***The Official Guitar Thread***

Dup

Dup

Soldato
For a while I've been looking at Squiers to accompany my acoustic for under £100 used locally. I've been wanting a tatty solid wood model to modify/restore however it seems nobody is selling them in anything but half decent condition.

Instead I have my eye on a couple nice HSS models while at the £100 mark in seemingly great condition however unsure the pickup config would suit.

I would likely much prefer cleaner sounds and like the idea of a more traditional strat style but does it *really* matter? I'm happy to wait for that basket case I desire, half the fun for me will be making it my own, but then feel owning a good one will give me a better idea for how they should feel and play.

EDIT: Scratch all that, picking up a 2014 Indonesian Squier Affinity (SSS) locally for £50 (was sold new 12 months ago). Comes with the usually awful Frontman amp and other starter kit stuff but will do me until I get an interface for the computer. Just needs some new strings. Boring black but it's the sound and playability that matters the most at this point. When I inevitably get bored I'll maybe strip it and make it my own but it looks to be in new condition.

EDIT 2: I should pay closer attention next time... It was a 3/4, they didn't know. Ah well, back to stalking Facebook marketplace.

I find myself going down the rabbit hole of guitars often but never put my money where my mouth is so making myself get on with it this time! :D

In other news, few years ago I had an Ibanez Blazer BL300, looked them up. I sold it for a lot less than they're seemingly going for today. Horrible feeling but needed to at the time and I never really got to learn to play properly then. Gutted

Last edited:
Associate
20191116-104312.jpg

Pre-xmas setup. Played both Guitar and Bass years ago, kept on occasionally messing about with guitars but sold my bass. Picked this Fender Player Jazz up in Black Friday sales this year.Bass was always something I enjoyed that bit more, so I'm effectively re-teaching myself from first principles now, learning as many varied techniques as I can to incorporate.

The Guitar is a 2016 Les Paul Studio, absolute bargain for what you got, paid sub-£500 new for a USA made Gibson that, in my eyes, looks pretty sharp too. Sounds every bit like a Gibson, albeit with Burstbucker pro humbuckers rather than the 490/498t combo used in the Standards. But, honestly, for less than half the price of a standard it has slightly different pickups, a simgle ply pickguard, no binding and a satin finish. Everything else is as you'd expect from a US made guitar.

Amp is a wee Blackstar HT1-R, goes very nicely with the Gibson for playing at home or quieter jam sessions. Doubt it'd do gigs well, but in fairness it can be hooked up to a cab.

And the Christmas addition...

20191230-153303.jpg

Nice to have a decent amp for bass again! tc electronic BAM200 head and 208 matched cab. Has plenty of low end despite the 8" drivers (enough for my uses anyway), very portable and plenty loud enough. Would be quite comfortable gigging small venues with it alone, but the head also has a DI out.

Caporegime
20191116-104312.jpg

Pre-xmas setup. Played both Guitar and Bass years ago, kept on occasionally messing about with guitars but sold my bass. Picked this Fender Player Jazz up in Black Friday sales this year.Bass was always something I enjoyed that bit more, so I'm effectively re-teaching myself from first principles now, learning as many varied techniques as I can to incorporate.

The Guitar is a 2016 Les Paul Studio, absolute bargain for what you got, paid sub-£500 new for a USA made Gibson that, in my eyes, looks pretty sharp too. Sounds every bit like a Gibson, albeit with Burstbucker pro humbuckers rather than the 490/498t combo used in the Standards. But, honestly, for less than half the price of a standard it has slightly different pickups, a simgle ply pickguard, no binding and a satin finish. Everything else is as you'd expect from a US made guitar.

Amp is a wee Blackstar HT1-R, goes very nicely with the Gibson for playing at home or quieter jam sessions. Doubt it'd do gigs well, but in fairness it can be hooked up to a cab.

And the Christmas addition...

20191230-153303.jpg

Nice to have a decent amp for bass again! tc electronic BAM200 head and 208 matched cab. Has plenty of low end despite the 8" drivers (enough for my uses anyway), very portable and plenty loud enough. Would be quite comfortable gigging small venues with it alone, but the head also has a DI out.

how much did you pay for the Fender Player Jazz?

What are your thoughts on it?
Cheers

Associate
how much did you pay for the Fender Player Jazz?

What are your thoughts on it?
Cheers

It was 528, listed at 580 plus 10% off for Black Friday. Very happy with the feel of it. Just changed the strings over to DR Hi Beams and gave it a setup and it feels so easy to play now. The modern C neck carve is perfect for me and the tones it can produce have a huge spread as you'd expect from a Jazz Bass.

Fit and finish is close to USA Fenders I've played in the past, the odd fret could probably do with a bit more end filing but nothing uncomfortable at all, a couple of fret slots look to be cut a fraction deep but again this is purely nitpicking. I've played American Standards that needed more work than this Mexican in the past.

Honestly I was looking at both this Player series, the Mexican Roadworn and the American Pro, this one felt on the same level as both the more expensive models, so I really saw no reason to go for them, in terms of value at least. The pro was a bit nicer, don't get me wrong, but not and extra £500 nicer.

To be honest, I was close to grabbing a Squier Classic Vibe but I really, really dislike gloss lacquer necks. Other than that, the quality and feel was right up there with the Fenders. Even since I first played in 2007 the quality of Squier has come on hugely.

Caporegime
It was 528, listed at 580 plus 10% off for Black Friday. Very happy with the feel of it. Just changed the strings over to DR Hi Beams and gave it a setup and it feels so easy to play now. The modern C neck carve is perfect for me and the tones it can produce have a huge spread as you'd expect from a Jazz Bass.

Fit and finish is close to USA Fenders I've played in the past, the odd fret could probably do with a bit more end filing but nothing uncomfortable at all, a couple of fret slots look to be cut a fraction deep but again this is purely nitpicking. I've played American Standards that needed more work than this Mexican in the past.

ok cool, that’s a damn good price...I’m eyeing up a Same colour Precision bass but it’s £589

Dup

Dup

Soldato
After my long post above, the £50 Squier starter kit was sadly a 3/4 guitar. No obvious markings so my fault for not paying closer attention before turning up. Owners didn't know either but thankfully it was very local :)

Now to keep a look out for something else. Want a traditional strat with a decent solid wood body for clean tones (RHCP etc) so I can practice more quiently than with my acoustic. Seems nobody really sells tatty Squiers locally at the moment, at least for a relative price. There's some nice looking ones around the £100 mark which I may opt for and leave as-is.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Love that blue but agree, a white/light pick guard and pups would be nicer imo.

Is playing/learning a bass satisfying solo or does it need absolute dedication to the craft to stay interested?

Caporegime
Tasty, albeit I think a lighter pickguard is nicer on a blue bass personally. Mint green guard on LPB is stunning.

Good versatility having a PJ setup too.

I like the black...but I’ve changed pickguard on my American Deluxe strat so I’ll prob swap for a change when I experiment with different strings etc...

I changed my pickguard on my Deluxe Strat to Black :p

WU4unV4.jpg

Love that blue but agree, a white/light pick guard and pups would be nicer imo.

Is playing/learning a bass satisfying solo or does it need absolute dedication to the craft to stay interested?

Depends what you want to achieve...I’m a guitar player...but I’ve been playing bass alongside guitar since I started...I have a 1972 Musicmaster Bass but the one pickup is limiting when recording...hence why I thought the PJ config on the player would cover more bases.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Speaking of black pickguards, after yesterdays disappointment I found this Squier Standard for sale locally for a reasonable price:

Cqb9Gmpl.jpg

Only this picture sadly, hoping for a response as it's quite a bit different to others for sale at the moment and still SSS config (hate sunburst/tobacco finishes). Looks like it's been stood a while but love the painted headstock and satin finish.

Caporegime
Speaking of black pickguards, after yesterdays disappointment I found this Squier Standard for sale locally for a reasonable price:

Cqb9Gmpl.jpg

Only this picture sadly, hoping for a response as it's quite a bit different to others for sale at the moment and still SSS config (hate sunburst/tobacco finishes). Looks like it's been stood a while but love the painted headstock and satin finish.

Cqb9Gmpl.jpg

How much?

Back
Top Bottom