The Official Hearthstone : Heroes of Warcraft Thread

Soldato
I only had a chance to play the first tutorial match before leaving for work, but man did I do a number on Hogger... He didn't know what hit him

Yeah, I'm pro already

Edit: Hmm... I just got home and the game won't load for me, just sits on that first "Hearthstone beta" saloon door splash screen forever... :s

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I got the game to work in the end :) Not sure how it just started working again a bit later in the evening...

Played all the intro games, then unlocked all the other classes quickly, and had my first casual game in play mode this morning just to complete the initial (play a game in play mode) quest...

I was a mage and went up against shaman (or warlock I forget the name - the one with the Totem hero power lol)... And for a second it looked like he had me, he still had about 26 health and I was hovering around 10, but then managed to somehow make a massive comeback to beat him - got very lucky with the cards (and no pyroblast was involved before anyone says it! I used one fireball but it was on a minion rather than him) :D

I think I'll probably focus on unlocking each character's basic set of cards now, and then maybe jump into a few ranked games or arena. Great little game - I can see myself wasting ages on it

Associate
Well I got the game to work in the end :) Not sure how it just started working again a bit later in the evening...

Played all the intro games, then unlocked all the other classes quickly, and had my first casual game in play mode this morning just to complete the initial (play a game in play mode) quest...

I was a mage and went up against shaman (or warlock I forget the name - the one with the Totem hero power lol)... And for a second it looked like he had me, he still had about 26 health and I was hovering around 10, but then managed to somehow make a massive comeback to beat him - got very lucky with the cards (and no pyroblast was involved before anyone says it! I used one fireball but it was on a minion rather than him) :D

I think I'll probably focus on unlocking each character's basic set of cards now, and then maybe jump into a few ranked games or arena. Great little game - I can see myself wasting ages on it

Nice one!

Yep the game is a lot of fun. There will be lots of other new players around at the moment, so an ideal time to start too. :D

Soldato
Nice one!

Yep the game is a lot of fun. There will be lots of other new players around at the moment, so an ideal time to start too. :D

I do feel like having watched pretty much all of TB's "Lord of the Arena" series it has put me quite far ahead of where I would be if I hadn't seen or played the game at all... Just by knowing what the different cards do and what cards the class you're playing against might have in their deck (and how much it will cost them to play it)

I was going to play some more of the Bioshock: Infinite CitC DLC this weekend but I'm starting to think it's going to be totally lost to Hearthstone :p

Associate
I do feel like having watched pretty much all of TB's "Lord of the Arena" series it has put me quite far ahead of where I would be if I hadn't seen or played the game at all... Just by knowing what the different cards do and what cards the class you're playing against might have in their deck (and how much it will cost them to play it)

I was going to play some more of the Bioshock: Infinite CitC DLC this weekend but I'm starting to think it's going to be totally lost to Hearthstone :p

TB is an excellent streamer and I enjoyed his HS streams before I got into beta as well.

There is also a prolific streamer called Ribbo, his channel is called "caravelgaming", I recommend him as well. His comentary is quite insightful if not quite as engaging as TB's - but importantly he is a much better player than TB.

Soldato
Yeah TB's vids can be frustrating sometimes as he clearly gets so caught up in trying to be entertaining plus trying to teach the viewers about the cards and tactics and things that he ends up overlooking some ridiculously obvious plays

I'll check out Ribbo, thanks :) Although I think now that I have the game to play for myself I probably won't watch streams quite so much

Soldato
Hafu is pretty much the top Arena player imo, though her stream often lacks decent commentary. Still worth a watch very rare for her to get under 9 wins a run.

I got a 6-3 score last night, pretty happy. especially as I threw away one loss as I forget to pick my cards at the start and got left with 2 6MANA and 1 9MANA!

Soldato
One of TBs latest videos he tried to build an arena deck exclusively sticking to the ranking in trumps list (and someone else for the druid-specific cards as thats what he picked)... It's been going pretty well for him so far

Associate
Well that sucks. I was within 1 turn of winning my first Arena match and the game resets itself and boots us both with a no-contest result. A few minutes later it boots me again and logs a loss only 2 turns into the match. I hope this isn't an example of how it plays consistently; I don't have any other online issues and I'm on 60meg fibre so I doubt they were my end.

Qel

Qel

Associate
Well that sucks. I was within 1 turn of winning my first Arena match and the game resets itself and boots us both with a no-contest result. A few minutes later it boots me again and logs a loss only 2 turns into the match. I hope this isn't an example of how it plays consistently; I don't have any other online issues and I'm on 60meg fibre so I doubt they were my end.

I've been in the beta for about 4 months now and never had that happen to me, sadly I just lose arena myself :p Perhaps with it now being completely open beta there are a few snags to work out but this definitely doesn't happen 'consistently'.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you guys playing through the Battle.net launcher thing? It's all working okay for me but really annoyingly every single time I launch the game my antivirus flags the battle.net launcher about 4 times in a row asking me to allow it or not (despite me accepting and adding an exception for it 4 times in a row previously)... What is it doing?

Associate
Is anybody else having trouble installing this?

I have tried everything I can find, but every time I go to install it works flawlessly up until '~500kb left', then just stops. It states that its completing at 20b/sec or so, but in fact the total remaining never changes.

I have tried the 'lan options' fix that sounded sort of related, installing to different drives, reinstalling, different language options for the client, etc.

Soldato
Damn! The arena can be so brutal... had 3 goes and went (Rogue) 2-3, (Druid) 3-3 and (Priest) 2-3 respectively. The games I won were pretty easy for the most part, but on the flipside the ones I lost must have seemed so easy to the other guys :D... Every one I just ended up with a pants starting hand, swapped it for an equally pants hand and ended up behind the whole game as a result unable to build up any momentum and looking at a set of cards like 5,5,6,6,7 and still drawing more 6+ mana cards each turn when I needed some small minions on the board... So annoying - it's not like the decks were even particularly top-heavy (I took the majority of my cards as 2,3,4 mana) Ah well, will give it another go once I amass enough gold

Permabanned
Really enjoying this game. Hopefully there will be an android version at some point as this will be great to play in airports/hotel rooms etc. when travelling with work.

Back
Top Bottom