The Official "How Much I Earn/What Job I Do" Information Thread

Essentially this, roughly for every 20 people recruited:

15 people will be in audit and 60% will leave within 4 years
3 will go into tax
1 will go into transaction services
1 person (probably less) will go into "consulting" roles

So getting into an audit role is relatively easy, but other roles can be slightly harder.

Yep, out of the 40 Interns there were only 6 of us in tax and 32 in audit, 1 in forensics and 1 in corporate finance which is pretty much exactly how you've laid it out lol :p

Didn't think my comment would cause so much debate.

Lol at the person who was claiming a 9-5 job is as risky as poker because you can made redundant at any time, what an absurd comment. There are no two ways around it, if I could have a 9-5 job making the same money as I do now, I know which one I would choose.

Poker is a skill game, but obviously there is a lot of short term luck/gamble. If we play enough hands, the variance will start to even out (although there is debate about whether it truly evens out). You should exercise proper bankroll management so that when you do hit a "down-swing" you can just move down the states where you will be less effected by the losses until you can rebuild and move back up.

As Castiel said, for everyone who wins there is 5 or more that lose, thankfully this number is closer to 20. I read once that only 5% of poker players are actually long term winners. If it was that easy, and everyone could make money doing it, then no-one could make money and it would be unsustainable.

What pains me to see when playing is the newcomers who think they can just pull up to the table and make a million over night, they're normally the people who end up going home with less (sometimes a lot less) than they came with, and they're what keeps the poker "economy" alive. If everyone was a tough regular player, the edge would be so low that only the very best could make a small amount of money, and anyone would be stupid to try and do this for a living.

It takes a lot of time and effort to be a good player, constant studying/learning is required or you will just get left behind and will not be able to compete at a high level.

I don't play much online anymore, just because its too damn tough. There are so many regulars at the stakes I want to play that it just becomes unprofitable and I don't want to pour my time into something where I'm not making considerable money. That's the reason I have shifted my focus to playing live since I turned 18, there are a lot more "fish" with more money to lose.

What a breath of fresh air, good luck to you, at least you have a firm grasp on what luck actually is and how it factors into your chosen income :)

What pains me to see when playing is the newcomers who think they can just pull up to the table and make a million over night, they're normally the people who end up going home with less (sometimes a lot less) than they came with, and they're what keeps the poker "economy" alive. If everyone was a tough regular player, the edge would be so low that only the very best could make a small amount of money, and anyone would be stupid to try and do this for a living.

I was going to take you seriously until this. You call yourself a professional but you are "pained" at the sight of free money. Lol.

It takes a lot of time and effort to be a good player, constant studying/learning is required or you will just get left behind and will not be able to compete at a high level.

This is what annoys me. You/These guys claim to be super intelligent in a game that requires a lot of skill apparently.

People from Starcraft and similar skilled games, making a transition from their parents income to play for their subscription realising that is going to come to and end.

"oh hang on i know ill play poker. I dont want a job".

If these poker plays do really think they are super skilled high IQ gamers or whatever they claim to be wouldn't be more intelligent to use the money from your winnings and go into for example forex trading ?

Which requires real education and knowledge.

I've never wondered how much anyone on here earns, seems pretty irrelevent to me.

But since we are here, 23, student, level 7, £0 :D

I was going to take you seriously until this. You call yourself a professional but you are "pained" at the sight of free money. Lol.

I don't pain at the sight of the money, I pain at the sight of a broken man going home. Sorry for having morals.

Interesting that some of the higher earners have lower educational levels. Does that indicate something perhaps?

Less time "wasted" in education? More drive?

Oh and as a Project Manager it looks like the Public Sector is ripping me off. If what people are posting is to be taken at face value. However I ain't doing bad...

...life is not just about money.

Less time "wasted" in education? More drive?

Oh and as a Project Manager it looks like the Public Sector is ripping me off. If what people are posting is to be taken at face value. However I ain't doing bad...

...life is not just about money.

Indeed, Life is not about money, I appreciate that more than most.

36-40, £30001-40000(*), IT, Level 7 Education (+ job specific training), ~40hrs a week

(*) Hopefully should be going up by a reasonable amount this year as my management have noted that I'm on >£12k less than the next lowest paid member of the team and have started doing something about it.

He was broken before he got there.

Losers gonna lose.

Yes, losers are going to lose, and if they want to sit down at the table I won't say anything to them apart from in extreme circumstances (I practically fought with my friend to get him off a table once) but it doesn't take away from the fact that this guy might have a family etc. And I can't help but feel sorry for him once the game is over.

Yes, losers are going to lose, and if they want to sit down at the table I won't say anything to them apart from in extreme circumstances (I practically fought with my friend to get him off a table once) but it doesn't take away from the fact that this guy might have a family etc. And I can't help but feel sorry for him once the game is over.

That is true. I do feel sorry the family. The guy, not so much.

I just think to myself "this guy is going to lose it to somebody, may as well be me".

Nothing you can do about it at the end of the day so why worry.

Back
Top Bottom