The Official "How Much I Earn/What Job I Do" Information Thread

Man of Honour
I just love the idea that an 18 year old student is claiming to be earning almost £30,000 a year whilst playing poker between lectures, surely he's been able to legally do that for less than a year, he got good fast :eek:

Soldato
looks like i went into the wrong career - there looks to be lots of money in lying!

not sure i have the appropriate qualifications though, and length = 0.0!!

Lol who's that aimed at? I can only really see 2 I don't believe. Apart from those posting willy sizes, if you need to reasure your self of the size your doing it wrong :p

KaHn

Soldato
[TW]Fox;18181537 said:
I just love the idea that an 18 year old student is claiming to be earning almost £30,000 a year whilst playing poker between lectures, surely he's been able to legally do that for less than a year, he got good fast :eek:

my mate 24 tables at a time on pokerstars and made 60k in a year.

playing 5nl and 100nl

Man of Honour
Lol who's that aimed at?

Not you, infact you've probably got more right to be irritated by it than anyone else, you probably work damn hard for what you get, does it not make your eyebrows raise when you see people doing as well if not better whilst appearing to do nothing? :p

Associate
16-18 (18)
Self employed (poker player)
Currently studying in level 6 education.
Anywhere between 20 and 70 hours a week.
£25001-30000

Same here, except I only started playing seriously after I finished uni (am 24 now - an old man in online poker terms!).

Had my best month recently... $30k, and no not a tourny donk :).

Congrats on discovering the easy life

What site do you play on btw?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;18181625 said:
Not you, infact you've probably got more right to be irritated by it than anyone else, you probably work damn hard for what you get, does it not make your eyebrows raise when you see people doing as well if not better whilst appearing to do nothing? :p

Doesn't bother me in the slightest I gave up caring about what other people earn long ago. I give my salary as it gives an example of the differences in industries and will go into detail (as I have done before) about what my job entails to give insite into it.

For example I know pipeline engineers on £1000/day

KaHn

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;18181625 said:

It doesn't bother me that much, I have what I have, others have what they have.

I don't think that earning my crust by something as risky as online poker is particularly sensible or sustainable. You may make £30k on year, but end up with £300k debt the next.

My nice monthy salary and pension do me just fine, my job is not particularly difficult even if the hours are a bit excessive on occasion and if people don't believe me then fine, it's not important.

Soldato
I don't think that earning my crust by something as risky as online poker is particularly sensible or sustainable. You may make £30k on year, but end up with £300k debt the next.

Not true. Depends what stakes you play and how greedy you are.

If you play 5nl for super mega hands. you can easily make £100-200 a day.

These people are known as grinders they have no life. play long hours etc.

I believe its what you do with the money. ie invest into property or starting up a business etc.

Permabanned
Not true. Depends what stakes you play and how greedy you are.

If you play 5nl for super mega hands. you can easily make £100-200 a day.

These people are known as grinders they have no life. play long hours etc.

I believe its what you do with the money. ie invest into property or starting up a business etc.

What you do with money is true whatever the source.

I was referring to the uncertainty of gambling as an occupation, and no amount of justification will convince me that it is a viable career choice for the majority of people.

Soldato
22-25
20,001-25,000
Accountancy(trainee) (Cipfa-) public sector
level 7

I didn't really want to do cipfa but with so much competition for big 4, I thought to get some experience under my belt.

I'm saving now for Cima, I am either going to pay for it myself or apply for a funding through a private sector firm.

I really want to be in private sector though.

I have a start up side project in wireless hotspots like sputnik/fon.

Permabanned
22-25
20,001-25,000
Accountancy(trainee) (Cipfa-) public sector
level 7

I didn't really want to do cipfa but with so much competition for big 4, I thought to get some experience under my belt.

I'm saving now for Cima, I am either going to pay for it myself or apply for a funding through a private sector firm.

I really want to be in private sector though.

I have a start up side project in wireless hotspots like sputnik/fon.

why do you not go into private practice/industry and do the ACA or ACCA, most firms will fund it for you. You don't need the big4.

Soldato
What you do with money is true whatever the source.

I was referring to the uncertainty of gambling as an occupation, and no amount of justification will convince me that it is a viable career choice for the majority of people.

I totally agree with you. Try explain that to my mates. All it takes is a gambling legislation to come out and stop this from happening.

They call it a career regardless and think people are jealous, that they are not able to do it themselfs.

I done it for a while at university for extra money, but never thought of it as a career or something for long term.

I have two friends who make whopping cash.

One in virtual real estate buying and selling domain names. He makes like 30k on average on 1 sale.

The other 24 tables like a robot. (he argues he hasn't gambled lol, because to this date he hasn't put any money of his own. It was money from his leaving due from his last job) Ooh the cliche

Last edited:
Associate

Only if you're a reckless idiot.

I would actually consider working a real job where I could be made reduntant at any time to be a far more risky profession than online poker.

My dad who has worked for the forensic science service for 40 years was last week made redundant. He was the top earner at his branch and the government shut it down as they are selling the forensic work off to private firms. It's lucky he is of roughly retiring age anyway, otherwise he'd probably have to move to a completely different part of the country or become a teacher or something. He'd survive, obviously, but needless to say his life would change immensely.

If you play poker everything is in your own hands. You're never going to get fired, or snowed out of work, or be sent on a surprise business trip to outer mongolia. You know roughly how much you expect to make per month, on average, and you know it's possible that the cards may not run in you favour for a while, but that's why you gamble small and leave yourself a healthy buffer so that you can always come back.

Soldato
why do you not go into private practice/industry and do the ACA or ACCA, most firms will fund it for you. You don't need the big4.

Yes I looked at SME firms, most likely where I will apply like BDO or baker Tilly. Later in the future perhaps. But I feel with less students going university in the future it will hopefully reduce the ridiculous competition to gain a grad placement now.

Its just have some friends and its a ego competition(Much like this thread) if your not working for big 4.

One is doing CFA and boosts about how only 35% pass rate.

Back
Top Bottom