car. Having the visual aid of the drivers hand can help yes. Although do take into account that some cars peak in power actually before the full redline limit,eg 8700 rpm rather than the 9000 rpm.

yea headphones prob would help. but as ive said just above, because ive never done manual before on my GT games.

and like i said, outside of the cockpit view the engine tone is muffled somewhat and yes whilst i try to use engine tone to help me know when to shift, sometimes on some cars its not immediately obvious and when you are concentrating on your line, braking or stopping some mad oversteer then you can just miss it.

honestly, id love a semi auto mode on GT so that it controls my gears automatically but that i could step in, for say, Eiger Norwand and drop a gear lower and hold it for some of the ultra tight hairpins. but then not have to worry so much about upshifting on the up coming straight.

and as for peak power, yes i know what you mean about it being below the limiter, however with the engine being a high RPM engine, if i shift at say 9000 instead of 8600, then it drops in the next gear by roughly 400 revs less, so infact i have lost out slghtly on the one hand but as im closer to peak power for the next gear, the performance difference over a medium straight is negligible. if im going uphil for instance, ill hold the low gear longer so that on my upshift i will be further up the revs and closer again to peak power/.

Back
Top Bottom