*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Right since the update my signal has been a lot better, as mentioned earlier I work in what is basically a metal office so all mobile signals are poor, I can now at least GET a signal so I am pleased there.

Battery wise its obviously better as when its searching for a signal it drains the battery like a badboy.

Also installed juicedefender and set it to turn mobile data off apart from 15 min updates/on demand.

Currently on 49% with 1d 18h since last charge. Admittedly pretty light use, but still some use of internet, emails, viber etc.

So now im much happier with it!

Now Im wondering if its worth installing a ROM to take advantage of better skins etc

Superb!

Main thing that people don't like about it are as follows:

- limited storage (10GB for videos, photos and 2.21GB for apps) with no SD slot
- pentile matrix instead of RGB (although the screen is very good and very under rated IMO)
- for some, poor signal (although seems to only be a problem if you have weak signal to begin with and the last update has really improved it)
- majority of black models have chipping problems (there is a newer design out, which has solved this though, but people still seem to get the older versions a fair bit), mine is still perfect apart from the USB port. The grey model doesn't have this problem and is probably better for your mum tbh if she is the kind to throw the phone into her handbag with all the other stuff :p OF course this won't be a problem with a case on it (I recommend the diztronic matte TPU case or tough case for superb protection)
- crap NLED

There are 2 versions floating around, one has the S4 chipset and one has the S3 chipset, the S4 chipset is the one you want, it is superior and better than the GS 3/X quad core overall. Etailers and HTC have not given them different names though and the prices for both are the same. Main advantages of the S4 over the S3 is power efficiency, performance and heat. Sometimes etailers will show that the phone spec is S4, however, it might not be, so you will have to ring/email them confirming it.

I doubt your mum will notice those areas and be bothered about them apart from battery life perhaps? (although the S3 version should still last a day or 2 with standard usage like text, calls as long as signal is good and appropriate control of things like data connection etc.)

Apart from the above, everything else is in the same league as the GS 3 and one X and in some parts surpasses both of them.

Last edited:
Superb!

Main thing that people don't like about it are as follows:

- limited storage (10GB for videos, photos and 2.21GB for apps) with no SD slot
- pentile matrix instead of RGB (although the screen is very good and very under rated IMO)
- for some, poor signal (although seems to only be a problem if you have weak signal to begin with and the last update has really improved it)
- majority of black models have chipping problems (there is a newer design out, which has solved this though, but people still seem to get the older versions a fair bit), mine is still perfect apart from the USB port. The grey model doesn't have this problem and is probably better for your mum tbh if she is the kind to throw the phone into her handbag with all the other stuff :p OF course this won't be a problem with a case on it (I recommend the diztronic matte TPU case or tough case for superb protection)
- crap NLED

There are 2 versions floating around, one has the S4 chipset and one has the S3 chipset, the S4 chipset is the one you want, it is superior and better than the GS 3/X quad core overall. Etailers and HTC have not given them different names though and the prices for both are the same. Main advantages of the S4 over the S3 is power efficiency, performance and heat. Sometimes etailers will show that the phone spec is S4, however, it might not be, so you will have to ring/email them confirming it.

I doubt your mum will notice those areas and be bothered about them apart from battery life perhaps? (although the S3 version should still last a day or 2 with standard usage like text, calls as long as signal is good and appropriate control of things like data connection etc.)

Apart from the above, everything else is in the same league as the GS 3 and one X and in some parts surpasses both of them.

Might be worth noting the rubbish HTC customer service and epically slow updates!

After taking my HTC one S to thailand and going snorkling and diving (not with the phone, just chucked it in a bag) it seems to be alright. Got a little scratch on the screen and my sweaty hands seem to stained the case a bit, although I do seem to be able to scratch the stuff off.

The 10GB storage for Vids and music is pretty annoying as I've easily filled it up.

Would have been be pretty much perfect with a HD screen and more storage /micro sd slot.

TBF, the customer service isn't a problem for everyone, some people have had great experiences and others have had terrible experiences, it is the same for pretty much every company (only apple seem to have the very best experience at a consistent level :o :p). That one case by the guy whos phone was effectively being held "hostage" was very bad but in the end he did get a brand new one X :D

And they did deal with the chipping issue on the black models pretty quickly within a month or 2 of it being released iirc and anyone who encountered the issue could do a straight swap in shop for a new S (although the stores were being difficult with it and reluctant to do it at all), where as with the iphone 5, I don't think they have even addressed it yet and have said that "every phone does it" :p :rolleyes:

The slow updates is also annoying, however, I learned a few days ago that it was the same for the GS 2 sim free devices, they were the last to get the ICS update, branded phones got the update way before them (much longer wait than what we had to wait). Plus there isn't much that can be done to improve the S even more, apart from signal and wifi performance amongst other wee things. We should be getting jellybean in the next few weeks too, no other phones have been updated to JB yet (apart from the note II and LTE GS 3 being released with it already put on) and the GS 3 was suppose to have JB near the end of August according to Samsung, only polish and swedish devices have got the update, iirc.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sounds perfect for her then. Slow updates, limited storage and other such issues are of no concern for my Mum! I'll just have to check it's the S4 version so she gets the better battery life, though a day or two will still be ok. She lives in Canada though, so don't know if that will change what versions they have there?

HTC customer service has been great for me, they picked up my Desire and my housemates Desire Z, took them away and repaired them free then delievered them back. Couldn't fault them really. But again could be totally different where my Mum is :)

http://www.techradar.com//news/phon...ean-release-date-when-will-you-get-it-1087344

Update:HTC has confirmed its One X and One S devices will be getting Android 4.1 in November and December respectively, and the update will land with an enhanced version of Sense – cunningly named Sense 4+ after its debut on the HTC One X+.

December (which for us sim free owners in the UK will probably mean January)......... xxxx that!

Going to look at the rooting and flashing custom ROM guides today.

Last edited:
Good to hear! :)

Had a look at rooting and flashing guides tonight (properly!) Seems like there is so much more to do than Samsung phones (iirc all I had to do, was put mobile in download mode, load like 4 files in odin and hit start, reboot and put mobile back into dl mode, load the root file into odin, press start, reboot and then download whatever ROM I wanted, put on SD and boot mobile into receovery and flash, clear cache etc. and that was it), where as with HTC, you have a fair bit more to do. Don't think I can be assed! :p

Although after reading up on viper sense ROM, I really like the looks of it, but as usual you read the threads and always see people having annoying niggles! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom