The Official "How Much I Earn/What Job I Do" Information Thread

Only if you're a reckless idiot.

I would actually consider working a real job where I could be made reduntant at any time to be a far more risky profession than online poker.

My dad who has worked for the forensic science service for 40 years was last week made redundant. He was the top earner at his branch and the government shut it down as they are selling the forensic work off to private firms. It's lucky he is of roughly retiring age anyway, otherwise he'd probably have to move to a completely different part of the country or become a teacher or something. He'd survive, obviously, but needless to say his life would change immensely.

If you play poker everything is in your own hands. You're never going to get fired, or snowed out of work, or be sent on a surprise business trip to outer mongolia. You know roughly how much you expect to make per month, on average, and you know it's possible that the cards may not run in you favour for a while, but that's why you gamble small and leave yourself a healthy buffer so that you can always come back.

So you feel that gambling is a more secure career choice than a job.

I expect that you are very young and will learn from experience in time.

Good luck though, you may be one of the few that do make a comfortable living, and they are few.

The Big 4 have started taking on more people again (pre crisis level recruitment)

This, A few of my uni friends have got graduate jobs lined up after uni at Deloitte and E&Y. Family friend who works at Deloitte said they were taking on nearly 1000 graduates for 2011 intake though that recruitment cycle is nearly finished.

Two words: Skill game. Thank you.

maybe I didn't explain myself fully,

I play poker on pokerstars, 5/10quid tables, yes there is a definite element of skill but its still gambling, as such nothing is 100% and as such you cannot claim it's a certainty you can reclaim your losses you could have 4500 bad beats back to back. Thats as much of a fact as your claim, you are dealing with the random, as such you should at the very least acknowledge that.

thank you

26-30 (26), £100,000+, Finance, Level 6, London, 35-55 Hours (40-45 most often)

I haven't played poker in a while. I was quite good at it before. I was thinking of picking it up again for a second income!

I do want to start my own thing up at some point as their are too many ceilings working for most companies.

Last edited:
This, A few of my uni friends have got graduate jobs lined up after uni at Deloitte and E&Y. Family friend who works at Deloitte said they were taking on nearly 1000 graduates for 2011 intake though that recruitment cycle is nearly finished.

Out of interest do you know roughly how many people were applying for those positions? I'm sure it's competitive but just wondered how competitive.

This isn't America.

Doesn't have to be and gambling doesn't have to be illegal for it to be unprofitable. If for instance the government imposed a tax of 75% on all winnings from gambling then suddenly it becomes much less desirable to gamble. It may be unlikely but that's something you're gambling on too.

I play poker on pokerstars, 5/10quid tables, yes there is a definite element of skill but its still gambling, as such nothing is 100% and as such you cannot claim it's a certainty you can reclaim your losses you could have 4500 bad beats back to back. Thats as much of a fact as your claim, you are dealing with the random, as such you should at the very least acknowledge that.

thank you

Anything were you make lots of money in short term, should be invested wisely in the future.

Nothing is certain. Some can argue the same about a 9-5.

So you feel that gambling is a more secure career choice than a job.

I expect that you are very young and will learn from experience in time.

Good luck though, you may be one of the few that do make a comfortable living, and they are few.

It's 'gambling' in the same way that card counting at blackjack is 'gambling'.

But of course, there is luck involved. That is why new players think they can win until I send them packing with nothing but a penny and a paperclip in their pocket :).

It's 'gambling' in the same way that card counting at blackjack is 'gambling'.

But of course, there is luck involved. That is why new players think they can win until I send them packing with nothing but a penny and a paperclip in their pocket :).

So you hope on noobs to make money. You wont last long.

If you think how many grinders out their wanting that piece of the pie.

To be honest I just think its recycled circulated money/winnings.

Unless you are really disciplined, you are just wasting your time .

Last edited:

thank you

You're a high stakes whale. Congrats.

Out of interest do you know roughly how many people were applying for those positions? I'm sure it's competitive but just wondered how competitive.

I have seen normal positions in London, which are looking for an Accounts Assistant have 300-400 people applying, I can only imagine the amount applying to be extremely high!

Back
Top Bottom