*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Caporegime
Did you read the review? Along with other reviews and users experience? :rolleyes:

Plus have a look at xda, plenty of other people have said the same even people that have/had the X as well.

Why don't you think it is? (the only big advantage it has is the screen imo) I have stated why and what I have said is backed up by FACTS from expert and user reviews.

Man of Honour
Did you read the review? Along with other reviews and users experience? :rolleyes:

Plus have a look at xda, plenty of other people have said the same even people that have/had the X as well.

Why don't you think it is? (the only big advantage it has is the screen imo) I have stated why and what I have said is backed up by FACTS from expert and user reviews.

Don't be getting upset. I've read everything there is to read. I think that in use, the X is clearly going to be better, and I expect to find as much when I use them.

It's extremely close and personal requirements could tip it either way, but I still consider the X to be the better phone. If you think the S is better then fair enough, it's lucky for you that it's cheaper.

Caporegime
:rolleyes:

Hardly getting upset, it is more putting up with your typical responses for stuff like this :p

You always say that whatever you have or are getting is better but don't state why.......and come across like you think your opinion is right and anyone else's that disagrees with you is wrong.

Just like in the other thread, to do with cnet being bias to the 4s, everything I stated there is facts and is also backed up by non-bias users, experts, yet you say you disagree but you don't state why that is, again......

Again, enlighten me as to what areas (apart from the screen) are better than the S? You keep saying better, I don't think so etc. but don't say why you think it is.......

Also price has nothing to do with it as I am sure if I really wanted and tried, I could get 3 to give me the X for a small price up front (since I have been with them for over 6 years and have referred plenty of people to their network as well), but I choose not to for the reasons that I have stated as well the experts and other users, WE believe the S is the better mobile overall for said reasons.

So apart from the screen (which I know is a big factor) and better quality still photos, NFC and more storage, what else does the X have over the S?

Some of those things may mean a lot to some users, however, when the S has better video recording, is faster/smoother in general usage and is clearly shown by benchmarks, better battery life, by the sounds of it, the best audio there is (of course it will probably be the same with the X as well, will find out soon enough....), easier for developers to work with, better design/build quality (yes some may prefer the feel of the X and love the white, but you can't deny that the MAO feels higher quality and overall the phone is just more comfy to hold and use, however, this isn't much of an issue for me personally), newer tech. and due to some of this new tech. the mobile operates at very cool running temps, in fact a lot of reviews have stated that it is the coolest "feeling" mobile when playing games etc.

Anyway, there is no point going into more detail as you won't agree with a single thing that I said there :D :p

Nexus18, here's a fairly decent battery life test against the One X running 1.27 firmware. http://www.htc-hottocome.com/2012/04/video-htc-one-x-vs-htc-one-s-test-de_06.html

Nice, thanks! :D Battery life really is superb! :cool:

Also regarding the MAO:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/11/2940608/htc-one-s-micro-arc-oxidation-scratch-crack-chip

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Okay then Nexus, here is why I think the One X is better:

Screen: A huge point. This is the most important thing for me. The One X screen is finally a deluxe version of the iPhone screen, the screen that I still think is the best one around. You can keep your SAMOLED stuff. There's also the fact it's physically bigger as well which I think is a positive.

Storage: Twice as much, definitely going to be useful for a lot of people. Cloud storage is generally rubbish.

Design: I think the One X in white is the best looking phone out there. Period. The S is very nice but I don't like it as much.

Internals: Both very capable and I expect them to perform more or less equally and if not, I expect HTC to fix it with a software update as it will almost certainly be software related.

Camera: You've stated the camera is better on the X so that's a pretty big point, I'm not too bothered about the video recording on either.

As for the battery, the One X battery seems fine so far based on what I'm hearing from people. Sure, the One S will inevitably be better, but not by so much that I'd actually care. You can't really argue against any of that as it's entirely my opinion and/or fact. :)

If I thought the S was better, I'd be getting one instead... ;)

Soldato
Some say a camera fix is coming with 1.28. HTC are still behind the best when it comes to imaging software tbh.

The X and S have identical* cameras btw Nexus, it looks like only the video encoder is different.

*a different sensor/lens batch will have a bigger impact than model difference.

Caporegime
Firstly edit my post above as I was typing on my mobile and accidentally hit post reply, which had only 2 lines so :p

Okay then Nexus, here is why I think the One X is better:

Screen: A huge point. This is the most important thing for me. The One X screen is finally a deluxe version of the iPhone screen, the screen that I still think is the best one around. You can keep your SAMOLED stuff. There's also the fact it's physically bigger as well which I think is a positive.

Storage: Twice as much, definitely going to be useful for a lot of people. Cloud storage is generally rubbish.

Design: I think the One X in white is the best looking phone out there. Period. The S is very nice but I don't like it as much.

Internals: Both very capable and I expect them to perform more or less equally and if not, I expect HTC to fix it with a software update as it will almost certainly be software related.

Camera: You've stated the camera is better on the X so that's a pretty big point, I'm not too bothered about the video recording on either.

As for the battery, the One X battery seems fine so far based on what I'm hearing from people. Sure, the One S will inevitably be better, but not by so much that I'd actually care. You can't really argue against any of that as it's entirely my opinion and/or fact. :)

If I thought the S was better, I'd be getting one instead... ;)

FINALLY!

That is all I wanted :p And of course that is in your opinion as to why the X is better than the S ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=o-z5S6bwrV4&vq=hd1080

that stuttering is beyond a joke - what is going on there?

Yeah, it seems that HTC still haven't got this sorted on any of their phones yet :(

It is obviously down to the software side of things though, and I doubt there will be a fix (hope there is though) as all of their android mobiles have the same problems regarding camera and have never been fixed. Although considering their stance on the camera now, they may actually take these problems more seriously now :)

The X and S have identical* cameras btw Nexus, it looks like only the video encoder is different.

*a different sensor/lens batch will have a bigger impact than model difference.

I know, but when you look at the comparisons, the X photos look a good bit better and the video recording on the S looks better :confused: :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I know, but when you look at the comparisons, the X photos look a good bit better and the video recording on the S looks better :confused: :p

A One X made in China might use a slightly better Sony sensor but a One X made in Taiwan could have an average Samsung sensor. The next batch could be different again, who knows... :D

Associate
And of course that is in your opinion as to why the X is better than the S ;)

You can look at the two subjectively all day and decide one is better than the other, or even convince yourself of that fact, but when it comes down to it, objectively the One X is the 'better' phone. It was designed as such, and is therefore marketed as such.

There's no denying that someone may prefer one to the other, but Robbo has outlined the facts as to why the X is better than the S. Not really an opinion.

Caporegime
I should have made that last post more clear. I meant the design part is his own opinion, however, many people and review sites have stated that the s is better than the X regarding this, and that is why quite a few people have gone for s instead yet they were going to buy the X until they held both.

Some of his points are facts which I also mentioned, however, the s has the better internals etc. Which do impact actual usage and thus when you look at the overall picture the s does seem like the better phone for those areas, which is true as has been stated everywhere, the only thing that let's the s down a lot when compared to the X is the screen and storage (although it would be nice to have more or a sd slot still))

I guess will just have to agree that both are equally as good as each other an they have their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently the sound on this thing is awesome, can anyone confirm?

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_s-review-746p5.php

The HTC One S performance in our audio quality test came as a really pleasant surprise to us. It appears that the Beats influence hasn't been limited to a single equalizer preset this time as the smartphone delivers the cleanest output we have seen from any device so far.
When connected to an active external amplifier, the HTC One S audio is simply flawless - volume levels are a little above average and it got excellent scores on every part of our test.
What's most impressive though is the One S retains virtually the same performance when you plug in a pair of headphones. The stereo crosstalk takes the tiniest dip of any smartphone we've seen so far, while the rest of the readings are either totally unaffected or worsen by an undetectable amount. Volume levels remain the same too, so it's arguably the most impressive overall performance to date.

Permabanned
OP
my X is currently on Ebay. Where has my S gone.........oh it's in my pocket I didn't realise :)

I just didn't get on with the X, I realised bigger was not always better. The S is the sweet spot for me. Browsing web pages is not massively different, on the X you can browse without zooming in but it isn't that troublesome to do so. I also realised I like phones to be portable still. I'll never have a phone bigger than 4.3" now.

Where are all the Samsung Galaxy S2 owners who slated the Sensations higher QHD superior resolution because of the blacks / colours of the S2. Similar thing here, theres a noticeable difference between the blacks/colours of the X and S.

Quick comparison of black levels. On my monitor it's very hard to tell; however play it on both phones and theres a difference.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah the blacks will always be **** on anything apart from the AMOLED based screens, not too much of an issue, however, if you use a layout like mrk's then it kind of is :p

I wasn't that impressed with the sensation's screen, even though it did look a bit sharper than the GS 2, the screen still had washed out colours (but it was no were as bad as the desire HD's screen), which I CAN'T stand!!!!!! :mad: :p Give me over saturated colours with a lower res. any day of the week! :p But the screen on the X for sharpness and more "natural" colours is much better overall and no doubt the bigger screen is great for films, photos and browsing but for me a 4.3" screen is big enough :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is nothing wrong with the Sensation screen except when you go slightly off angle, then it loses all vibrancy.

This would be fine if it was only tight angles, but it's very pronounced in general.

I forgot to mention that the X has NFC too, hardly a big feature but a nice bonus all the same, the front camera is better too.

Back
Top Bottom