*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Since the 4.04 update the phone has been a complete pos, it locked in a boot loop last night and I had to do a factory reset and now have lost all my pics vids etc which is just great as I am in Spain atm and had pics from the last couple of days. Next time it is pure Google for me none of this HTC crap.

I love it when people go all militant with the I'LL NEVER BUY A BRAND XXX PHONE EVER AGAIN because of 1 issue that in reality could have happened to anything because you have no idea why it actually happened

I love it when people go all militant with the I'LL NEVER BUY A BRAND XXX PHONE EVER AGAIN because of 1 issue that in reality could have happened to anything because you have no idea why it actually happened

Had a desire for quite a while and that was bullet proof, run to many roms to count, better signal reception and much better WiFi reliability and range. Not got a problem with the hardware just that HTC sense is the culprit and I did not really want to root and run a asop rom as the phone is under 2 months old, but it looks like I will have to.

got one of these on my new contract, best phone without being too big, i know its not much but the X and S3 seemed a bit too big for me and i just didnt fancy an S2.

so coming from an Xperia Play on GB its not too different to operate but im just wondering if there is any games and apps people class as a must? or anything that will really make this phone shine.

just a side note after all the messing with custom roms on the XP i plan to keep this to stock (for a few months atleast)

Only games to show of the screen quality and performance is dead trigger, shadow gun, the dark knight and amazing spider man games (those last 2 are pricey though!) etc.

For me, my must have apps are:

file management - airdroid, estrongs
browser - quick ics browser or xscope
games - granny smith, dead trigger, where's my perry, where's my water, sprinkle, N64 and gensoid ROM emulators
video/audio players - BS player (stream films and TV episodes via LAN and can play youtube 720P/1080P back smoothly, can't do this in the browser and youtube doesn't play back true 720P quality since the screen res. isn't 720P) and stock music player for music stored on the phone and google music for cloud storage, TV catchup for live TV
Entertainment/news - flipboard, IMDB
keyboard - either swiftkey or this
launcher/widgets - apex or nova, snowstorm for weather, APW and smooth calendar for agenda/calendar widgets, switchpro, minimalistic text
camera apps - barcode scanner, google goggles
PC control - unified remote and aWaremote for winamp control
Security and GPS tracker for phone - cerberus

Other nice apps, but not essential are exdialer, oi safe, whatsapp, soundhound, google translate

Everything else like SMS, gallery and camera etc. I just use stock sense apps.

I seem to have google calendar problems, and would appreciate if someone could confirm whether there is a problem at my end.

I basically run 2 calendars, one personal, and one we all share at work for holidays etc which is my boss`s calendar.

All of a sudden, I can only create an event on my personal calendar. If I choose my work calender from the list, it just ignores my selection and defaults back to my personal one.

I have logged on to gmail via PC, and have added an event to the work calendar no problem, and after syncing, it has appeared on my phone no problem. I just cannot add events via my phone to this specific calendar.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It seems to have sorted itself out in the end :p

Still have the odd day where it drains quicker than normal though and overall I don't think the battery life is as good, but it lasts me 1-2 days with medium sort of usage.

Going to do a factory reset after I get JB though, so will see if that brings it back to what I use to be getting.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a quick question for you,

I have been using Lapse It to take time lapses and to get the best picture quality it saves at around 4mb per picture and I'm taking hundreds of pictures at a time so the memory fills up pretty fast.

Since the HTC One S has limited storage is there anyway to send files like pictures straight to my computer as soon as they are taken without being saved to phone itself?

Don't think that is possible at all, closest thing to that is to just use the dropbox feature, which uploads them to your dropbox folder automatically and delete manually after that.

One thing that is annoying about 1080P video recording in lowish light conditions, is the poor auto-focusing, constantly changes and blurs half the time, although I think this is the same for most other smart phones anyway.......

The brightness of certain objects is a pita sometimes as well especially when recording in the kitchen with those halogen bulbs beaming down on a shiny floor and table! Reducing the exposure by 1 fixes this, but also makes everything else a bit duller/darker.

Will have to get some slow motion goodness soon :cool:

Not specifically for the S, but will give us a rough idea as to what we can expect from JB/new sense:

Not the best write up ever (plus I don't agree with some of the stuff he has put there........).

http://www.neowin.net/news/htc-sense-4-review-how-it-should-have-been-from-the-start

If they have improved the battery life by that much, imagine what it will be like for the S then :eek:

They have brought a lot of nice tweaks to sense, which aren't in stock JB afaik.

Shame that HTC appear to have killed of the new notification system though :confused: I wonder if it might only work on some applications, just doesn't make sense to not include what is one of the biggest changes in JB....but then again it is HTC :p

Last edited:
I seem to have google calendar problems, and would appreciate if someone could confirm whether there is a problem at my end.

I basically run 2 calendars, one personal, and one we all share at work for holidays etc which is my boss`s calendar.

All of a sudden, I can only create an event on my personal calendar. If I choose my work calender from the list, it just ignores my selection and defaults back to my personal one.

I have logged on to gmail via PC, and have added an event to the work calendar no problem, and after syncing, it has appeared on my phone no problem. I just cannot add events via my phone to this specific calendar.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just in case anyone else is experiencing this issue, It appears to be a phone/sense problem. When adding an event and selecting which calendar to add it to via the drop down arrow, it always defaults to your primary account. This gives the indication that its not working correctly.
But if you have selected a different calendar and proceed to add the event, it does work and it does add the event to the correct calendar. It only looks like its not working :p

Apparently HTC are aware of the issue.

Shame that HTC appear to have killed of the new notification system though :confused: I wonder if it might only work on some applications, just doesn't make sense to not include what is one of the biggest changes in JB....but then again it is HTC :p
Yeah, that's really dissapointing actually. What an odd decision :confused:

As for battery life, I'm not convinced. I suspect it's only vastly improved if you have al the power saving features on -- which let's face it most of us here do manually anyway, and/or won't want to switch on (e.g. turning off all data when sleeping). I asked my friend with an S3 about JB and he said his battery life got worse.. And we won't be able to compare screen time anymore :p

Cool that we can change the SMS theme, but according to that pic there's no dark theme :mad:

Lets just hope the battery doesn't get any worse then! :p I hope we do have the notification improvement stuff, still can't believe that HTC would leave it out......

Yeah, I really like that we can change some SMS theme stuff as well. Be great if they did introduce a proper full theme sometime in the future, which does change to a more stock ICS/JB theme rather than just the colour of a few tabs, notification area etc. Also would love to be able to change the notification bar to stock android (really want this!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom