*** The official HTC One S thread ***

That would be half a mile away! Don't exactly bang my head on the mast when I come out the front door :D

:D

You should still get better signal than that (with the GS 2).

Hell - believe what a phone salesman :eek: I don't set any store by it them but you asked.

I pinched the Tesco sim out the Mrs's iPhone but first installed Speedtest on her phone .... 827ms (ping) 0.01Mbps up and down :eek: In my One S Tesco signal was around -103dBm and only 'G'. Three sim in One S -95dBm and 'H'. Tesco sim in One S gave a Speedtest of 637ms 0.03Mbps up and down. Tesco sim in iPhone gives 4 bars out of 5 but in One S it fluctuated between 1 and 2 bars though it did its full bar trick for about 30 secs too? Can't get a signal reading off the iPhone so apart from the four bars I've no idea what signal strength really is.

I disregard everything that any salesman/saleswoman in a shop tells me or what there website says :p

hmm, I just guess the S isn't an option at all for you then :( unless HTC do manage to fix it..........

This is your second S now?

Try this out richy, here you can change the WCDMA to GSM only:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=13457396&postcount=2

Might be some other useful info/settings there for you as well.

How do I get one to *Try* - apart from buying one then sending it back within the statuary period.

Well for Robbo, "trying" a mobile out generally means buying it sim free, using it for a week and if he doesn't like it, it goes in the glass presentation case with the other hundred or so mobiles :p :D

Oooh nearly got 20mbps bitrate on videos working.

Oh another reason to root Nexus18 :)

¬_¬.................

Nice one! :D

Can't wait to see some of the recordings :)

Sooooo tempted to root especially as there is no word at all about any updates for the S, not even for the X, what the hell are HTC doing at the minute, they have 2 phones that need to be fixed/improved yet they are being very quiet.........

Last edited:
Man I have to say I was so up for getting a One S (2 days until I can upgrade) but I'm having my doubts after all this talk of signal problems! Do we think it can be fixed with a software update? Surely..

Well for Robbo, "trying" a mobile out generally means buying it sim free, using it for a week and if he doesn't like it, it goes in the glass presentation case with the other hundred or so mobiles :p :D

You don't know how tempted I am to buy a fancy glass case, and put them all in and take a picture. :cool: :p

Man I have to say I was so up for getting a One S (2 days until I can upgrade) but I'm having my doubts after all this talk of signal problems! Do we think it can be fixed with a software update? Surely..

It seems hard to say really. Some people don't have any problems and others have quite bad ones. It could be something to do with certain types of networks and new/old masts. Who knows!

Go into a phone shop and ask for one, then explain to the salesperson that you are clued up and want to be left alone. They usually oblige.

Then what .... RUN :D

More seriously I've had a look at a live one on the shop but I would need to use one at home?

:D

You should still get better signal than that (with the GS 2).

I KNOW :mad: But honestly it is worse than the One S? Had them side by side and GS2 is always less than the S in Network Sig info. As I said the GS2 could be faulty as most say what a good phone it is. BTW, these test only done in around our yard.

I disregard everything that any salesman/saleswoman in a shop tells me or what there website says :p

hmm, I just guess the S isn't an option at all for you then :( unless HTC do manage to fix it..........

It is and it isn't. Although it drops signal a lot in the weaker areas I don't seem to miss many calls? On the other site I work on coverage on the Three checker is poorer and although the Motorola never suffers there the One S can spend 70% of the day without signal. I might try a One X. I've looked at both the GS3 and the One X and in the hand the X feels the better. Other than that there seems little in it.

This is your second S now?

Try this out richy, here you can change the WCDMA to GSM only:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=13457396&postcount=2

Might be some other useful info/settings there for you as well.

Thanks for that but Three are 3G only so not an option.

LMAO :D I'm fast heading that way myself :eek:

Sooooo tempted to root especially as there is no word at all about any updates for the S, not even for the X, what the hell are HTC doing at the minute, they have 2 phones that need to be fixed/improved yet they are being very quiet.........

I wouldn't have put up with that three dot menu taking up screen area :confused: Get it unlocked and rooted :cool:

Then what .... RUN :D

More seriously I've had a look at a live one on the shop but I would need to use one at home?

Well, logically thinking it would be wise to get one and see if the signal is much good, if not, then you can return it under the 7 day DSR (or whatever it is :p).

I wouldn't have put up with that three dot menu taking up screen area :confused: Get it unlocked and rooted :cool:

Indeed, everything is a lot nicer with that utterly retarded menu gone. :cool:

Quietly brilliant...

Well, just quietly.

Depends where you live. My probs are out in the sticks but in the city there isn't too much of an issue. My mileage anyway. Some have aprob and a lot don't seem to. Apart from that it's a cracking phone.

You don't know how tempted I am to buy a fancy glass case, and put them all in and take a picture. :cool: :p

Please do!!! :D

quietly brilliant...

Well, just quietly.

haha :D

@Richy

Strange, I personally found the GS 3 to feel smaller in the hand than the X despite being slightly larger.

The feel of the plastic on the X is much much better though :cool: Not to mention much nicer looking :p

3 also have a GSM connection, they just haven't given you access to it via the normal way, I did the exact same with my spica on the 3 network as it was the only way to get decent voice reception.

f2vmi.png

I have noticed the last few weeks though that some apps are being updated with the new ICS button menu and at the same time the bottom 3 dot menu button is also being removed :D i.e. awaremote and a few other apps that I have installed, still a lot left like IMDB etc. though :( I also think unified remote removed it last night (the bottom 3 dot menu button), not an app I use an awful lot so can't recall exactly.

ICS is still only on like 10% of android devices (officially that is).

haha, very cute :D

Love the excitement in dogs faces when it is playtime :D

I sometimes record in portrait mode as well :o :p

It certainly is, probably the best feature of sense V4 regarding the camera for me :D

Mobile Fun sent this to me today, so a mini review of it below :)

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1089397-cover-mate-desktop-cradle/

Once again, thanks to Mobile-Fun for providing me with the Cover-Mate desktop cradle for the HTC One S to review.

They have a huge range of desktop cradles for a whole lot of mobiles, so be sure to have a look to see if there is a nice cradle/desk stand for your mobile :)

Their customer service is top quality, especially delivery times, dispatched yesterday around 16:00 via Royal Mail First Class and received this morning around 10:30, every other etailer using the same shipping method always takes at least 2 days to get here.

Packaging:

The dock arrived in a standard see through rectangular plastic box. Be very careful when opening the package and removing the card board box containing the cradle though, as I managed to cut my finger on the relatively sharp corners of the plastic box :o

Within the box, we are supplied with the following:

• User Manual
  • Cradle
  • USB Cable

83xSc.jpg

A Look at the Cover-Mate Desktop Cradle:

Lets take a look at the features first:

• Syncs and charges your device at the same time
  • Allows horizontal viewing media
  • Stylish black finish
  • Net Weight: 90g
  • Dimension: 140 x 50 x 30 mm
  • Input: DC 5V 500mA
  • Output: DC 5V 500mA
  • Removable Insert to allow mobiles with a case attached to be docked as well

One of the features stated on Mobile-Fun's product description page is the following:

• LED light indicator

However, there is no LED light indicator on the cradle. Not that it is needed for the One S as it already has a notification LED, which is orange when charging.

The dock is very well built, it feels solid and not cheaply made/put together unlike a lot of other cradles. It has a glossy finish on the front, where as on the back it is just your standard/plain plastic with no glossy finish, I personally would have preferred it to be the exact same on the front as well, however, all in all it looks nice anyway, just a bit more on the "cheap" side, in terms of looks for the front. All the edges are nicely rounded and smooth to touch.

One particular feature of this cradle is to support mobiles even with a case attached, in order to do this you have to remove the "removable insert" which increases the size of the docking area (will look at this later on to see how handy this is ;), if you aren't using a case and keep your mobile "naked" then simply "plug" the "removable insert" back in.

ruGst.jpg

The cradle has a nice weight to it, it isn't too heavy and not too light (90g), it is a decent size as well (140 x 50 x 30 mm), obviously it is wider than most cradles as the One S micrco USB port is on the side as opposed to the more common place, the bottom of the mobile.

The USB cable that is supplied with the cradle is long enough for average sized desks, would have liked it to have been a bit longer. A bit of force is required in order to remove the Micro USB from the cradle.

On the bottom of the cradle you have four rubber mounts, this is to provide some grip when sat on the desk and to stop the cradle from scratching your desk. They feel like they are strongly glued on and won't come off with ease any time soon.

Y6n7D.jpg

Cradle In Action:

Plugging the mobile in and removing it is easy enough, a bit of force is required to remove the One S, so you will need to hold the dock down whilst removing the device.

The mobile sits at a slight angle, there is no way to adjust the angle yourself.

With the "removable insert" removed, the One S with the Case-Mate Tough attached, fitted perfectly well :eek:, as well as the TPU gel case. I imagine that this will work with the majority of cases, maybe a few exceptions i.e. some of the Otterbox cases. I honestly was not expecting the One S to fit with the Tough case attached.

Case Mate Tough attached to the S and placed in the Cradle:

CSbik.jpg NSsWP.jpg

TPU Gel Case attached to the S and placed in the cradle:

DbWdC.jpg

The One S "naked" and placed in the Cradle:

p1ose.jpg

I know for some other cradles, cases attached are a big problem, some only work with the thin hard plastic cases attached.

I was a bit disappointed in some ways when I found out that the One S micro USB port was on the side as I really wanted a cradle that would keep the device vertical whilst charging at the same time (you can get cradles like this for the S etc. however, it isn't as convenient as simply just plug in and remove, you have to place the device in the cradle and then plug in a USB cable thus a bit more hassle is involved then). However, in some ways it is actually better that the USB port is on the side regarding cradles as it now means that you can watch TV via TV catchup app, watch a film/TV episode or play a N64 game using a PS3/X360 controller WHILST charging at the same time and in landscape mode, so I have no complaints about the USB port on the side :p

yKFTP.jpg lAtoV.jpg

Conclusion:

I am very impressed with this desktop cradle overall, I knew that I would like it before I even got it today going by the pics etc. however, having used it now, I am even more impressed.

The only thing, which I would have liked is for there to be no gloss finish at all as generally glossy plastic is rather cheap looking IMO :p and the cradle most certainly does not feel cheaply made.

It does exactly what is required but goes one step further in regards to the "removable insert", which allows me to use the cradle even when I have the Case Mate Tough attached to the S.

It is maybe a bit on the expensive side (£17.95), however, looking at what else there is on Mobile Fun and other sites, there doesn't appear to be anything that competes with this cradle when it comes to the looks/build and most importantly allowing mobiles with cases attached to be docked, whilst being able to charge at the same time.

The only "real" con of the entire "package" was the packaging itself :p Just need to be a little bit more careful.

Pros:

• Stylish Look
  • Perfect fit even with a thick case attached to the S
  • Good Build Quality

Cons:

• Packaging has sharp corners/edges
  • Glossy Finish on the front

Thanks for reading and I hope this review has been helpful and as always any questions, ask away :)

Hell Nexus18,

Got the HTC one S now and had a play.

First Impressions are
Its very thin, scared I might snap it eek!
Its fairly bigger than the x10, im struggling to use it single handed, glad I didnt get anything larger tbh.
Its very fast, I have ICS on my transformer so pleased with it on the phone

Not keen on the huge number of apps that are pre-installed tbh.

Back
Top Bottom