***The Official Guitar Thread***

Man of Honour
Well, I ordered one. A wee Xmas pressie to myself :D

Which one did you get?

This is my Laney AH300

laneyah300.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone recommend an electro acoustic for c£250? I’ve got an old beater one but would quite like something a bit nicer that I can plug in for recording. Happy to go secondhand but I’m not sure which brands I should be looking at around that price point.

Man of Honour
Can anyone recommend an electro acoustic for c£250? I’ve got an old beater one but would quite like something a bit nicer that I can plug in for recording. Happy to go secondhand but I’m not sure which brands I should be looking at around that price point.

Electric guitars are very easy to recommend but with acoustics I can only say go and try some.

Soldato
Electric guitars are very easy to recommend but with acoustics I can only say go and try some.
This, plus don't rule out spending that cash installing a pickup in a guitar you already know and love. There's value in making a good thing, better.

If you do buy new, make sure you test the amplified sound. Ideally through a similar setup (maybe tricky if using for recording)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
This, plus don't rule out spending that cash installing a pickup in a guitar you already know and love. There's value in making a good thing, better.

If you do buy new, make sure you test the amplified sound. Ideally through a similar setup (maybe tricky if using for recording)

What would you recommend for a pickup? My guitar was my late fathers and although not valuable (60s EKO Ranger) it's sentimental. Be cool to record stuff, just for my own learning so I can hear myself. I was thinking of a decent USB mic but then wondered if a transducer setup or under saddle pickup would be any advantage if I ever step it up down the line (I wanna teach myself well enough to play an open mic night, it's on my before I'm 40 list).

I guess the mic is the most versatile option to start with and useful if I wanna attempt vocals and combine with another or a pickup on the guitar.

Soldato
I guess the mic is the most versatile option to start with and useful if I wanna attempt vocals and combine with another or a pickup on the guitar.
Useful, but not too convenient for recording guitar demos etc. It won't make it appealing to just plug in and get going.

The SD Woody SexyGreyFox suggests is nice as you can fit it yourself and doesn't require modifying the guitar. You can be up and running in a couple of hours to try it out!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Thanks @SexyGreyFox @LuckyBenski

Thanks, much appreciated. They can be picked up second hand for not much, see what I can do with my soundcard but likely get myself a proper interface. It's just to hear myself back in some sort of quality for now.

My dad always told me a story about Jethro Tull changing a string whilst playing live but cannot find any record of it. I'll stick with changing chords for now :D

Soldato
earlier this year I was put onto these strings but the extra lite version 10 -52 and they sound awesome.

After you wrote that I wondered if it was 'just' the huge step up from weedy 'silk & steel' strings on my Faith to the 12-54 Earthwood phosphor-bronzes I'd put on the retrieved Takamine that was putting me off. So I got some Light 11-52s and, slowly, got used to them. In the time since, the Takamine has become the guitar I prefer to pick up even though my fingerstyle preference is for even lighter strings, and it's a bit too loud for thrashing about in the living room with. To be fair to the Faith though, a £300 second hand guitar in '94-ish may well be a better instrument than a £400 new one in 2018. :)

The brighter, tenser strings definitely make some things far more satisfying, now my left hand's (kind of!) used to them. My bluegrass phase continues, and there's no doubt that the Earthwoods handle crosspicking very nicely. Whether my plectrum precision will ever do them justice is a different matter, but I'm enjoying getting better.

Anyway, thanks for giving me pause for thought. I'm about to replace the saggy old strings on the Faith and although I have some more silk & steels, I think I may step up to something a bit more lively like some 10-50's. I do like the two guitars to have distinctly different sounds, but the Earthwoods are dragging me out of the mellow muddiness.

Back
Top Bottom