***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
Ok, so I have my bill of materials needed, just need to cost it up the tube amp.

I managed to get a simplified design that gives me tube rectification (ez81) but allows a switch to solid state. I can cery a amall number of components to tune after I have the real things in my hands (and not a data sheet and simulator).

I have also found a reactive load schematic that mimics the celestion creamback g12m-65 8 ohm and close to the vintage 30 one this is built I’ll get a g12m-65 but first the amp.
The original schematic supports sinking 100-200W!

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry, more Cliffs of Dover....forgot about this one...**** sake!

e: slash and steven tyler with a harmonica yeeha...not so sure about Brian Johnson, making me feel old :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Talking to a comms lady at work yesterday.. she was asking how my guitar got on.. so I sent a photo and got into the geeky technical details after she kept asking more in-depth questions. She then sends a video of son metalling up Hotel California with a Jackson Flying V and a Marshall amp during a family pub gig with his school band. \m/

Last edited:
Associate
Since I took up the bass in the new year and got a Short Scale, I've been enjoying it immensely. I picked up a long scale (34") Jazz a week ago. It's Harley Benton JB-75 NA. It is lovely, but she is a bit hefty on the weight side. Got myself a nice chunky strap and now getting to grips with it.

sFrsMFih.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
All basses feel hefty, give it 3months of playing daily and it’ll feel natural.

I had the same with the 28.625” scale guitar. It felt big’n’heavy initially but now it feels like home. It still is heavy at 4.5kg without hardware :D

Always fancied a stingray but for now the next thing is the amp.

Last edited:
Soldato
The funny part is swapping from Bass to Guitar or the other way around and temporarily feeling like a freaking giant playing strands of hair or grappling with this gigantic monster strung with suspension bridge cables

Soldato
So just ordering the bits for the new amp :D I decided in the end to go for a 16 ohm G12M-65 in the mix and I'll model the reactive load at a later date once I have it built.

I can see a couple of gotchas for the new amp - a 7 string has a lower frequency requirement than the little 100Hz-30kHz (-3dB at 8ohm) output transformer will provide so it will sound a little brighter than using an 8 ohm speaker. The 16 ohm is the 'reference' so I can tune the amp over time to make better use of the speaker.
I will also have provision for the addition of a switch to allow pass-through, diode clipping or BJT clipping (symmetrical clipping).

Soldato
The funny part is swapping from Bass to Guitar or the other way around and temporarily feeling like a freaking giant playing strands of hair or grappling with this gigantic monster strung with suspension bridge cables

Yeah, I can't go near my bass anymore due to arthritis. Even my SG set up with heavy gauge strings for slide feels like cheese wire. I stick to the Strat fitted with light gauge most of the time. I've not been able to play even the Strat much recently, so have lost years of callouses and I'm trying to build them back up. I'd forgotten just how much it hurts on soft finger tips!

Soldato
e7NwuEv.jpeg

:D

So
* Arrived .. Speaker and three 12ax7 from hotrox UK
* Arrived .. Resistors and capacitors from Mouser all the way from Texas
* Arriving tomorrow I hope .. the EF80 pentodes for the output section
* Arriving thursday/friday .. the main transformers, pots, wires, chassis, turret board, tube sockets etc from TubeTown in Germany

However I can't play with this all this weekend :/

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not 100% but I'm looking at a new SE CE-24 if the wife allows it :)
I don't want to go more than that but I would do second hand around the same price if you recommend something better.
There's a bloke near me selling a Tremonti for £450.

Well...depends what you want.

Single cut, heavier body then it's the Tremonti. Les Paul copy basically.
Double cut, light body then it's the Custom 24.

Something in between would be the SE 594. I would at least give that a try in the shop. If you can find one, a used PRS S2 594? They were selling them end of year for like £1k (down from £1299). New ones now start at £1599 now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom